Anybody had any luck with mackerel chunks?

Rate this topic

17 hours ago, FlackaWalkaFlame said:

Ok, so sounds like I should keep at it and catch some fish on chunks. 

Do you guys have a preference of how "frozen" you chunks are? A frozen solid chunk stays on the hook better but probably doesn't give out as much scent. On the other hand a thawed chunk produces more scent but can be torn off the hook easier.

Whats your preference?

I like to soak mine in salt water for 15 mins to get them slightly soft and to look more natural, but I don't think it really matters.

26 mins ago, Msteffen said:

Do you guys refreeze the mackeral chunks if you dont use them, are do they get to mushy after another freeze?

Mike 

Few  years back, someone had a fantastic detailed account of how they would create a slush brine with water and ice, and store the macks in that.  When they want to use them again, the macks came out smelling and behaving like fresh bait.  They stayed on the hook and fish loved 'em. 

INSANELY awesome tide this week to get fresh clams, and I of course, was in CT. D'oh!

1 hour ago, Msteffen said:

Do you guys refreeze the mackeral chunks if you dont use them, are do they get to mushy after another freeze?

Mike 

I might fish them the next day at most, but after that usually mush.  

Marty

52 mins ago, Scott Charlton said:

Few  years back, someone had a fantastic detailed account of how they would create a slush brine with water and ice, and store the macks in that.  When they want to use them again, the macks came out smelling and behaving like fresh bait.  They stayed on the hook and fish loved 'em. 

INSANELY awesome tide this week to get fresh clams, and I of course, was in CT. D'oh!

Link to the thread on brining Bait, thanks StriperSurg!