Dansmith

Kauai on the fly

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Hi guys. I’ve been in Kauai for the last 4 days on my honeymoon. Every morning my wife is sleeping in, I’ve been trying to fish Kalapaki bay from shore with my 8wt, intermediate, and I’ve used fleece crabs, surf candies, clousers, and “barracuda tubes” but I haven’t had more than one 5” jack hit a little shrimpy gotcha. 

Looking to make the most of my fishing time here, saltwater or fresh, I just can’t justify a guide on this trip... any advice? If you know any spots that are good shots feel free to PM to avoid a spot burn. 

Use grubs or live seaweed like Joe Olivas uses there (WWJ of YouTube). You're missing out if you don't use a guide. Joe can take you whipping where he got his 100lb GT on light gear from shore. He own's his own photo studio on Kauai. 

Trout season opens this weekend at Kokee. Wailua river on the eastside had excellent small mouth fishing don't know how the recent floods affected the fish.  North at Wanini or Anini has shallow flats for bone fish. Don't need a guide if you know what your after. let me know if you need more info.