Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rxx2

Proper maintenance?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

With regards to spinning reels,, I've searched and read some threads that mention proper maintenance, ie with proper maintenance your reel will last for years. I haven't found what that generally entails. I like to come home, spray with freshwater and let it dry. Should I tighten the drag down, loosen the drag then spray, does it matter? Should I be doing more? What do.you generally consider proper maintenance for your spinning reel?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Ben

fish as normal, i wash my with fresh water and let it dry too... but then six month or less i open my reel up to do service and pre grease again if needed.

Found these from a previous thread, they seem reasonable? Says Okuma but seems applicable to any reel.

Okuma......keep an eye on your drag system and bail fulcrum joints. A very good tool that should be in every surcasters and skishers bag PM is a can of Corrosion X. This stuff works great and will prevent damage to your aluminum reels body finish and will penetrate into all joints and prevent siezing of working parts. It will not hurt your line either . Your reel will look as good as new, you just wipe it off when you are going to use it. Been using it for several years. I have all Accurates reels for conventional and not one has a salt spot on it anywhere. Good stuff. True Value

hardware carries it in small cans or you can just go to their web site and order..

As far as your reel internals.....Reel X on bearings every now and then and Cals Grease for your gearset and case screws. You can use Cals Grease on your drag system if it gets dowsed pretty regurarly. Hope that helps.

Been using Wd-40 for as long  as I can remember,ages, put it on, leave it for a few minutes and wipe it off,works great and all shiny 

Marc..