Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

I'm 15, should i get a 12" tracker jon boat and a 6-7 hp outboard or a kayak for long island sound fishing? I like the idea of bringing others out on the boat and have fun/playing music etc. kayak is half the price, yet slower with only room for one, and even fishing kayaks seem awkward to fish from too me. No budget for a Hobie.

What part of the sound?  Kayak is safer imo.  A 12 foot boat has no business being in the salt unless you are in a flat calm back bay. I had a 16 foot aluminum that felt way too small some days in the eastern LIS, switched to a kayak and I can basically fish any day i want unless it is blowing 15-20 South winds.

Never been there, but if you weigh the pros and cons the kayak will win hands down.

Jon boat:

Needs a trailer, fuel for motor, fuel (for vehicle)to drive boat to and from boat launch, trailer and boat registration and all the required safety gear.

Kayak:

Needs fuel to get to boat launch, fuel (food) for the operator, all required safety gear.

I had toyed with the idea of getting a boat years ago, but did the math and the kayak I ended up buying was the best choice I could have made. My only limitations are whether I have an access point for any given body of water.

Make sure you do a thorough comparison before deciding, and don't regret your choice (as it will be what YOU wanted in the end)!

DO NOT get a john boat (flat bottom) for use in the sound, you'll regret it and there are better options in your price range. I have seen my buddy sink his in a flat lake bass fishing when reaching over to lip a bass and he is only 130lbs. They are super unstable with 1 person never mind with you and your buddies messing around. You can find a V-hull aluminum boat around 14' with a 9.9 pretty cheap if you look hard and be patient. My first boat was a 14' lund with a deep V with a 1980s Evinrude 9.9(the best motor I have ever owned) that I got for $900. I used to take that boat around sandy hook on a choppy day with tons of fishing gear, a BBQ, a cooler full of "soda", my dog, and an overweight buddy. We could both stand on the bench seats and cast in 2 -3ft seas and be "safe" and stable. I took that boat every where, the Delaware in the by the Trenton bridge during the  spring melt, I drove it to  florida and fished Okichobie and the gulf, the susquhanna, the Hudson, the raritan bay, out front on good days, and about every lake within a few hours of northern jersey. If you get a john boat you will have to coordinate every movement with your friend, very carefully watch the weather, and if your are anything like me when I was 15 you will probably sink it and loose all of your fishing gear. Find a 14ft V-hull and a trusty old 2 stroke 9.9 and I promise you will not regret it. Also, I don't know if you need to transport it or have a license at 15 but a 14ft V-hulls can be put on the roof a SUV or in the bed of a pickup if your creative. Me and my buddy used to put it on a safari rack of the roof of my XJ when we couldn't get a trailer to the water we wanted to fish and it had a 6.5'' lift and 35s. I used the winch to hold the bow and to ratched straps on the stern to the trailer hitch, throw the 9.9, fuel tank, battery, trolling motor, fishfinder, fishing gear, and other crap in the back with the seats folded down and I could get that boat anywhere. This post took me down memory lane I miss that trusty little boat. 

42 mins ago, donttreadonmear15 said:

DO NOT get a john boat (flat bottom) for use in the sound, you'll regret it and there are better options in your price range. I have seen my buddy sink his in a flat lake bass fishing when reaching over to lip a bass and he is only 130lbs. They are super unstable with 1 person never mind with you and your buddies messing around. You can find a V-hull aluminum boat around 14' with a 9.9 pretty cheap if you look hard and be patient. My first boat was a 14' lund with a deep V with a 1980s Evinrude 9.9(the best motor I have ever owned) that I got for $900. I used to take that boat around sandy hook on a choppy day with tons of fishing gear, a BBQ, a cooler full of "soda", my dog, and an overweight buddy. We could both stand on the bench seats and cast in 2 -3ft seas and be "safe" and stable. I took that boat every where, the Delaware in the by the Trenton bridge during the  spring melt, I drove it to  florida and fished Okichobie and the gulf, the susquhanna, the Hudson, the raritan bay, out front on good days, and about every lake within a few hours of northern jersey. If you get a john boat you will have to coordinate every movement with your friend, very carefully watch the weather, and if your are anything like me when I was 15 you will probably sink it and loose all of your fishing gear. Find a 14ft V-hull and a trusty old 2 stroke 9.9 and I promise you will not regret it. Also, I don't know if you need to transport it or have a license at 15 but a 14ft V-hulls can be put on the roof a SUV or in the bed of a pickup if your creative. Me and my buddy used to put it on a safari rack of the roof of my XJ when we couldn't get a trailer to the water we wanted to fish and it had a 6.5'' lift and 35s. I used the winch to hold the bow and to ratched straps on the stern to the trailer hitch, throw the 9.9, fuel tank, battery, trolling motor, fishfinder, fishing gear, and other crap in the back with the seats folded down and I could get that boat anywhere. This post took me down memory lane I miss that trusty little boat. 

Thank you!! Sounds like fun 

4 mins ago, Mainefishhunter7737 said:

DO NOT GET A JOHN BOAT!!! One of my dad's buddies drowned because the water was to cold and the John boat swamped. John boats swamp very easy and are not safe at all!

Good to know, thanks

44 mins ago, FishermanTim said:

Never been there, but if you weigh the pros and cons the kayak will win hands down.

Jon boat:

Needs a trailer, fuel for motor, fuel (for vehicle)to drive boat to and from boat launch, trailer and boat registration and all the required safety gear.

Kayak:

Needs fuel to get to boat launch, fuel (food) for the operator, all required safety gear.

I had toyed with the idea of getting a boat years ago, but did the math and the kayak I ended up buying was the best choice I could have made. My only limitations are whether I have an access point for any given body of water.

Make sure you do a thorough comparison before deciding, and don't regret your choice (as it will be what YOU wanted in the end)!

True, plus I am on a 15 yr old budget 

4 mins ago, Mainefishhunter7737 said:

DO NOT GET A JOHN BOAT!!! One of my dad's buddies drowned because the water was to cold and the John boat swamped. John boats swamp very easy and are not safe at all!

Agreed X2, as I said before I've seen a lot of smaller john boats go down on calm forgiving water.

Do you have a dock on the sound or will you be transporting it (if so how do you plan on it and do you have a truck or suv). If your set on being able to go out with friends a V-hull with an older 2-stroke 9.9 is the way to go. You can run one of those older 9.9s all weekend on 20 bucks of gas and unless you go crazy with modification and accessories you can stay low budget. However, if you can convince your buddies to get yaks or being solo isn't a deal breaker there is nothing more transportable and versatile than a good kayak. But just keep in mind by the time you set up a cheaper sea worthy kayak for fishing you'll be in the same ball park of cost as a 14 V-hull and 9.9. The price difference will be negligible, so IMHO it really depends on if your on the water and can leave it on the dock or in the water or if you have to transport it and if so what are your options for a vehicle to bring it to the water.

1 hour ago, donttreadonmear15 said:

Have you been on the LIS? If you could stand on the bench seats of a 14ft boat in 2-3 ft chop you are a ninja.  The sound doesn't really have swells like the ocean, those 2-3 footers are tight together it really gets a boat rockin, at least in my part of the sound.

OP- Where are you from?

Thought I was having deja vu, so I looked back and you asked this same question in the CT forum a month ago, clearly you want to get a boat, so maybe you should ask the best type of boat for your water in the boating forum.

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/728934-fishing-kayak-vs-dinghy/#comment-13186301

Edited by nateD