OrtleyBeach35

Beach replineshment, the good, the bad, the ugly

Rate this topic

88 posts in this topic

IMO....this will cost $$$$$ and produce nothing more than a cesspool of debris and stagnant water......the residents don't want groins or a groin field.....now they want a super groin.....it's complete duchebaggery by Stockton U, Rutgers U, ACOE and GLD&D Co. all making financial gain from this replenishment......corruption at it's finest right here in good ole' NJ.

I used to surf cast near the Breezy Point jetty in the early 60's and remember it being a long walk from the surf edge to the tip of the jetty. Say at least 300 yds., but that was a while ago. Now it is closer to 50yds,  . The sand, seems to have migrated to the jetty from the east, and created a much wider beach area. The installation of  a dozen 1000' jetties spaced along the south shore of the Rockaways would seem to be an answer. I know it is  only a temporary solution, but everything is temporary, and perhaps would dramatically slow down the need for new sand pumping.In engineering it a lmost always comes down to cost. I live 200' from the surf in Rockaway,(obviously I have a vested interest) and have scratched my head when viewing the floodgates  that are proposed for my area, that will stretch from Breezy to Brooklyn. Maybe the Corp is thinking about Venice or the Netherlands?.  Seems like the jetty/breakwater installation at LBI might not be such a bad idea, but a drawing of the proposed work would answer some of my questions.Any way tried to find old aerial views of the tip of Breezy Point but have been unsuccessful. Perhaps a reference from the past might give us some insights for the future.

just got back from a week on the beach in Lavalette. Got a first hand look at what's going on in Seaside heights. Can't help but wonder why they don't put in some hard structure to alleviate the sand migration. FWIW on Long Island the sand migrates from east to west.

I was at Ortley Beach yesterday. I couldn't believe how different it looks now. Massive dunes. Cant even see the beach from the boardwalk anymore. And they are working their way up north. Here's some pics.

IMG_3878.jpg

IMG_3881.jpg

IMG_3884.jpg

IMG_3890.jpg

IMG_3874.jpg

X5Gee.         "Massive dune"???????? That doesn't look like a massive dune to me .  It would have to be about 40 or 50 feet higher to do the job.  That picture looks like a beautiful ramp for the water to ride into town.

On 9/9/2018 at 5:55 PM, X5GEE said:

I was at Ortley Beach yesterday. I couldn't believe how different it looks now. Massive dunes. Cant even see the beach from the boardwalk anymore. And they are working their way up north. Here's some pics.

IMG_3878.jpg

IMG_3881.jpg

IMG_3884.jpg

IMG_3890.jpg

IMG_3874.jpg

:huh:

Dunes have vegetation. Lots of it. Those are sand piles.

On 9/9/2018 at 3:40 PM, MakoMike said:

just got back from a week on the beach in Lavalette. Got a first hand look at what's going on in Seaside heights. Can't help but wonder why they don't put in some hard structure to alleviate the sand migration. 

Because they wouldn't get paid to do it again

and again

and again

and again............

On 9/9/2018 at 11:30 PM, CharlieK said:

X5Gee.         "Massive dune"???????? That doesn't look like a massive dune to me .  It would have to be about 40 or 50 feet higher to do the job.  That picture looks like a beautiful ramp for the water to ride into town.

They don't care about that

In a discussion with one of the ACOE engineers after one of the meeting at Pallones office, I brought up that exact point "This isn't working, the way it's being done is just building a ramp to send the water inland "

The reply was that it's working perfectly, this is not about protecting infrastructure, it's about protecting land mass "You know, the global warming thing" ISYN !!

Jim Hill was standing there with me and can vouch. We were both standing there in surprise at that answer

For what it's worth, I was watching an interview of with the Mayor of a town in North Carolina. "We just had a ten million dollar beach nourishment project completed and its completely gone". Congratulations, here's your sign.

On 9/14/2018 at 8:46 PM, Sudsy said:

Because they wouldn't get paid to do it again

and again

and again

and again............

Ingenious . What scum! 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just can't imagine what the owner of GLD&D CO. and others felt when they got permission to bury the Groins........like they just won the NJ lottery.....OMO.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal