OrtleyBeach35

Beach replineshment, the good, the bad, the ugly

88 posts in this topic

On 6/15/2018 at 7:57 AM, HardyG said:

There is nothing good about beach replenishment, only bad and ugly. It has destroyed the surf zone from Sandy Hook all the way to Alexander Avenue in Cape May. What were once our version of coral reefs are now mere barren stubs, resident fish are gone, the surf zone is a barren desert etc etc etc. I have a trout stream running through my property and if I did the same damage to the stream that beach replenishment has done to the ocean, I'd be in jail. It's utterly amazing....New York is building breakwaters and groins to protect their beaches, but somehow, groins and breakwaters don't work in NJ according to the ACOE. Yeah. sure. right. Bouchedags.

I've posted this before, however, my grandfather and I used to bucktail the Cape May point jetties like maniacs in the late 70's and early 80's, targeting weakies and fluke. 02/2017, I stood on sand at a Cape May point jetty where we had hooked fish decades before. An old bitty said to me, "Can you believe how much beach erosion there is here?" I said, "Lady, in 1980 I caught fish where you're standing". She looked at me like I had three heads. My grandfather is turning over in his grave at the destruction of those jetties.

Uneducated policy makers turning the oceanside into a desert for miles out while filling in the back bays.  All of this damage while the folks in NY have figured it out.

Posted (edited)

It's obviously got to do with who is getting the $$$$$$$$$ here for the right of burying the beach protection........then pumping sand forever.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

4 hours ago, Harf said:

Uneducated policy makers turning the oceanside into a desert for miles out while filling in the back bays.  All of this damage while the folks in NY have figured it out.

Check out Long Beach Long Island ny. The jetties were all built up the place looks amazing. Why would they take jetties away if they are trying to save the beach? It makes no sense 

5 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

It's obviously got to do with who is getting the $$$$$$$$$

And that could be the answer to just about everything the ACOE does.

Actually, that could be the answer to just about everything that any Govt agency does. 

Posted (edited)

So why does this work in Long island NY and not in NJ......?

The project is already underway. According to the Long Beach Herald, the Army Corps of Engineers has begun shipping 250,000 tons of stone to the beaches to repair jetties and construct new ones. The second phase -- trucking in sand to repair the dunes -- will begin next year, the Herald reported, and is expected to take two years.

http://www.liherald.com/longbeach/stories/Army-Corps-breaks-ground,82546

......answer, because the fat cats in NJ bury the beach protection / Groins then line their pockets with money pumping and selling sand daily.....OMO.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

49 mins ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

So why does this work in Long island NY and not in NJ......?

The project is already underway. According to the Long Beach Herald, the Army Corps of Engineers has begun shipping 250,000 tons of stone to the beaches to repair jetties and construct new ones. The second phase -- trucking in sand to repair the dunes -- will begin next year, the Herald reported, and is expected to take two years.

......answer, because the fat cats in NJ bury the beach protection / Groins then line their pockets with money pumping and selling sand daily.....OMO.

Must have something to do with the approval process. NJ says so to jetties or dunes because more sand pumping = more $. They dont give 2 ****s about us. exploit them

So spoke with some of the neighbors and was told.....they don't care about fixing the problem as long as the machinery doesn't leave the beach....they're more worried about loosing their property on the barrier islands and don't care if they pump sand and bulldoze 24/7...after all it's only everyone's tax dollars paying for it....;so there it is, they don't want the problem corrected and they don't fish so why have Jetty's.........Pathetic !!!!

1) Beach replenishment is like pissing into the wind! Instead of pumping sand they should have used their eminent domain law to buy up land along the oceanfront; torn down all the structures and let nature take its course. The poor people in Long Branch had their homes taken away by the rich political elite. I feel turnabout is only fair. The towns charging people to use our states beaches are the only ones benefiting and a few rich homeowners. I have invested 55 yrs of my life into learning tides and times to fish; only to find myself screwed out of my one true love Surf Fishing For Striped Bass. Now it’s even starting to effect the boat fishermen.

2) They could have extended all of the jetty’s toward the southeast; then a nice beach would form on the south side and a nice hole would form on the north side.

3) When the land that was taken is paid off, the savings could be used to lower taxes or pay for some sort of health care plan, etc.,etc. I could go on and on about this subject, sorry........ 

Image may contain: sky, ocean, outdoor, water and nature

The "Cliffs of Holgate"....Max beach erosion.....taken from a drone 19hrs. ago......and they buried the jetties.......Right !

Not a peep out of the tree huggers in regards to the BILLIONS of marine organisms killed by pumping “steril” sand over them. Not mention the destruction of the entire area they pump the sand from. 

Municipalities charging access fees, parking fees, denial of parking access on public roads - my tax payer dollars paid for this sand. 

Why should I be charged multiple times for access or denied access all together????

What should be be done is a survey of injuries and deaths to humans caused by the resulting “beach break” , number of marine organisms killed, grounding of boats due to shoaling ect ect. 

Beach replentishment is just another way for politicians to funnel funnel tax payer dollars to private corporations!!!

It's very simple

Removing / notching the jetties creates nice level beaches, no scalloping, which raises property values

Rich homeowners (major donaters to the Frank Pallone campaign) benefit at the public's and environments cost.

Those folks never want the pumping of sand to stop and they care not who pays for it.......disgraceful.....waiting for the southern end to break off and float away.

Spoke with a guy back in May that works for one of the engineering companies involved with moving sand around. He knows it's a waste of time and money, but he followed that with if we don't do it then the rich homeowners on the beach blocks cause the most problems with the situation. So yes it's about the money. 

On 7/10/2018 at 10:48 AM, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Image may contain: sky, ocean, outdoor, water and nature

The "Cliffs of Holgate"....Max beach erosion.....taken from a drone 19hrs. ago......and they buried the jetties.......Right !

Look how deep the jetty was after it was buried.  But also take note what it's doing to the north of it. - It's doing it's job and keeping sand on the beach. Go figure. 

All that sand went right to the inlet.   They cant replace the wooden jetty fast enough in my opinion.