OrtleyBeach35

Beach replineshment, the good, the bad, the ugly

88 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, bido said:

this is insane.  My family has had a place on 86th St for decades.  The beach fill looks like it's filling in Townsends now.  How are you supposed to navigate out?  The sand on the north side under the bridge barely used to extend to the first set of supports.  Its all filling in the inlet from the pumping to the north.

Gotta run south along Avalon just about to the end of the rocks before you turn north 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bigfish4me said:

Here's the pic from April .... corsons use to save us a half an hour running from the slip mid island in sea isle ... Ludlum bay ain't as deep as she use to be either ,  a pic of townsends too... looks like the north cut is closed in as well. 

I used to fish the rocks on the Avalon side of the bridge before they did a repair job like 10 years ago and piled a bunch of loose rocks on top of what was already there, now it's all jagged and slippery so i don't go there as often anymore. They also moved the light that was there which attracted tons of bait. The Sea Isle side has been constantly changing for the past few years. Strathmere Bay is horrible. Last time i went through there all the waverunners were hitting bottom. Hereford Inlet has new surprises for boaters every year. Plenty of new shoals every summer. Have you been through Cape May Harbor lately? Got pretty bad through there. Only like 2ft of water outside of Bree-Zee Lee marina during low tide so be careful if you put the boat in there

1 hour ago, bido said:

this is insane.  My family has had a place on 86th St for decades.  The beach fill looks like it's filling in Townsends now.  How are you supposed to navigate out?  The sand on the north side under the bridge barely used to extend to the first set of supports.  Its all filling in the inlet from the pumping to the north.

Crazy isn't it? Always would see boats fishing around that set of supports, now you can walk around them. The boats going through the bridge are within 20 yds of the sand. The drop off there is steep and like 20 feet if not more because of what's happened. The dredge has been in that inlet twice since 2015 so definitely caused sand to build up where it shouldn't be. Wildwood is still the only beach that hasn't had any issue with erosion. North Wildwood got torn up pretty good this year. Fished there a few times and they had most of the access ramps to the beach closed off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 mins ago, FunkyBunker said:

I used to fish the rocks on the Avalon side of the bridge before they did a repair job like 10 years ago and piled a bunch of loose rocks on top of what was already there, now it's all jagged and slippery so i don't go there as often anymore. They also moved the light that was there which attracted tons of bait. The Sea Isle side has been constantly changing for the past few years. Strathmere Bay is horrible. Last time i went through there all the waverunners were hitting bottom. Hereford Inlet has new surprises for boaters every year. Plenty of new shoals every summer. Have you been through Cape May Harbor lately? Got pretty bad through there. Only like 2ft of water outside of Bree-Zee Lee marina during low tide so be careful if you put the boat in there

Crazy isn't it? Always would see boats fishing around that set of supports, now you can walk around them. The boats going through the bridge are within 20 yds of the sand. The drop off there is steep and like 20 feet if not more because of what's happened. The dredge has been in that inlet twice since 2015 so definitely caused sand to build up where it shouldn't be. Wildwood is still the only beach that hasn't had any issue with erosion. North Wildwood got torn up pretty good this year. Fished there a few times and they had most of the access ramps to the beach closed off. 

We keep the boat in the water usually from march to January on 46 st In sea isle  ,  use to drift eels in ti and get a few stripers and pull the boat on thanksgiving 15 years ago.... now they don't show up until mid December.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I fish Ocean County and the past year has been a total disaster.  The amount of Stripers I have caught are in the single digits.  I do not get out nearly as much as the majority of the people on here so that is a factor but still it is bad for the amount of time I have been out.  The beaches in Bayhead and Brick where I have spend a lot of time over the years are not even worth going to.  Bayhead is the worst.  I don't know who is doing it ( the town probably ) they are bulldozing sand from the beaches and pushing it up to make dunes.  I guess so all the 1% ers can get to the beach from their houses.  The beach and ocean is just one flat desert of hard coarse sand and rocks.  Brick is slightly better but not much when you add the dirty water from the replenishment.  I see no reason to spend one cent on any more fishing gear at this point.  It looks like a very bleak future for surf casting. 

Edited by 40shades-of-blue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Sudsy said:

According to one of the ACOE engineers i had a discussion with outside Pallones office - beach replenishment has NOTHING to do with protecting infrastructure, homes, roads, businesses..........

I had questioned why they were effectively building nothing more than ramps that help facilitate sending the surge inland - without the dunes that would provide real protection. I said "The way you are doing it, replenishment is a complete failure"

Hes said, and this is a word for word quote which Jim Hill will back me on (he was there too) "Replenishment is working exactly as it's supposed to. It has nothing to do with protecting infrastructure, it has to do with protecting land mass.... You know, the global warming thing"

 

I **** you not

Personally I think that the bulk of the ACOE projects are either "save my million dollar home" or "save my billion dollar business" or  "make work projects for public employees."  (Not decided by rank and file engineers, who would probably suggest helpful projects, but by on the take management in collusion with politicians who are bought by big money interests 

 

And, what do we, the regular taxpayers, get for this  ----  environmental destruction.

 

This is a public outrage, and if I was a lawyer I would attempt to shine light on the BS that has been going on for decades.

 

I wish I had an answer for this crime against common sense and justice.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, HardyG said:

There is nothing good about beach replenishment, only bad and ugly. It has destroyed the surf zone from Sandy Hook all the way to Alexander Avenue in Cape May. What were once our version of coral reefs are now mere barren stubs, resident fish are gone, the surf zone is a barren desert etc etc etc. I have a trout stream running through my property and if I did the same damage to the stream that beach replenishment has done to the ocean, I'd be in jail. It's utterly amazing....New York is building breakwaters and groins to protect their beaches, but somehow, groins and breakwaters don't work in NJ according to the ACOE. Yeah. sure. right. Bouchedags.

 

I've posted this before, however, my grandfather and I used to bucktail the Cape May point jetties like maniacs in the late 70's and early 80's, targeting weakies and fluke. 02/2017, I stood on sand at a Cape May point jetty where we had hooked fish decades before. An old bitty said to me, "Can you believe how much beach erosion there is here?" I said, "Lady, in 1980 I caught fish where you're standing". She looked at me like I had three heads. My grandfather is turning over in his grave at the destruction of those jetties.

There is nothing good about most ACOE projects.

 

PS: I have no relationship with the ACOE in any way.

I have just been reading up on their "efforts" to "serve the public interest".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 40shades-of-blue said:

I fish Ocean County and the past year has been a total disaster.  The amount of Stripers I have caught are in the single digits.  I do not get out nearly as much as the majority of the people on here so that is a factor but still it is bad for the amount of time I have been out.  The beaches in Bayhead and Brick where I have spend a lot of time over the years are not even worth going to.  Bayhead is the worst.  I don't know who is doing it ( the town probably ) they are bulldozing sand from the beaches and pushing it up to make dunes.  I guess so all the 1% ers can get to the beach from their houses.  The beach and ocean is just one flat desert of hard coarse sand and rocks.  Brick is slightly better but not much when you add the dirty water from the replenishment.  I see no reason to spend one cent on any more fishing gear at this point.  It looks like a very bleak future for surf casting. 

It took 20 years to come back from the 1995 round of replenishment and it never quite came back all the way - and then they buried it all even worse than they had the first time

In 20 years I'll be 76 years old, so it looks like my rockhopping days are probably over for good  :cry:

Anyone interested in a pair of korkers ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sudsy said:

It took 20 years to come back from the 1995 round of replenishment and it never quite came back all the way - and then they buried it all even worse than they had the first time

In 20 years I'll be 76 years old, so it looks like my rockhopping days are probably over for good  :cry:

Anyone interested in a pair of korkers ?

That is why I bought a Rockproof jet boat for the Delaware River. The Big D has a "Wild and Scenic" designation, meaning it is un-dammed from its headwaters all the way to its terminus. There are only seven rivers in the US that have this designation. Development on the river is prohibited and they fine the living shirt out of anyone who discharges pollutants. The Big D now has a resident population of stripers and we found them on our last trip. You won't see 40lb fish in the Water Gap, however, I'll take schoolies on light tackle any day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sudsy said:

It took 20 years to come back from the 1995 round of replenishment and it never quite came back all the way - and then they buried it all even worse than they had the first time

In 20 years I'll be 76 years old, so it looks like my rockhopping days are probably over for good  :cry:

Anyone interested in a pair of korkers ?

Probably have bionic legs out by then, don't give in yet ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is us! Its time to go nuclear and  just call for a closure of the fluke fishery in NJ,  DUE TO BEACH REPLENISHMENT, over harvesting by commercial interests, and an open season catered to the party boats! Bass were in trouble and now so are the summer flounder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2018 at 2:59 AM, Sudsy said:

According to one of the ACOE engineers i had a discussion with outside Pallones office - beach replenishment has NOTHING to do with protecting infrastructure, homes, roads, businesses..........

I had questioned why they were effectively building nothing more than ramps that help facilitate sending the surge inland - without the dunes that would provide real protection. I said "The way you are doing it, replenishment is a complete failure"

Hes said, and this is a word for word quote which Jim Hill will back me on (he was there too) "Replenishment is working exactly as it's supposed to. It has nothing to do with protecting infrastructure, it has to do with protecting land mass.... You know, the global warming thing"

 

I **** you not

You should of told him to put the Glaciers in the tall drink he was sipping on.

 Image result for drink the kool aid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was part of the Obama initiative

 

Funny how it wasn't packaged like that, Pallone going around yelling protection protection protection, when it really has nothing to do with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That sucker needs to be replaced. Its time to clean house...:eek:

 

But who can you trust too do the right thing...:dismay:

 

They should have to take a test before entering office...:idea:

 

If they build a sand castle in the tide zone; they fail...:laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sudsy said:

It was part of the Obama initiative

 

Funny how it wasn't packaged like that, Pallone going around yelling protection protection protection, when it really has nothing to do with that.

Our slick flannel mouthed representative reminds of " That sneaky little S!@# Niedermeyer" Take your pick as to who can be Dean Wormer!

3197583034.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.