OrtleyBeach35

Beach replineshment, the good, the bad, the ugly

88 posts in this topic

3 mins ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Let's play......

Pump sand on beach and bury groins...Pump new sand on the beach get $$$$.....storm washes sand back in the ocean....current moves new sand north...dredge new north channel load sand on barges and sell $$$$.....and over and over and over and over and over.

What do ya call this...?

Genius 

25 mins ago, Kneel said:

Rutgers Marine and Coastal Sciences published a spectacular one a few years back a 30 year timelapse gif from Cape May to Gateway.  It has miraculously disappeared from their site.  If I can find it I will post it...

that would be incredible if you could dig that up. Ill poke around to find something

19 mins ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Let's play......

Pump sand on beach and bury groins...Pump new sand on the beach get $$$$.....storm washes sand back in the ocean....current moves new sand north...dredge new north channel load sand on barges and sell $$$$.....and over and over and over and over and over.

What do ya call this...?

Lets not forget about that half of this spending is federal money as well. They have a matching program for ACOE and replenishment projects. Get the EPA involved

7 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

Lets not forget about that half of this spending is federal money as well. They have a matching program for ACOE and replenishment projects. Get the EPA involved

Doesn't that sleepy eyed Pallone have beach front property in Monmouth co.?

Pallone lives a block inland.

Someone should replenish his front lawn with truckload of sand. See how he likes it. 

If the U.S. government built a brand new Federal Mint on the beach in Manasquan, and began printing fresh new hundred dollar bills, and after the ink was dry, used a conveyor to just dump them into the ocean, it would probably be cheaper and more effective than what they're doing now. Like bido said, after a while they would just wind up off the tip of Sandy Hook, where they could be dredged up again. A great big circular loop of money, that accomplishes nothing lasting, except for the irreparable harm to the shoreline environment

.As a contrast, if you go to Spring Lake and look under the boardwalk, all the concrete that holds the boardwalk up has the letters WPA, and a date, molded into them, I think it's 1930 something. There was a need, people were out of work, and the government spent some money and did something about it. Those things are coming up on a hundred years old, and look to be there quite a while longer. Money well spent. There can be government projects that improve things, but beach replenishment isn't one of them.

One last thought, our beaches had literally millions of years to develop, and anyone that believes that they'll be OK in 6 months-2 years is wildly optimistic. Only thing that's going to repair our beaches is time, and being left alone. 

Posted (edited)

18 hours ago, bido said:

The only thing that possibly works is a good (natural) dune system, which I believe they are at least attempting in Ocean County.

Pumping the sand and notching jetties, as anyone can attest to from Monmouth County, is a complete waste of money.  A temporary fix to reduce erosion that washes away quickly each year, requiring constant renourishment to keep the status quo.  As Sandy demonstrated, it does NOTHING in the face of a real storm, other than wash feet of sand into the roads and people's living rooms.

At this point the ACOE goal is "land preservation".  The beaches are more or less a buffer now against land (and home) erosion. 

Strategic retreat is the only real lasting solution, but that is a pipe dream.

According to one of the ACOE engineers i had a discussion with outside Pallones office - beach replenishment has NOTHING to do with protecting infrastructure, homes, roads, businesses..........

I had questioned why they were effectively building nothing more than ramps that help facilitate sending the surge inland - without the dunes that would provide real protection. I said "The way you are doing it, replenishment is a complete failure"

Hes said, and this is a word for word quote which Jim Hill will back me on (he was there too) "Replenishment is working exactly as it's supposed to. It has nothing to do with protecting infrastructure, it has to do with protecting land mass.... You know, the global warming thing"

I **** you not

Edited by Sudsy

Makes no sense.  Dunes are the way to go hence why all towns on the island except berkley township near IBSP were wacked good.  

Bunch of idiots pushing false liberal narative.  Im actually hoping for more nor easters or maybe another sandy. 

20 hours ago, nfd27 said:

Yeah last few years we've been able to sneak the 17' mako outfront there but haven't tried this year. From the little bit of poking around I did it looks like a tight channel towards the OC side no idea what the depth is high or low. Hopefully won't have to tow and dump the boat in OC if we want to hit the reefs. I don't think we should but with that inlet anything is possible. I wish I could find the overhead pictures taken via plane of Corsons. That'll show you all the info you need to boycott beach replenishment. 

Here's the pic from April .... corsons use to save us a half an hour running from the slip mid island in sea isle ... Ludlum bay ain't as deep as she use to be either ,  a pic of townsends too... looks like the north cut is closed in as well. 

IMG_1417.JPG

IMG_1418.JPG

There is nothing good about beach replenishment, only bad and ugly. It has destroyed the surf zone from Sandy Hook all the way to Alexander Avenue in Cape May. What were once our version of coral reefs are now mere barren stubs, resident fish are gone, the surf zone is a barren desert etc etc etc. I have a trout stream running through my property and if I did the same damage to the stream that beach replenishment has done to the ocean, I'd be in jail. It's utterly amazing....New York is building breakwaters and groins to protect their beaches, but somehow, groins and breakwaters don't work in NJ according to the ACOE. Yeah. sure. right. Bouchedags.

I've posted this before, however, my grandfather and I used to bucktail the Cape May point jetties like maniacs in the late 70's and early 80's, targeting weakies and fluke. 02/2017, I stood on sand at a Cape May point jetty where we had hooked fish decades before. An old bitty said to me, "Can you believe how much beach erosion there is here?" I said, "Lady, in 1980 I caught fish where you're standing". She looked at me like I had three heads. My grandfather is turning over in his grave at the destruction of those jetties.

https://www.app.com/story/news/local/ocean-county/sandy-recovery/2018/06/14/ortley-beach-dune-work-start-late-june-last-all-summer/698289002/

So great, not only does this do absolutely nothing... they will take away money from the town, local businesses that count on the summer months to make money... Who the F wants to sit on a beach while they pump sand all damn day! water clarity and quality will make for great swimming...

Doesn't matter what Governor we have I guess.... Toms River is CLUELESS

Here is the updated beach replenishment schedule:

• Point Pleasant Beach: mid-December to mid-January.
  • Bay Head: late September through December.
  • Mantoloking: construction complete in majority of town; work on area near Lyman Street is expected from mid-August to late September.
  • Brick: construction began in April and is expected to last through mid-August.
  • Toms River northern beaches: late July through late September.
  • Lavallette: late September through mid-December.
  • Ortley Beach: June 23 through early October.
  • Seaside Heights: early October through December.
  • Seaside Park: early August through mid-October.
  • Berkeley (South Seaside Park): mid-October through November.

20 mins ago, HardyG said:

...New York is building breakwaters and groins to protect their beaches, but somehow, groins and breakwaters don't work in NJ according to the ACOE. Yeah. sure. right. Bouchedags.

this is the part that really roasts my marshmallows. makes no sense. regardless of the direction of the littoral flow. complete contradiction of a fundamental principal less than 50 miles apart from each other. you would assume it's the same person/committee calling the shots for both projects... If me or my team pulled that non sense in the corporate world and could not provide hard evidence of the viability we would be fired and our resume ruined.

Said it before...saying it again. They make the science up as they go. They have no idea what works and does not work, they are all about putting sand on the beach to save the shore as they see it. The jetties and groins in NY are still in the planning stage. Seems they are sorting out priorities and have no idea how much money they have. Failure to start these projects have cost the beaches from about 90th street to 101st in Rockaway the chance to open for the summer. Spring storms took out hundreds of thousands of cubic yards backing the beach up almost to the boardwalk. One thing they always seem to miss is that the storms take sand away and the natural ebb and flow will put it back, if it belongs there. The jetties seem to help, the notching is just stupid. My nickel.

1 hour ago, bigfish4me said:

Here's the pic from April .... corsons use to save us a half an hour running from the slip mid island in sea isle ... Ludlum bay ain't as deep as she use to be either ,  a pic of townsends too... looks like the north cut is closed in as well. 

IMG_1417.JPG

IMG_1418.JPG

this is insane.  My family has had a place on 86th St for decades.  The beach fill looks like it's filling in Townsends now.  How are you supposed to navigate out?  The sand on the north side under the bridge barely used to extend to the first set of supports.  Its all filling in the inlet from the pumping to the north.