OrtleyBeach35

Beach replineshment, the good, the bad, the ugly

Rate this topic

88 posts in this topic

I am by no means an expert, and not against or for it...

but... with all the commentary as to why we haven’t seen the fish as years past I thought this would be a good place start some good fact finding...

Many opinions I’ve heard,  but doesn’t it ultimately protect the beaches? If we just let nature take its course would we be better off?  

IMO I’d rather see some structure being built off shore, some interesting projects being completed with old subway cars being stripped and placed strategically in low oceans floors....

I've heard many grumblings from Ocean County as ACOE has been filling the beaches.  Welcome to the party.  In the short term you can expect:
-Poor fishing

-Crappy, coarse sand

-Dangerous shorebreak

-Long term construction project/complete mess on the beaches

-Possible munitions deposited on the beach (no digging holes- kaboom!)

The only thing that possibly works is a good (natural) dune system, which I believe they are at least attempting in Ocean County.

Pumping the sand and notching jetties, as anyone can attest to from Monmouth County, is a complete waste of money.  A temporary fix to reduce erosion that washes away quickly each year, requiring constant renourishment to keep the status quo.  As Sandy demonstrated, it does NOTHING in the face of a real storm, other than wash feet of sand into the roads and people's living rooms.

At this point the ACOE goal is "land preservation".  The beaches are more or less a buffer now against land (and home) erosion. 

Strategic retreat is the only real lasting solution, but that is a pipe dream.

One thing i've seen that blows my mind is bulldozing of sand into huge piles.  To me, all that is doing is force feeding the ocean even more sand off the beach. The great walls of sand have nothing to hold onto.  And if the storm doesn't hit we're left with these piles of **** in late summer.

I'm not for or against replenishment either, but it's not a one size fits all solution for every beach.  Strategic sand deposits, T jetty's, and real sand dunes should be realized as solutions depending on geography and water movement. 

Fishing Corsons for the past 15+ years and look at the disaster that has become. Perfect example of the negative side of beach replenishment. Feel like the inlet is never the same year to year. Only spot I've ever run a ground and had to get towed in late fall. 

1 hour ago, nfd27 said:

Fishing Corsons for the past 15+ years and look at the disaster that has become. Perfect example of the negative side of beach replenishment. Feel like the inlet is never the same year to year. Only spot I've ever run a ground and had to get towed in late fall. 

I miss corsons..... it will never be the same again.  It's been unusable for us for a few years coming from sea isle with a straight inboard.... polished the prop a bunch of times.

3 hours ago, OrtleyBeach35 said:

I am by no means an expert, and not against or for it...

but... with all the commentary as to why we haven’t seen the fish as years past I thought this would be a good place start some good fact finding...

Many opinions I’ve heard,  but doesn’t it ultimately protect the beaches? If we just let nature take its course would we be better off?  

IMO I’d rather see some structure being built off shore, some interesting projects being completed with old subway cars being stripped and placed strategically in low oceans floors....

Houses were not meant to be built 50 feet from the water. If thats what you want then you must suffer the consequences or prepare for the worst. Mother Nature can rip away as much sand as she wants but it will always come back. For instance check out the governors shack in IBSP. Untouched, unreplenished and still standing with beautiful carving beaches.

2 hours ago, Fly By Nite said:

One thing i've seen that blows my mind is bulldozing of sand into huge piles.  To me, all that is doing is force feeding the ocean even more sand off the beach. The great walls of sand have nothing to hold onto.  And if the storm doesn't hit we're left with these piles of **** in late summer.

I'm not for or against replenishment either, but it's not a one size fits all solution for every beach.  Strategic sand deposits, T jetty's, and real sand dunes should be realized as solutions depending on geography and water movement. 

Its like building a sand castle at the waters edge. even a 5 year old will learn after the first time that this doesnt work

I would love to see a time lapse over the course of a year of sand movement around one group of exposed jetties VS a replenished beach and maybe VS a natural beach such as IBSP

If someone has the resources and time (lives near the beach) than I think we would have a very strong case against replenishment.

sand pumping is just stupid. It would be more effective to take the billions of dollars, use that money to buy rocks and dump those instead.... 

31 mins ago, bigfish4me said:

I miss corsons..... it will never be the same again.  It's been unusable for us for a few years coming from sea isle with a straight inboard.... polished the prop a bunch of times.

Yeah last few years we've been able to sneak the 17' mako outfront there but haven't tried this year. From the little bit of poking around I did it looks like a tight channel towards the OC side no idea what the depth is high or low. Hopefully won't have to tow and dump the boat in OC if we want to hit the reefs. I don't think we should but with that inlet anything is possible. I wish I could find the overhead pictures taken via plane of Corsons. That'll show you all the info you need to boycott beach replenishment. 

Sandi provides some great aerial footage of what mother  nature can do overnight... then we drop $M to fix what will prob happen again...

i dont have have a good answer to this sht show, but someone has to have a better answer to fixing it long term...

36 mins ago, nfd27 said:

Yeah last few years we've been able to sneak the 17' mako outfront there but haven't tried this year. From the little bit of poking around I did it looks like a tight channel towards the OC side no idea what the depth is high or low. Hopefully won't have to tow and dump the boat in OC if we want to hit the reefs. I don't think we should but with that inlet anything is possible. I wish I could find the overhead pictures taken via plane of Corsons. That'll show you all the info you need to boycott beach replenishment. 

http://www.uscgaux-ocnj.org/images/AUXAIR_ICW-Inlet Photos_13APR2018/

Here are some recent photos of Corson's inlet by air

2 hours ago, DragonsLax48 said:

I would love to see a time lapse over the course of a year of sand movement around one group of exposed jetties VS a replenished beach and maybe VS a natural beach such as IBSP

If someone has the resources and time (lives near the beach) than I think we would have a very strong case against replenishment.

Rutgers Marine and Coastal Sciences published a spectacular one a few years back a 30 year timelapse gif from Cape May to Gateway.  It has miraculously disappeared from their site.  If I can find it I will post it...

Let's play......

Pump sand on beach and bury groins...Pump new sand on the beach get $$$$.....storm washes sand back in the ocean....current moves new sand north...dredge new north channel load sand on barges and sell $$$$.....and over and over and over and over and over.

What do ya call this...?