Daiwa saltist back bay

Rate this topic

chitala383

On 8/22/2019 at 7:09 AM, SluggoAndPopHer said:

I have the 4000 LT and absolutely love it. Rock solid and smooth as better. Have even submerged multiple times while light tackle casting in surf waist high followed by good fresh water spray downs and hasn’t missed a beat. I’m going to switch it over to a true back bay Striper setup in the coming month for 3/4 to 2oz lures and plugs with 30lb Jbraid. Any reccomendations for rods? Was looking to go 8+ft in length and a 1 piece. 

I do the same sort of fishing with my 4000 LT, and I have used it on 6 foot rods up to a 11 foot airwave elite and my favorite is the 8'6" distance model in the trophy II tsunami line. 1/2 oz to 1 1/2 oz and strong enough for the drag pressure the reel can give.

74450DB3-488A-4976-A694-5D2616FDD720.jpeg

It's a 2 piece, however. Fires 2oz topwater plugs no sweat. 20lb braid is usually what I run, yo zuri in this picture.

Edited by Sir Defyable

On 8/24/2019 at 6:19 PM, Sir Defyable said:

I do the same sort of fishing with my 4000 LT, and I have used it on 6 foot rods up to a 11 foot airwave elite and my favorite is the 8'6" distance model in the trophy II tsunami line. 1/2 oz to 1 1/2 oz and strong enough for the drag pressure the reel can give.

74450DB3-488A-4976-A694-5D2616FDD720.jpeg

It's a 2 piece, however. Fires 2oz topwater plugs no sweat. 20lb braid is usually what I run, yo zuri in this picture.

thanks was looking at airwaves...

• 5 months later...

I own two of the 3000 models and I absolutely love them! They are light, smooth, and like the older/blue Saltist a damn durable reel. My only gripe is that Daiwa clearly just downsized the aluminum hardbodyz frame from the original Saltist (note ridged back) and slapped it on the Back Bay “LT” instead of incorporating the lighter yet stronger Zaion carbon frame that defines the LT lineup and is evident in the fact that a similarly sized (and priced) Tatula 4000 LT is not only 3 ounces lighter but also has an additional 11lbs of drag (granted it isn’t magsealed).

With that being said the difference in weight and drag wasn’t enough to stop me from picking a 4000 model from a store on eBay that has a sale going for the them, $150! Also saw a few Daiwa Coastal SV TW reels for on sale for ~$170 if anyone has been tempted to pick up one up but hesitated at the $250 sticker price. 

• 1 year later...
On 6/16/2018 at 9:34 PM, Beachglass Guru said:

Mine is currently on a 7 foot tsunami slimwave 701MH.. it's a great combo for fluke and a whole lot more. The slimwave has what of call a more spongy tip... if you like a faster action rod, it paired well with my 7'2 Phenix Bermuda BMX-S-725.. both rods are amazing choices and a lot of fun to fish. Both rods pair perfectly with the reel (but I'm sure many others do also).

Love the BB/Phenix pairing, how do you find the backbone? Considering this for tog jigging 

On 8/22/2019 at 7:09 AM, SluggoAndPopHer said:

I have the 4000 LT and absolutely love it. Rock solid and smooth as better. Have even submerged multiple times while light tackle casting in surf waist high followed by good fresh water spray downs and hasn’t missed a beat. I’m going to switch it over to a true back bay Striper setup in the coming month for 3/4 to 2oz lures and plugs with 30lb Jbraid. Any reccomendations for rods? Was looking to go 8+ft in length and a 1 piece. 

Jbraid casts nice but doesn’t hold up over time.

Edited by sandbars

Both are 5.6:1, have 15.4lbs of drag, and 6+1 bearings

the 4000 is 10.6 oz, retrieves 35.3 inches per crank, and Diawa specs it can hold about 200 yards of 20# J-Braid, though I eeked out more with Berkley X9.  

The 3000 is 9.9oz, retrieves 33.2 inches per crank, and has a slightly smaller line cap.