WoodyCT

Avet Conundrum - Freespool OR Tight drag

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, blacklabnh said:

I have the Lexa 300 and 400 -  dont like the handle on them or the level wind. Cranking haddock up from 150-200 feet on the lexa sucks.  I much prefer the sx raptor or even the regular SX. Caught alot of big fish on the original sx 5:1 using my thumb when necessary rather than changing the pinion bearings fro crushing them with heavy drag. 

I have the maxel hybrid 25. Anti reverse failed and tension knob (plastic) cracked. Its in the mail for service. 

Dont mention Accurates Ive had more issues with them than any reels Ive owned. 

I wonder how much a long power handle would have made your experience nicer. From crank shaft to knob, a 90mmm or even 100mm long power handle would give you a lot more torque.

Abu Garcia provides the nicest power handle I have yet seen on a big low profile reel in their Revo Toro Beast, the handle is easily as long as the power handles on the Avets and makes cranking against heavy resistance a breeze with the Beast.

Okuma is supposedly coming out with a new power handle for their Komodos due to demand as these reels are very popular on the West coast where they are used for winching in large fish. I am hoping this new power handle will at least be 90mm from shaft to knob.

The only downside with the G2 SX or SXJ is the drag output. It maxes out at 14lbs and 7lbs at strike. I was just in the same spot as you looking for a solid/light wreck/reef reel that in turn could handle stripers, bluefish, small pelagics, and west coast yellowtail. I ended up with the Accurate Boss Fury 400 Narrow and I love the reel. Drag is super smooth unlike other models this is single drag. Drag also maxes out at 22lbs so for a tiny reel it has some power behind it. Also went with the higher gear ratio at 6.1:1. These reels are also made in the US and free 2 year servicing from Accurate. Their customer service is very good one of the best. Other reels I'd recommend (not sure your budget) for almost jigging specific would be Shimano Trinidad, Ocea Jigger (japanese model commonly found in states) Shimano Tranx, and Maxel. Now Maxel is all second hand info I've never fished them but hear good things and very little negative. Now the Trinidad and Jigger are star drag convential reels but have the auto engage feature. So if you're thumbing your spool get a strike all you need to do is reel to engage the reel from free spool. I'd like to add this to my arsenal since I've gotten into slow pitch jigging and continually have to reel and drop with a lever drag gets old quick.  The Tranx is your typical baitcaster geared towards saltwater fishing. Another reel I've never fished but guys swear by them. They can handle anything from flounder to small tuna. 

6 mins ago, WoodyCT said:

Is the low drag output in Avets meant to protect the reel's internals?

I honestly don't know and hope someone with knowledge can comment. I do also have an SX and have never had issues I like that reel as well. Forgot to mention my reel recommendations are biased as I'm a lefty and only have a few to choose from. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 hours ago, nfd27 said:

The only downside with the G2 SX or SXJ is the drag output. It maxes out at 14lbs and 7lbs at strike. I was just in the same spot as you looking for a solid/light wreck/reef reel that in turn could handle stripers, bluefish, small pelagics, and west coast yellowtail. I ended up with the Accurate Boss Fury 400 Narrow and I love the reel. Drag is super smooth unlike other models this is single drag. Drag also maxes out at 22lbs so for a tiny reel it has some power behind it. Also went with the higher gear ratio at 6.1:1. These reels are also made in the US and free 2 year servicing from Accurate. Their customer service is very good one of the best. Other reels I'd recommend (not sure your budget) for almost jigging specific would be Shimano Trinidad, Ocea Jigger (japanese model commonly found in states) Shimano Tranx, and Maxel. Now Maxel is all second hand info I've never fished them but hear good things and very little negative. Now the Trinidad and Jigger are star drag convential reels but have the auto engage feature. So if you're thumbing your spool get a strike all you need to do is reel to engage the reel from free spool. I'd like to add this to my arsenal since I've gotten into slow pitch jigging and continually have to reel and drop with a lever drag gets old quick.  The Tranx is your typical baitcaster geared towards saltwater fishing. Another reel I've never fished but guys swear by them. They can handle anything from flounder to small tuna. 

The SX G2 has a max drag of 20lbs.

Also, all your big low profile baitcasters are designed with the ability to handle the saltwater environment. The Lexa HD and Komodos are the only reels that pack stainless steel gears like their conventional counter parts.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

5 hours ago, WoodyCT said:

Is the low drag output in Avets meant to protect the reel's internals?

Yes, but this is the case with all reels, you do not fish them beyond their stated specs because you will damage the internals. It is also good to avoid fishing a reel at its maximum stated drag for prolonged periods, this is not good for the reel either (it goes along the same lines as buying a truck if you need to tow 5000lbs, you don't buy a truck that can tow 5000lbs, you buy a truck that can tow 8000lbs or more).

If you need to fish 15lbs of drag, get a reel that can handle at least 20lbs.

Simple solution- sell the Avets that don't do what you want. Buy an Accurate Valiant 300 (or 300c if you want a clicker). The accurate is lever drag reel with drag washers on both sides of the spool. More than enough drag for anything you'll need, and the reel has a sleeved spool for total freespool. A super light weight American made reel with two years of free service. Or you can do a star drag. In a star drag, I'd look at the Daiwa saltiga. Either way your in the $400 price range. Good luck

I do wonder about the need for huge drags.  I like the idea of a reel that gives me a reliable 5-10 lbs. of drag without a high startup friction, but a rating of 15-20 lbs. is more then enough to give me that - even if the manufacturer has exaggerated a wee little bit.  

By way of example, there's a first generation Penn Torque 300 in my basement, and according to the manual, it'll give me 29 lbs. of drag.  That's enough to take me body surfing. 

45 mins ago, BrianBM said:

I do wonder about the need for huge drags.  I like the idea of a reel that gives me a reliable 5-10 lbs. of drag without a high startup friction, but a rating of 15-20 lbs. is more then enough to give me that - even if the manufacturer has exaggerated a wee little bit.  

By way of example, there's a first generation Penn Torque 300 in my basement, and according to the manual, it'll give me 29 lbs. of drag.  That's enough to take me body surfing. 

It is nice knowing that you have a reel that can handle up to 30lbs in a pinch, but it is even nicer when you know you have a reel that has a smooth drag with an easy start up at 10lbs to 15lbs (or even 20lbs) and it will not be stressed the slightest at those numbers either.

My Abu 6500C3, though I love it, has a drag the stutters around the 10lb+ drag mark. The reel is good for consistently fishing about 5lbs to 8lbs which is fine for what I use it for, but I wouldn't want it in a scenario where I have to try and lock down its drag to prevent a large fish from running me right into a snag.

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

The increase in drag output on reels have given guys the chance to fish lighter equipment for larger fish. In slow pitch jigging for example the rods are like pencils. When playing a tuna or west coast yellowtail you can’t really rely on the rod to give you the leverage to wear the fish down. Instead the drag is used to play and wear the fish down. 

I personally like the larger drag outputs since It can make a reel a lot more versatile. I can target flounder/Seabass one day then football tuna, dolphin the next and gorilla blues and trophy striper in the fall all on the same setup. 

1 hour ago, nfd27 said:

The increase in drag output on reels have given guys the chance to fish lighter equipment for larger fish. In slow pitch jigging for example the rods are like pencils. When playing a tuna or west coast yellowtail you can’t really rely on the rod to give you the leverage to wear the fish down. Instead the drag is used to play and wear the fish down. 

I personally like the larger drag outputs since It can make a reel a lot more versatile. I can target flounder/Seabass one day then football tuna, dolphin the next and gorilla blues and trophy striper in the fall all on the same setup. 

:agree:

13 hours ago, WoodyCT said:

Had one

Ship the bed after 6 hours of use.

No more Penns

Considering the only thing avets have over the penn, anyway, is machined aluminum frame you should give the fathom another shot. Penn, though I don't really care for the brand, is beating the snot out of avet in this category currently.