Linesideslayer

Official Hat Fling 2018: Sign in Here!

Rate this topic

101 posts in this topic

watsonville/santa cruz county.. there is a walk in camp ground just north of sunset state beach between sunset/manresa state beach..2 roads south of oceanview... also a koa camp right close ,, then sunset state beach camp grounds.. new brighton beach camp grounds,,, trailer camping at sea cliff state beach.. trailer camping at pinto lake.. all camping at mt madona..

18 mins ago, ghostfish slayer said:

watsonville/santa cruz county.. there is a walk in camp ground just north of sunset state beach between sunset/manresa state beach..2 roads south of oceanview... also a koa camp right close ,, then sunset state beach camp grounds.. new brighton beach camp grounds,,, trailer camping at sea cliff state beach.. trailer camping at pinto lake.. all camping at mt madona..

Thank you!

10 mins ago, ghostfish slayer said:

ill bring some salmon if someone wants to bbq it....

It will be Q'd! Bring it ghostfish. 

Here I have the defrosting beginings of my squid sausage appetizer (geez bought two 3lb boxes of squid for $16.99+EA, when did squid become the fillet mignon of the sea?, that's $5/lb, makes me want to clean the bait tank when on my next boat trip, sheesh! I must be getting old to start complaining about prices, in my-day...). Usually I do grind my own sausage mix, but due to time constraints I am cheating a little bit, but they will be delish. Also some Crispy Applewood Bacon Wrapped Coconut sugar crusted BBQ Winnie Tots, Homemade Cracked Mustard & Pepper Smoked Pastrami is marinating in the fridge ready for the Bradley, Caplin Atlantic Smelt Caviar & Smoked Merced River Rainbow Trout, Cream Cheese & Crackers Appetizer.

IMG_2059.JPG

I'm totally new to surf fishing, just joined the site. Could I attend this event? I'm happy to bring anything needed, however probably my best contribution would be my photography skills I was a commercial photographer for the last 30 years and I'm sure could provide some awesome photographs for the site and your event.

thanks,

Gary 

And the stakes for the casting contest are already riding high.

Do you have Good fishy Vibes likes our favorite tiny happy little tree painting, white afro hippie Painter Bob Ross?  Is anyone going to get a ringer in Moulthy Rat's gaping SOL maw this year? 

Many attempted the feat last year, and although many had hits, no solid hookups for any that tried...I believe last year an East Coaster had to show us how it was done, lets not let that happen again.

IMG_2062.JPG

been busy working and fishing... just got home from the last week and a half of work a couple hrs ago..i was supposed to go straight from alameda to sf for the next week of work but it got pushed out... DD reminded me about this today.. i thought the hat fling was going to be in half moon again and i thought i was going to be working and miss it..yaaaah its in my back yard...first time ever,, been trying to get it here for many years... i have zip loc bags full of squid i jigged up about 2 weeks ago... took them out of my bait tank live and put them right in my freezer like 30 lbs worth.we ate some and fished some,, clear eyed bait..lol.... i have not fished the surf yet this year once so i dont have a clue whats going on around here lineside wise,,just my boat for salmon and halibut.. probably could pull a rabbit or two out of the hat if i took a walk around here..

Looking forward to it. If anyone is using one of the ODM rods I would greatly appreciate them bringing it. I have been looking into these rods and would love the chance to make a few casts with it.  

Thanks

Lee

On 7/17/2018 at 9:58 PM, gary.Hb said:

I'm totally new to surf fishing, just joined the site. Could I attend this event? I'm happy to bring anything needed, however probably my best contribution would be my photography skills I was a commercial photographer for the last 30 years and I'm sure could provide some awesome photographs for the site and your event.

thanks,

Gary 

A list of what’s needed is on the first page, but yes as long as you’re signed up here you’re welcome to come.

1 hour ago, Alferd Packer said:

So - what time are people planning to arrive?

I'm not sure if we have to wait for the gate to open at a certain time. Anybody know?

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 9:58 PM, gary.Hb said:

thanks,

Gary 

Gary. Yes you are more than welcome and so are family and friends to this event. I am also very pleased to hear we have a photographer, cause last year it was me! :) 

Looks like we are doing good on the List of stuff to Bring. The only thing I would say we could still use is some Ice. I will have a few Ice Chests with Ice that I will bring that people can put sodas & water in, but a couple bags don't hurt.

I will be at Sunset Beach at the crack of dawn on Saturday to reserve us a group of tables and hold down the "man fort" while prepping some good eats and getting everything ready. For those of you fishing that morning I wish you all the luck and good ju-ju (don't forget your fishing license!!!), the fish have been spotty all over the Bay from the reports I have been getting, so your guesses are as good as mine. The morning high tide is only a 3 ft tide, so kelp should not be as prevalent. I will add this for out of towners planning to fish, if you go to a beach in Monterey bay and it has way to much kelp or salad to fish in, make a move up or down the coast and you should find a clearing, the brown/green blob tends to move up and down the coast in the bay usually concentrated around Moss Landing (hence the name). I too may even get a chance to wet a line or test swim a plug or two and if anyone is planning to hit Sunset at dawn stop by an say hi & pick up a fishing tip or two.  

Weather is supposed to be nice and mellow High of 71 & low of 59 forecasted for Sat (weatherguy777 Lee speak up here if I am wrong, your the expert? be good to finally meet you in person). Bring a sweater as the Fog has been rolling in, so not bikini weather, but if you really want to show off that summer gym body (yeah I am talking to you DD) we will be more than willing to gawk & cat call at you.

Look forward to seeing you all there...