Linesideslayer

Official Hat Fling 2018: Sign in Here!

101 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Saturday July 21st, the official SOL HAT FLING 

At Sunset State Beach in Watsonville off Sunset Beach Road in the lower Parking Lot Picnic Area past campgrounds.

Sign in here who is going and what you want to bring for the pot luck. This year I have attached a list of items I am asking members to volunteer to bring (see attached list). These are essentials and an attempt at ensuring we don’t have too many duplicate dishes (although I love all potato or macaroni salads 6+ of each can be a little excessive) I will be accepting any official donations for the free raffle we do every year or if you plan to attend the Fling you can bring your donations day of the event, so if you have anything to donate, it's all welcome and very much appreciated. Any questions please respond in this thread?

For those members who have never attended a Fling or New members here in short is what the Fling is all about: A bunch of SOL members, friends & family getting together to talk fishing, gain insights and knowledge from one another, relax, have a good time, bring great eats to the pot luck, share stories, have some fun, maybe fish before, during or after, raffle off some fishing lures and other fishing stuff, check out some of the members rods and rigs, play some games (casting contest, etc.), have some laughs and get to know one another, make some new friends and put some faces to avatar names. There is no strict schedule or plan of events, everyone shows up late morning (10-11amish, I will be there at dawn to get our spot), we BBQ, put out some homemade food or store bought trays of food, we eat drink and be merry, mid to late afternoon after the raffle prizes are doled out and the contests are over, everyone says their goodbyes till next year. 

Stuff We Could Use Help With:

See Attached List. If you want to bring one of the items on the list just post in this thread what you plan to bring. I will also post this list below in second post to keep track of who is bringing what.

Places to Stay:

Rodeway Inn

1620 W. Beach St,

Watsonville, CA 95076

(831) 740-4520

Rates: $60-80/Night Not Pet Friendly

Economy Inn Pet Friendly (SurfHunter!!!)

584 Auto Center Drive

Watsonville, CA 95076

Rates: $80-$100/Night

Both these hotels are 10 minutes from the event location, they are not the Ritz but price and location are right. Note that if you stay just about anywhere in Monterey Bay South or Santa Cruz North you will be 30-40 minutes from Sunset Beach

Donations: 

Please mail or Paypal any donations if not attending but want to help out anything & everything is appreciated to: 

Paypal: guy_balestrieri@ymail.com

Hat Fling Donations

PO BOX 924 

San Juan Bautista CA 95045 

Look forward to seeing you there!!!

Hat Fling Need List.doc

Edited by Linesideslayer

Posted (edited)

Hat Fling 2018 List of Needs Stuff

• Paper Plates 100-200 count NorCalKat, thanks.
  • Heavy Paper Bowls 20-40 count
  • Plastic Forks, Knives, Spoons 100-200 count Extra Forks please
  • Napkins 200 count NorCalKat, thanks.
  • Plastic Red Solo Cups 50-100 count
  • Potato Salads 1-3 EA
  • Macaroni Salads 1-3 EA
  • Appetizers-Egg Rolls, Deviled Eggs, Sausages Etc.
  • Main Dishes Meats- Steak, Chx, Ribs, whatever…
  • BBQ Pits- prefer charcoal, but open to propane- I (Linesideslayer) will be bringing at least 1 if not 2 Webbers like last year
  • 1-2 Bags of Charcoal  NorCalKat, thanks.
  • Salads 1-3 EA
  • Box of Garbage Bags
  • Bags of Ice 3-6 (we always need more Ice if hot weather)
  • Assorted Sodas 2-4 12pks/Water (2 cases (thebayway bringing water, thanks!) NO GLASS CONTAINERS Please!

Note: Alcohol is not allowed at Sunset State Beach, plus last two Flings, since most members drive from all over, the beer I brought went mostly untouched, so any alcoholic beverages you’re on your own BYOB and drink at your own risk.

Also this is not limited to this List, so feel free to bring your favorite homemade dishes, or buy some pre-made food. This list is just to ensure the essentials are covered and to give members easy inexpensive items that they can contribute, that still are critical to the event. Thanks, Linesideslayer & West Coast Crew.

Edited by Linesideslayer

Thanks Linesideslayer!

I can bring the 2 cases of water in a cooler with ice.

Any dessert requests?

Sweet man!! Ill cover the Charcoal, Paper Plates, Napkins. Any Specific brand Charcoal ya like?

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, norcalkat said:

Sweet man!! Ill cover the Charcoal, Paper Plates, Napkins. Any Specific brand Charcoal ya like?

Kingsford preffered and no insta-light no matter what brand. Thanks NCK see you then.

Edited by Linesideslayer

Won’t make it last years location worked best for the guys both down in Monterey and guys up north past the golden gate. You fellas have fun! 

I'll take care of the 

• Heavy Paper Bowls 20-40 count
  • Plastic Forks, Knives, Spoons 100-200 count Extra Forks please
  • Plastic Red Solo Cups 50-100 count

Thanks Guy, looking forward to it!

I'll be wandering the backcountry of the eastern sierra. Sorry to miss it this year. 

I have a couple donations for the raffle. Maybe we can meet up somewhere or I can hand off to someone attending?

Have fun boyz.

-Jon

Thanks Rossi for Bringing bowls, plastic wear & cups, see you there.

32 mins ago, BirdDog said:

Maybe we can meet up somewhere or I can hand off to someone attending?

BirdDog I will be fishing in MB this weekend, let me know if you want to meet up and where? PM me. Any donations are greatly appreciated.

Think I will make Squid Sausages, I know sounds gross, but they are delicious. Also Brown sugar bacon wrapped Lil'Smokies appetizer and probably some more meat of some kind, maybe tri-tips?

On 6/17/2018 at 11:11 AM, Paladin said:

I'll bring meat - TBD.

Please don’t bring the same old meat 

1768AC4E-DA52-4923-B3D6-97749FB17AAC.jpeg

Gonna be the first one in years im going to miss.Too far of a drive.Hope everyone has a great time!