wtfooptimax200

Star Paraflex PFS1225S10 1.5-5oz

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

On paper this rod seems great to me.  It looks like it would handle a wide variety of plugging, bucktail, and eel work.  I'm thinking that it would also work for all but the heaviest jigs in the canal.  Any thoughts?  Any other rods with similar ratings that I should be looking at before I pull the trigger?

Also, looking to pair this with an SSV.  Which size would you recommend 6500?

No, get this rod. For me, there is no better canal rod for the money. It handles 5oz jigs (with a 1oz body on top) without issue and it can still throw an SP or pencil quite well. I like it better than the TFO and Mojo, and it landed 100 fish over 20lbs last year for me in the canal, including a few over 30lb and one 35lb.

The only things I don't like about it are:

-Lowrider collection guide (just prefer k's for some of the larger spool reels)

-70/30 split (50/50 is just so much easier to transport, and this rod can sometimes spin at the ferrule after throwing a lot of bigger jigs)

-the grip rubs black on your grip hand after a few sessions

Some guys might sell, well it isn't fast enough, or the TFO has a better warranty...but to me, this rod is the perfect budget rod that can do it all at the canal short of throwing very big jigs or shads (6+ oz). That and I didn't break mine after a full season of use with big fish, and that should say a lot.

On 6/13/2018 at 2:58 PM, xjclint said:

No, get this rod. For me, there is no better canal rod for the money. It handles 5oz jigs (with a 1oz body on top) without issue and it can still throw an SP or pencil quite well. I like it better than the TFO and Mojo, and it landed 100 fish over 20lbs last year for me in the canal, including a few over 30lb and one 35lb.

The only things I don't like about it are:

-Lowrider collection guide (just prefer k's for some of the larger spool reels)

-70/30 split (50/50 is just so much easier to transport, and this rod can sometimes spin at the ferrule after throwing a lot of bigger jigs)

-the grip rubs black on your grip hand after a few sessions

Some guys might sell, well it isn't fast enough, or the TFO has a better warranty...but to me, this rod is the perfect budget rod that can do it all at the canal short of throwing very big jigs or shads (6+ oz). That and I didn't break mine after a full season of use with big fish, and that should say a lot.

Game over, I ran to saltwater edge today and picked up this rod.  As an all around rod I like the feel much better than the TFO.  I paired it with a Slammer III 5500.  I can't wait to get it into some fish somewhere.  Thanks XJClint for the advice along the way.