Long cast spinning reels under $500.00

Rate this topic

13 hours ago, MikeBlue said:

My situation is similar to yours in that I needed more distance, but I am throwing plugs. I already have two LC reels, the Penn that you have and a Battle II LC that I field tested for Penn several years ago. I prefer the Battle and although Penn is scheduled to release it in the US this year I just ordered one from the UK.

For more distance I took a different approach. It seems to me that once you have some basic LC equipment (and a new rod might be in order for you before a reel) the only way to get more distance is to add more input or energy into the cast. To do this I have started to train in a specific way. I took the bottom half of an old 11ft rod that I no longer use and cut the collector guide off. I went to the local sporting goods store and bought set of resistance bands. This a bunch of tubing bands of different strengths and two 'handles'. I took the rod and inserted it firmly into one of hollow hand grips. Now, I attach the end of the band to something firm, in my case the hand rail of a staircase, and practice my casting motion against the resistance band. I stand at two distances from the staircase to practice the first half and second half of the cast. Doing this has helped me in two areas. It made me focus on the mechanics of my cast, foot placement, arm action (push-pull) angle-arc of the rod, etc. And of course it has improved the strength of those muscles I use in the cast, legs, shoulders, core, arms. I saw an improvement in the mechanics of my cast almost immediately, it took about two weeks for the muscle power to show up in a noticeable way. I am about a month into the program. Now when I sit here at night watching my sorry ass NY Mets find new ways to lose ballgames I get out my casting exerciser and "bulk up". One word of warning, the first time I did it I wasn't paying attention and put a 10in scrape mark on the ceiling in my living room. Good thing my wife wasn't home, I was able to paint it over before she saw it.

Lol I just bought a new hat that says shut up and fish. Thanks for your input I am working on my tec.

2 hours ago, cheech said:

For a few more feet try a 2.5 oz. Bucktail, the fish probably wont mind.:p

Ya, I do that up to 4oz. But that gets heavy after awhile. Got a new rod and reel on its way. Airwave elite 10ft.6in. 3/4-3oz. Paired with a Shimano ultegra 5500xtd I think it is. I will gain more speed and fully load the rod.....I hope lol.

On 6/21/2018 at 9:31 AM, Catman Stan said:

Ya, I do that up to 4oz. But that gets heavy after awhile. Got a new rod and reel on its way. Airwave elite 10ft.6in. 3/4-3oz. Paired with a Shimano ultegra 5500xtd I think it is. I will gain more speed and fully load the rod.....I hope lol.

That's an excellent combo and should do you quite well with a 2 ounce bucktail-2 ounces is the sweet spot on that rod

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 15.6.2018. at 1:47 AM, Catman Stan said:

I am looking at another rod but unsure if I need a fast action or medium fast and really don't want to go more than 11-12

you`re not explosive enough in the movement for fast rods, so medium fast is the way to go, or even less, try parabolic

• 3 weeks later...

The bottom hand is important! When paddling a yak, the high hand push is often ignored, most pull the low hand only. Same holds through in surfcasting a spinner. The pull back of the rod butt can add distance. Its all about practice.

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...