MikeBlue

How Low Can You Go?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I took that conversation to the braid company and It was turned away . No answer or they know the problem and will not change it

2 mins ago, xjclint said:

Just don't forget that any knot you tie will take off a lot of that strength. Perfect PR and FG maybe 80%, 6turn surgeon 70%, palomar/unis 60%.

I generally use the labelled strength as my actual breaking at the knot. For me 40lb j braid breaks at 55-60 x 70% puts me at 35lb.

True.  What do you fish your drag at?  I'm right around 10lbs.  

I'm probably jinxing myself with these posts! :laugh:

I wholly agree with Angler #1 about 20lb. mono and surfcasting.   You'd be lucky to set the hook with 30 yards of horizontal, stretchable mono in the water.  

For me, when it comes to braid, the tensile or knot strength is not the issue in the canal (or other rocky structured locales). The issue is diameter as it relates to abrasion resistance. 20 lb braid gives a decent amount of pulling capacity. Use a scale to set your drag to just under 20 lbs. and try pulling. 20 lbs is a lot! Now take a bit of that 20lb. braid, hold it tight between your hands and rub it against a rock or barnicle or the barb of a treble hook from the excited weekender's plug who's not gonna wait for you (or is unaware) to work your pencil back in from 150 yards down current when big fish are pushing bait against the rocks or in the rip 30 yds out in front of them. :)