Steve in Mass

Tales and Truths from Avon......

143 posts in this topic

On 7/6/2018 at 11:34 AM, Steve in Mass said:

Back up to Avon, and the fun at the Food Lion............I was hoping to get there before the typical Sunday crowd, but on Sunday there is really NO good time to be there if you are in a rush.

Can't say I'd encourage this, and it may no longer work in 2018's justifiably paranoid world (or may never have worked but once), but years ago, probably sometime in the 90s, my wife and I did our shopping there for everything that wasn't perishable at a terribly busy time on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. She refused to stand in the long lines but didn't want to have to shop for it all again later or have it all be picked over or sold out when she came back, so she pushed our full buggy through the swinging "employees only" doors into the back and hid it behind something tall. We left and came back later that night when the lines had died down, our full buggy was still where she left it, she added the perishables, and we were in and out in 10 minutes.

May not work nowadays, and may even result in a friendly discussion with grocery store mangement and/or law enforcement, but may be worth considering.

And not sure if the Avon Food Lion does this, but we've been to other beaches where you can shop online  before you arrive and pick it up, already picked and packaged, as you drive by the store on the way in. We don't vacation in Avon much anymore (I mostly just go with the guys nowadays) and we haven't tried this yet, but we might and since she can do nearly anything from her phone it may be a good way for her to kill several hours of boredom during the drive down.

Steve,

I don't post much, but I've been reading your "Tales & Lies" threads for upwards of 15 years at this point!  I enjoy them immensely, the best stuff on SOL in my opinion,  please keep the detail coming! 

Thank you :) 

Gonna have to wait until tomorrow, as Monday is my late day at work and I plum ran out of time....... :o

Okay, a few minutes and then I have to go stake the tomatoes......

I left Sandy Bay and headed into Hatteras Village. Swung by the dock and Risky Business to see what they had. Out on the dock were a couple guys that I figured were locals, and I inquired about a place I was looking for. They pointed to the, well I guess northeast across the cove to a big blue metal building. "'Thanks guys, :th: " and went into Risky Business. I happened to luck out as right in the front of the case were four medium sized Spanish Mackerel fillets. I told the kid I wanted all four and said "Donna will be thankful!". And he said that yeah, he loves them too, but many people don't. "Too oily, they tell me"....and I laughed and told him of my love of bluefish, which he also agreed that he loved as well.

So they ended up being about $10, and that would make lunch for the next two days.

So, I left there and headed over to the "big, blue, metal building" and parked in the gravel lot. The place looked like a typical Hatteras car or boat repair place, or some type of industrial use or something. No signs or any indication of what they were.

I walked thru the big open doors and there was a guy in the office counting money and making ledger entries. 

"Rumor has it you are the guy that used to be in Avon Harbor that sells various seafood."

"Yep, that would be me, give me a second....." and he finished his ledger entries..... "What can I do for you?

"Have any soft sell crabs?"

"Yup.  Cleaned, individually wrapped and frozen this spring. $20 a dozen......"

"What size are they?"

"Primes"

"Oh, wait, $20 a dozen? :eek: Is that what you said?"

"Yup. $20/dozen"

Without hesitation I took a dozen and paid the man. (I had planned on getting 4 elsewhere for dinner anyway, but expected to pay $4 or so EACH.)

I then asked about shrimp, and he said shrimp season hadn't started yet, but he had frozen 5 pound blocks of 21-25 wild local shrimp.....$40. Since up here you MAY be able to get that size for $7-$8/lb on sale, they are the Asian farm raised garbage, no comparison.

So I told him I would be back later in the week, and headed north.

On the way back, I stopped at the parking lot on the ocean side just as you enter Frisco from the south, and found someone that looked like they were going out fishing. I offered him what bunker I had left over, and he gratefully took it. I wasn't gonna use it anyway, as I doubted I would be fishing the beach much anymore, much less dragging out the chunking gear. I could see me sticking it in the fridge or freezer with the best intentions and then come Friday have to toss it in the trash, so............

Back at the cottage I cleaned up and made 2 of the 4 Spanish fillets for Donna for lunch.....okay, I stole half of one fillet, and it was excellent. Simple Abbitt's breader and then lightly pan fried in butter and olive oil, on the plate with a wedge of lemon, and it was heavenly.

After that I believe Donna went out to hit some more stores, and I just puttered around the cottage organizing fishing tackle/gear, doing some laundry and whatever else. Was just as well ,as the temp outside was about 90 and the dewpoint actually had crept  up to 80! I don't think I have ever seen a dewpoint of 80, even in all the years I have gone to Hatteras, at times even in late July.

When Donna came home we had salad and then I sauteed up the softshells, and we ate and drank and laughed and hoped for a T'Storm to break the humidity...........later that evening, one went south, and one went north, and as often happens, Avon only got to see the lightning show in the distance..............

Tuesday morning the wind was still out of the SW, but not too hard, and the temps and humidity were still up, that day in the PM we again saw 80 degree dew points. I awoke about 5 AM after hearing the T'Storms going north and south of us all night, and out on the deck at just before sunrise I could see the lightning in the distance, now over the ocean and moving away as they always do, and clear/cloudy skies above. The sky was still dark enough that I could see Jupiter and Saturn in the sky to the southwest, along with some of the brighter stars, but being close to the solstice, by 5 AM they were fading quickly in the early morning light.

So after waking up and doing the morning thing with sunscreen and checking various stuff on the computer (this was new to me this year, as 8 years ago WiFi was not offered widespread, and I didn't have a laptop back then anyway....not sure if the current situation was an advantage or a an obscene disadvantage, but that is another story....let's put it this way, a few days before I saw a mother on the beach with her young 5-6 year old daughter, walking the beach and looking for shells.....and the entire time, Mom had her so called "Smart Phone" glued to her ear, and pretty much ignoring her little girl, and all I could think was "How sad is that.... :(" )

But I guess my limited use of the laptop was okay, as much as I smarted from it, as I could have current weather and other conditions at hand, since The Weather Channel has pretty much everything BUT local weather on anymore..........

So by about 6:30 after Donna was up and we discussed the day's plans, I packed up and headed to south to the Sound to make some casts for specks..............

Down on the banks of the sound as I was walking out there was a great white heron in the cove. As I headed out, he had made his way further out to the spot I set up on. I just had my phone, and having never taken a picture with it since I only got it 2 days before, I quick snapped this, not really being able to see the screen in the blazing sun, and it doesn't do it justice at all.

IMG_20180622_072856.jpg.99a85de2cfcc339d971c296cd1f33bf1.jpg

As I headed out further, he flew off across the channel, which seeing a big bird like that in flight is a magnificent sight. He took up residence along the shore of the opposing island, and I had the pleasure of watching him do whatever they do for the next hour or so.

I got to my spot, settled in, and then waded out to cast.

Wind was out of the SW, moderate but not really strong, so cast distances throwing into the wind where only slightly affected. There was a fair ripple on the water that made it hard to spot spooked baitfish. And as always, the mullet were jumping and at times making pretty big splashes.

And I gotta take a minute here to observe/ask something. Anyone know why they jump? Are they chasing baitfish, or are they spooked by other fish? As much as I know what they are and they aren't gonna take my jig, I always figure "Well, they jumped in that spot at that time for a reason, so why not put my jig right there?"

If they are just chasing baitfish, well, doing that may be in vain.

Anyway, I dd about 20 minutes of fan casting without a touch until my back and knees said it was time to take a rest on the soundbank and have a beverage, so I waded back in and sat my fat ass down, opened the cooler, and watched the heron across the way for awhile...........

I know a place in Jersey where egrets (both great, like the one in your picture, and snowies, which are slightly smaller) roost at night. Seeing hundreds of them up there in the trees is breathtaking. They are magnificent birds.

On 7/9/2018 at 4:09 PM, Steve in Mass said:

Thank you :) 

Gonna have to wait until tomorrow, as Monday is my late day at work and I plum ran out of time....... :o

How does he manage to work food into every post?  :wave:

1 hour ago, Darth Baiter said:

. . . is that a problem? . . . oh, and. . . :wave: too . . .

21 mins ago, JoelJ said:

. . . is that a problem? . . . oh, and. . . :wave: too . . .

Inside joke.  SiM loves to cook/eat :)

Posted (edited)

18 hours ago, Darth Baiter said:

Actually, I think the correct euphemism is "plumb" out of time, as in plumb out of luck or plumb forgot, with "plumb" meaning flat, plain, or something similar, Since one meaning of the word plumb is to be straight or level, like a plumb bob or that a stud is plum,  those others would follow.

:o

:wave: Craig, was wondering of you would find this, as I know your affinity for these threads. ;)

Edited by Steve in Mass

20 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

Actually, I think the correct euphemism is "plumb" out of time, as in plumb out of luck or plumb forgot, with "plumb" meaning flat, plain, or something similar, Since one meaning of the word plumb is to be straight or level, like a plumb bob or that a stud is plum,  those others would follow.

:o

:wave: Craig, was wondering of you would find this, as I know your affinity for these threads. ;)

Just spent some time catching up from the beginning, as always love the story telling.  I stumbled upon this thread by accident.  Fewer hecklers/fans here so I understand why this didn't make the Main.  Don't frequent the Tavern, don't fit in there, get ignored if I do.  Glad you got south again after an 8 year absence, didn't realize it had been that long.  Now that you addressed your health and seem in much better spirits, get them knees fixed.  Any plans for an NJ visit this fall?  Let us know.  

21 hours ago, Darth Baiter said:

Any plans for an NJ visit this fall?  

Most definitely, mid November as usual