Steve in Mass

Tales and Truths from Avon......

143 posts in this topic

The issue with the low bridge, as was mentioned above, is beach access. The longer they make it, the less places there will be to park along 12 and walk over. And don't let them fool you, it has little to do with wash over, the environmentalists will push s hard as they can as their goal is that no man will ever again step foot on Pea Island, just like what happened to the north side of Oregon Inlet years ago. So sad to not see the trucks out there with families enjoying that spot fishing, swimming etc. :(

And the Point will be next. 

Sorry, I am just a bit pissed right now about how much access has been lost since I was down 8 years ago, as I saw yet another spot lost this morning, but that will have to wait until later in the story.

As Deb siad to me in an earlier thread, whole lot different, and frankly the big majority of it is to the negative side. :(

Yes, denying access is the ultimate goal. And yes to the development, that's mainly north though, and the main reason why I always stay in Summer Place in the Village or Frisco. If I had it my way, I'd be on Portsmouth Island lol. I also think the fishing is better on the south side anyway. 

Good to hear day to day reports. We will return in October. 

So I left the beach on Sunday at about 6:30, and since speck fishing was still closed, I decided to give crabbing a shot. Unfortunately the usual spot I go to I can't get to anymore, as I am not paying $50 to go a quarter mile done the soundisde trail a bit south of here. And with my bad knees, I can't park and walk instead, as even when I could drive to it via the sound trail, it was still another 500-600 feet to the spot, and for me that is a bit of a walk in itself, especially carrying crabbing gear and a small cooler.

I had spied a place that I could park on 12 and I could get to it or another spot like it with just a short walk, so stopped there. But despite that there was no dense brush and only very ground hugging grass and vines and brambles and such I thought I could easily walk over, turns out it wasn't happening....again with the knees it was only a matter of time before I got my ankle caught in a vine and went for a header.......so I turned back.

Further down the highway I stopped at a usual spot with a path, but a longer walk.........and while the crabbing there 20-25 years ago was good, the last 15 or so, not so much, but since it has been 8 years since I have been here, figured I would give it a shot.

Set up my two lines and waited a bit....and nothing. And over the next 3 hours, only crab I saw was on the soundbank in 2 inches of water and was maybe 3/4" point to point. :dismay:

I remember when you could wade about anywhere in the sound and as you did crabs would scatter away from your feet with every step. But those days are gone. And it is so bad that even most of the commercial guys have given it up, and just being able to buy live crabs down here is a major task, but I am getting ahead here and that is a story for later chapters.

Speck season is open :) so gotta run to cast for Spanish on the beach for a bit in this light NNE at sunrise, and then stand waist deep in the sound for a few hours and hopefully catch some fish.......................

Other than the $133 diner, sounds like you're having a pretty sucky time ... hope you can catch a fish..

on the other hand, we have had great  BBQ at surfin pig.  at least over the last 2 years that I can remember. 

And yes they could have someone a little more attentive to wiping down the tables.......

17 hours ago, towpro said:

on the other hand, we have had great  BBQ at surfin pig.  at least over the last 2 years that I can remember. 

Well they either had a Very bad day, or you and I disagree on what good BBQ is. And it does not include Ore-Ida frozen curly fries.

On 6/15/2018 at 7:39 AM, ByronPA said:

Other than the $133 diner, sounds like you're having a pretty sucky time

Ah, not so much Byron, after all it ain't working...... ;)

After quitting crabbing I stopped at Diamond Shoals seafood just to see what they had, and maybe get some softshells. The finfish, not so much and nothing I was interested in. He soft crabs were $ each, frozen (which is all I had expected to get anywhere), ans they were only small primes, so I decided to wait, as I know others have better.

On the way beck, stopped at Surf's Up in Food Loin Plaza......frankly, have never really liked the place and never bought anything there, but after 8 years, I figured perhaps things have changed..... :laugh: cause well, his prices are the highest around, quality just eh, and when I asked about the size on the soft crabs, he said"Oh about this big or so" with his to index fingers..............

Um sorry, but if you can't tell me "hotels, prime, jumbo, whale", I walk the other way.... ;)

Last stop was at what used to be Risky Business in Avon, and the guy that now owns it is nice enough and willing to share info. He in fact used to work for Steve and Beth, so. He was out of soft crabs, so I settled for some Mahi. 

Back home I kinda chunked that up and did a scampi type thing with a green salad made from Spinach and other greens I had brought from my garden back home.......... And it was fairly good.....have done better but no complaints. :)

Went to bed shortly after dinner. Monday after hitting the beach at front at sunrise with nothing to show for the few casts I mad into dirty water, I spent the morning doing some scouting for another crab spot. Also had to stop at the rental agency to get them to take care of the 6" of sand in the outside shower and the fact that someone pulled the drain plug on the fixture to drain the pipes for the winter, but never put it back. So when you turned on the water to the shower head, it just ran out the bottom at your feet. And the guy they sent was a doozie :squid: , but more about that later.

I explored a lot of the soundside in Buxton and Frisco, and even Hatteras, riding down a lot of the small roads, but access was either all private or just not a spot to be able to get to the water.  At one point I did :laugh: as I drove down "Paradise Road" which led to "Euphoria Lane".....and half way down Paradise Road was a cottage named "The Ghetto"....... I thought that guy must have a good sense of humor :laugh:

Stopped at some seafood shop in Hatteras Village just a stones throw south of Hatteras Harbor Marina, and again, no live crabs, and the soft crabs she had were too pricey for me at $6+ each, but she talked my ear off.

Also stopped at a few marinas to inquire about inshore or near shore make up charters, but evidently no one does that anymore. (More on that later.)

Stopped at the Red and White Market and found some good bacon for $5 a pound, which I wanted for BLTs with the tomatoes we had bought on the way down for Tuesday.

Last stop was Risky Business when they finally opened at 11........

Oops, gotta run and start dinner...........back later

Posted (edited)

So, at Risky Business I learned, as I alluded to earlier that while Steve and Beth Bailey still owned the business, they have retired from active participation. Steve stopped setting and pulling traps a number of years ago. For awhile he would run north (I guess to Wanchese) to get a truckload of live crab, but after a bit he got tired of making the 3 hour trip a few times a week.

And Beth retired from working at the shop a couple years ago. Too bad, as I was looking forward to seeing her again, as we always had pleasant conversations.

So another spot with no live crabs anymore. They did have whale size frozen/vac-packed soft shells at $4.25 each, so picked up 4 of them for dinner. Again. none of the finfish they had got me to enamored.

Last thing I did before heading home was to stop at the Miss Hatteras head boat office to here their story, as it seemed I wasn't gonna find an inshore or near shore makeup charter. Wasn't really thrilled about going on a headboat with 20-30 other people of varying degrees of skill and such (more on that later), but it was looking as though my options were limited.

The Cap'n Clam does a half day inshore trip for $60, and I was told they were getting bluefish and Spanish and puppy drum. So at home after looking at a few more options, I decided to call and sign up for Wednesday morning.............

Back home I cleaned more stuff from my garden for salad went to Food Lion for beer and such, and then later made dinner of the soft crabs and salad.

Edited by Steve in Mass

Posted (edited)

Tuesday morning I had all these hopes for some Spanish on the beach, as the forecast was for N to NE wind that would bring in clear water. So I planned on spending the morning out there with the Spanish rod and also rigged up a rod to to some light bottom fishing for perhaps sea mullet, pompano or whatever, and bought some bait shrimp.

Little did I know it was gonna blow 15-20, which well, yeah 8 and bait on a big stout surf rod would maybe held, but for those small bottom fish, they would have to hang themselves and it would be the luck of the draw, way overkill.

The few times I did cast out on the light gear with 3 ounces, it was back at my feet in the wash, or half down the beach to the south within about 2 minutes.

So at about 6:30 I abandoned that, and after walking back the 40 steps (which with my knees/legs it no easy or short walk), I decided to head south past the point, figuring it would be less rough down there.

Of course, unless you have 4WD, there is about no beach access until you get all the way down to Hatters Village. Finally rode past the ferry dock to the access as far south as you can get. Actually a decent access for me as they have a boardwalk out to the beach and then it is only about 50 steps to the water.

Surf was a bit better, but even down there it was walk far to the left, cast, hope it settles in as you walk back to the right, and repeat.

And for two hours, not a touch. But that's fine, I observed and such, and enjoyed chatting with folks as they passed by. The time of day with the wind as it was and the sun from the east, the outer breakers were just majestic to watch with the spray and super white water in front of them as they rushed towards shore.

And that brought a thought..... I grew up knowing the ocean, first experience I was perhaps 3 years old, and have seen it ever since. So I realized while that is great, I was thinking about people from Iowa or Nebraska or wherever that saw the ocean for the first time when they were more cognizant as an adult and what it must have been like for them, seeing the absolute awe of an ocean for the first time. Something I could never experience since I grew up with it............

Paging Radar O'Reilly....... ;)

Dinner is ready, gotta run.........

Edited by Steve in Mass

On the way home I stopped at Buxton Seafood and talked with the guy there a bit. He could get live crabs, but you again had to pre-order and there was no set time that he would have him. So I took his card and said I would call him.

I then stopped at the seafood shop in Avon and got a pound of shrimp (local, wild, previously frozen) and four large sea scallops. I got them there as they had the best price on both, I think it was $13/lb for the 16-21 and $9/lb for the 21-25 shrimp and $17/lb on the scallops. So for $20 I had half a pound each of the shrimp and the 4 scallops, scampi for two that was as good as any restaurant and less than half the price. Scampi over angel hair and salad from my garden.

Until dinner time I just did stuff around the cottage, washing down gear, organizing the tackle, straightening up the car and such, and I suppose posting to this thread.

After dinner we sat on the deck a bit, and then headed to bed.

Wednesday, the Cap'n Clam ride.................

Posted (edited)

Oh, forgot to mention.......on the day I went crabbing, as I was sitting on the sound bank winding up the crab lines, about to quit, I hear this rustling behind me. as I had caught no crabs, I knew it wasn't them causing a ruckus. I look behind me and this animal was dragging off the plastic bag of bunker I was using for bait. I swung the crab net at him and he dropped it half into the reeds, but before I could get up (takes a bit with the bad knees) he came back and dragged it the rest of the way into the marsh.

I said "You son of a bitch!" and then chuckled at the thought of he and the family having a special dinner that night. After all, it was only about $2 worth of bunker.

Not sure exctly what it was......it looked like and about the size of a raccoon, but unlike the racoons we have in the northeast that are gray and black with a black mask, this was all brown with a lighter brown mask. Perhaps a different type, or do they have badgers down here? :confused:

Nope, not a badger, I guess a raccoon, somewhat like this one:

Raccoon.jpg.69b533ea75095aed63db39f0f63250e5.jpg

Edited by Steve in Mass

You sure do eat a lot :wee:

Or, should say that you sure do spend a lot of time looking for stuff to eat .. 

10 mins ago, ByronPA said:

You sure do eat a lot :wee:

Actually, down here, once a day, dinner. And as such, I want the best, not garbage, so it takes a few days to seek it out, especially since I haven't been here in 8 years and things change..... ;)

Speaking of, how is Pop's? Right now that is the plan for Friday night the day before we leave.

1 hour ago, Steve in Mass said:

Speaking of, how is Pop's? Right now that is the plan for Friday night the day before we leave.

Honestly, you're way North of my hangouts so I can't say. But, I hope it's good....