Steve in Mass

Tales and Truths from Avon......

143 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, drumfish213 said:

Also, Steve, didn't mean to hijack the thread to talk about water shoes. I will put any other questions in a new post.

You can't hijack a dead thread.

No worries about the question. And the thread ain't dead, just haven't been able to get around to it again, maybe later today.

1 hour ago, Steve in Mass said:

No worries about the question. And the thread ain't dead, just haven't been able to get around to it again, maybe later today.

C'mon man, I got no edge left to my seat.

Yeah, yeah, okay, okay......Just gotta figure out where I was..........

Oh, yeah.......... headed to my usual sound spot, and frankly, casted a lot, for 3 hours or so, had only a few bumps and a few tails nipped, and nothing remarkable was going on. At one point, a guy came with a cast net to the cove behind me (Right near the road) and threw it a few times, but didn't look like he had too much luck, perhaps got a few small baits.

I always :dismay: when I see this at this spot and think "Why are you so lazy?".......all they need to do is walk a bit further, perhaps halfway to where I am, and either cast net there blindly, or bring a bunker head or something, toss is out a bit, wait maybe, shoot, all of 30 seconds, and then throw the net. Two tosses, and you would have all the live bait you could ever want.

If I can hobble out to my spot in 7-8 minutes, I am sure these able bodied guys could get halfway to me in about 2 minutes. But I guess they are impatient and want to gun and run. :rolleyes:

A bit later, another guy came with his young daughter, perhaps 5-6 years old, and a kayak. They launched the kayak in the cove, then Dad paddled out into the sound past Great Island and then who knows where.

Meanwhile, I was casting in ~20 minute intervals, then resting and having a beverage for a few minutes, and then back out in the water casting. But not much happening other than the jumping mullet now and again. A pelican or two happened by and made a few dives with their huge splashes (which can scare the crap out of you if you happen not to see it coming!), and then went on their way.

After about another 90 minutes, Dad and Daughter came paddling back, beached the kayak up in the cove, and then waded out into the cove to kinda "swim" or I guess just to be wet. Gotta realize, where they were, the water was only about waist deep for the 5 year old kid, so Dad must have been sitting on the bottom. But they were having Father-Daughter time which brought a smile to my face. :) They stayed maybe another half hour, and then went on their way.

It got to be about 11 Am, and nothing was happening fish-wise, so I decided to pack up and head back.......

And...?  Been holding my breath since the 3rd/last installment of this riveting tale.  Starting to turn blue, get er done.

On 8/3/2018 at 8:23 AM, Billybob said:

You can't hijack a dead thread.

^^^^^^ What he said......