Steve in Mass

Tales and Truths from Avon......

143 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Normally, for those that know this, I entitle the Thread Tales and Lies, but that is when I am with friends and we all tell lies............

I am here with just myself and Donna, and everything is a true tale.............  ;)

Will also have to bear with me, as I am typing on a laptop and it is more difficult than my usual keyboard, and also, I am here to enjoy and not be spending time on the internet, so the tales will come at the times I have some time to waste.

Ride down the first day was uneventful other than some unexpected traffic way too early on 95 in the "Congestion State" north of Bridgeport where it went from 3 lanes to one as they patched the road DURING THE START OF RUSH HOUR. 5 mile back up that wasted at least 45 minutes......................

After that, not too bad, just the expected backups in southwestern CT and then around Newark on the Parkway.

Got to the Smyrna rest  area about 11:30, ate lunch, and then got to our motel in Chincoteague at about 3 PM.

After some showers to clean up and getting beer and relaxing a bit, went to Etta's for dinner.....okay, they try hard and the portions are good for the price, just I found both the crab cakes I had and the crab imperial stuffed flounder Donna had lacking seasoning. The crab cakes were good, full of lump, not a lot of fillers, just could have used a bit more Old Bay or something. And it was the same with Donna's dish......plenty of food (in fact, a huge flounder fillet), but just sort of bland.

And my Yunegling in the green bottle was skunked and sent it back to settle for a Budweiser........not a terrible meal by any means and they try hard, they just need to go the extra distance. If I remember correctly, with the generous tip, I left $80 on the table.

Next day, on to Hatteras, and some detours..........................more later..........

Edited by Steve in Mass

So, since the laundry isn't done yet and there is currently a T'Storm here..........

Left Chincoteague about 6:30 AM Saturday morning. On 13 between Accomack and Exmore, a major accident happened right before we got on the scene.....small car and of all things a flat bed tow truck.....frm the look of the little sedan,it would be amazing if the occupants survived.... :(, and it was kind of disturbing to us.,

It was in the median, so no back up, but still..........

Onto the CBBT, and the usual stop at the fish per didn't happen since that is closed for renovation (I guess?), and then into Virginia Beach. Somehow I miss calculated the timing at became kinda close whether we could get to Knott's Island by 10 AM for the ferry.

So we were kinda rushed and Donna was getting stressed, which didn't make for an exactly enjoyable ride.

As it turned out, we would have nade it, but on Princess Anne Boulevard thru Pungo and such in south Virginia Beach, at Pungo Ferry Road was a sign that the Knott's Island - Currituck Ferry was closed. I am just glad they put the sign there, as it would be a 13 mile back track if we had gotten all the way to Knott's Island.

So that was sort of a bummer, as we enjoy riding thru Macky Wildlife Refuge and then getting a break from driving for an hour or so for the ferry crossing, but so be it. I just found out today it was closed for ramp renovation the day before we got there until September.......

Posted (edited)

So we had to go the other way around and actually got to Currituck faster than the ferry would have, but that was not the point as there was no rush since we couldn't check in until at least 2 PM. Made the usual stop at Grandy Farmstand for tomatoes, corn, peaches, blueberries, grapes, watermelon and the like, then onto the rest area at Kitty Hawk to stop to have something to eat and grab the usual local tourists papers and magazines.

Since there was no rush, we drove the beach road down thru Kitty Hawk, KDH, and Nag's Head, stopping in Nags Head for a look at the beach where I talked with a couple guys about fishing.

On to Avon and it was kind of a pain as the cottage we rented this year was thru Dolphin Realty, and their only office is all the way down in Hatteras Village, so we had to drive an extra 15 or so miles and back to check in. Finally got to the cottage at about 3:30 PM on Saturday.

Lugged all the stuff up the stairs, made up the beds, and then the fun of Food Lion on a Saturday afternoon.............

Gotta run to catch a boat.....................

Edited by Steve in Mass

Posted (edited)

So, the boat was a bust, but that will have to wait to be told.

Day we get here we always do quick take out for dinner, which years ago was from the Pickled Steamer which later became the Avon Cafe in Food Lion plaza. Both were quite good with unique sandwiches, but evidently that is long gone and replaced by a generic sandwich shop (And the Bubba's that was next door is now some sushi place.... :rolleyes: )

So I had seen Surf and Pig BBQ and held high hopes........

Let me tell ya, run as fast as you can in the other direction!

First off, the floors were sticky, the tables I waited at for my order were sticky, and I swear the couple that run the place are on opiods. I walk in the the young lady was looking for the cook that I assumed was her partnr in the bathroom asking if he was alright. :squid:.... And they were both pretty much space cadets..........

The menu they had was not even close to what is on the website, and she told me that "other folks put that up and it is all wrong". Um, isn't this YOUR website and don't you control it?

At any rate, half the stuff that WAS on their menu board they didn't have the ingredients to make...........mind you, this is an early Saturday evening which should bring a lot of people in that are checking in, and they aren't prepared.

Anyway, I ended up finding something, half rack of ribs for me with fries and coleslaw, pulled pork sandwich with coleslaw for Donna.

After taking my order, the young lady said she had to go outside as she was "cold", put her head down on the table out there for the next 15 minutes as I waited. There is other stuff, but suffice to say.........

Laying out $24, get back, and well.............the cole slaw was in a tiny container you would get duck sauce in at a Chinese restaurant, and was some poorly shredded cabbage with a bit of vinegar. The fries, I am sure they were Ore Ida curly fries that that par cooked in the oven.

The ribs, although they advertise smoked everyday on site, I swear they were cooked about a week ago, the color was gross, and was basically bad pulled pork, as I couldn't even pick up a rib bone without the meat falling onto the plate. If I wanted pulled pork, I would HAVE ORDERED THAT! And as far as any BBQ sauce to attempt to make them better, all they had were tis tiny Chinese restaurant cups that you get hot mustard in, serve your own, and I would have needed about 20 to have enough.

And I actually think they were really supermarket bought pre-cooked Plumrose or whatever ribs that were cooked four times over.............

RUN THE OTHER WAY, FOLKS.................

On a better note, that is all for now as we are headed out for a gourmet meal at Inn On the Pamlico shortly, will continue later............

Edited by Steve in Mass

Plus one on Bros.... The Cowboy and a PBR 

other Favs 

Burger Burger, The Bistro, Ninos for Pizza, LaFogata -Mexican, Orange Blossom Uglies biscuits and sandwiches

IMG_3282.JPG

IMG_3787.JPG

Yeah, well, we are done with that type of stuff. Just got back from Inn on Pamlico, $133 with tax and tip, worth every penny. :th:

One other dinner "out" next week, and then Pop's the Friday night before we leave. The rest I cook...............shrimp scallop scampi tomorrow night, and then if I ever catch fish............(speck's open Friday, so................... ;))

No love for an Angelo's steak and cheese 6 minutes south in Buxton? They were pretty good last time I was there. Seriously thanks for keeping this thread out of the Tavern. Best of luck fishing Steve!!

Frisco sandwich shop next to Rod & Gun. Awesome. Second the Uglies of course.

guess you didn't see the new bridge to offer a comment?

6 hours ago, Retainer said:

guess you didn't see the new bridge to offer a comment?

Oh, I did, just forgot. Is gonna be pretty high. I hope they plan on keeping part of the south end of the current bridge for the cat walk.....not that I ever fish it, but I know a lot of people do. fishing from the new span ain't gonna happen, fish will be dead by the time you reeled it up! ;)

Also saw a new low "bridge" in a section of Pea Island, I guess where there had been a breach. Seemed like what the environmentalists proposed "long bridge" would have been like for the entire length of the refuge had that plan gone thru. Glad it didn't.

9 hours ago, 7nBait said:

Seriously thanks for keeping this thread out of the Tavern.

:laugh:, yep, that  it why it is here, but I didn't mention it cause that may just draw flies to honey. ;)

After the lousy dinner Saturday we finished unpacking and then headed to bed after a beer or two on the deck. Sunday morning I awoke at 4:30 and headed to the beach for sunrise, Spanish rod in hand. Surf was relatively small, but with the wsw wind at about 8-10, it was a bit sandy near shore, not ideal Spanish conditions. I made a few dozen casts over the next hour or so with no luck. 

This year there seems to be a huge abundance of fiddler/ghost crabs on the beach (all the way up thru the dunes to our "oceanfront" cottage), of all sizes from as small as a sand flea to perhaps 4-5" wide. So they kept me entertained while sitting between casting sessions.

At one point I did see a couple of fins surface in the water a few times, once or twice as close as 15 feet off shore. Don't know if it was small dolphins, small sharks, or perhaps a couple cobia, and having not been in the water yet, I had no idea how deep it gets how fast in this section of beach. But within 3-4 minutes, they were gone.

Gotta run for sunrise on the beach, more Spanish casting and I guess I will bottom fish for awhile then take a swim............

The long elevated “bridge road” would have been a nightmare. Both from a maintenance and access the beach point of view. 

4 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

Also saw a new low "bridge" in a section of Pea Island, I guess where there had been a breach. Seemed like what the environmentalists proposed "long bridge" would have been like for the entire length of the refuge had that plan gone thru. Glad it didn't.

The first bridge you mentioned was where the "Temprary Bridge " stood since later 2003 when Isabel cut an Inlet through there. That whole area through  there is where the road gets washed over and often times damaged because of it. So one should never complain when the road gets damaged again because the low bridge wasn't long enough. After the new big bridge gets built hopefully they will continue to somehow extend the low bridge in the future.

if you've never fished the catwalk you're missing out on some great Sheepshead fishing.