surfdaddy

How to repair leaking waders

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Here's my story. After 2 seasons using 4 pair of leaking waders held together with anything from duck tape, shoe goo and even rubber roofing tape, I finally broke down and bought a new pair of waders. I have used them at least a dozen times already this season. I can't begin to say how great it has been taking off my waders and being dry after hours in the water. But as things always go with me and waders I took a hook in the the thigh tonight and sprung a leak. 

Can anyone recommend the best way to repair a leak in breathable waders? It is not a big hole at all. Just enough to get you wet and uncomfortable. I could just cry!!! 

You want to purchase a tube of AquaSeal. Apply it on the inside after wiping the area with some isopropyl alcohol. Let it dry for 24 hours so it's nice and cured. 

I agree Aqua seal. But first take the alcohol and pour some on rag and rub over the area where you believe the hole is. Watch the area. Hole should turn dark. Then I put on a latex glove, put a tiny dab of aquaseal on finger, and rub that into the dark area right away. Let sit for eight hours--so make sure you do this someplace you can safely leave the waders where won't be moved or touched. 

I use the Tear-aid patch repair that came with my bean wader. I cut it in a circle and stick it on the outside after cleaning them. let it adhere for the allotted time. Stufff works well. 

Slime tire patch kit from Wally World.  I had a mouse chew a blood spot on mine.  Easy 2” hole......not pretty but no leaks.

19 hours ago, surfdaddy said:

Here's my story. After 2 seasons using 4 pair of leaking waders held together with anything from duck tape, shoe goo and even rubber roofing tape, I finally broke down and bought a new pair of waders. I have used them at least a dozen times already this season. I can't begin to say how great it has been taking off my waders and being dry after hours in the water. But as things always go with me and waders I took a hook in the the thigh tonight and sprung a leak. 

Can anyone recommend the best way to repair a leak in breathable waders? It is not a big hole at all. Just enough to get you wet and uncomfortable. I could just cry!!! 

For the first time in my life I fixed a leaked and put off the purchase of a new pair of breathables - for at least another few months until the next time 

I knew the general area and applied baby powder to inside. Then I used a dishpan  with water and pushed sections under the water until I saw the exact spot. Then I marked it with perm marker. Then let fully dry and applied aqua seal.

Yay 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Forget the Aqua seal ... an old timer showed me this like 20 yrs ago and been using ever since .. same dam thing as aqua seal if you ask me .. both are more or less like a gelled rubber cement.. but goop like a quarter the price .. can be found in about any big box hardware store.. get the regular one .. they make like plumbers one and few others .. just get the one that say only goop.. 

just like any patch get area cleaned best you can  ( lil soap and water )  and dry.. run lil thickish bead and gently smear with finger and leave alone for atleast an hour or so.. set up quick depending how warm  .. full cure in a day or so but have jumped in water after few hour with no problems.. good luck 

and trick i use for finding leak is stand up waders and roll top down filling with air .. a spray bottle with soapy water and alil squeezing on air filled waders usually finds them pretty easy depending on size of leak 

4DBAAE08-5338-47D4-858A-04F9415FB285.jpeg

Edited by Wire For Fire

14 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

Forget the Aqua seal ... an old timer showed me this like 20 yrs ago and been using ever since .. same dam thing as aqua seal if you ask me .. both are more or less like a gelled rubber cement.. but goop like a quarter the price .. can be found in about any big box hardware store.. get the regular one .. they make like plumbers one and few others .. just get the one that say only goop.. 

just like any patch get area cleaned best you can  ( lil soap and water )  and dry.. run lil thickish bead and gently smear with finger and leave alone for atleast an hour or so.. set up quick depending how warm  .. full cure in a day or so but have jumped in water after few hour with no problems.. good luck 

and trick i use for finding leak is stand up waders and roll top down filling with air .. a spray bottle with soapy water and alil squeezing on air filled waders usually finds them pretty easy depending on size of leak 

4DBAAE08-5338-47D4-858A-04F9415FB285.jpeg

sounds like what i do too.  i only ever self repaired hook holes or other small punctures but worked great.

Bigger “tear” (lets just say “barbed wire fence”) i sent them in ...:)

I use a can of Geocel elastomeric clear.  It won't harden up on you in the tube like aqua seal and will last a long time in the can.  For old waders, hang them up and fill one leg at a time with water, then mark the tiny leaks with a marker, empty, let dry, then repair on the outside.  You can also repair from the inside instead, just pinch the marked spot, then go inside if you have more patience. 

Another cool trick for finding leaks that I like because it's clean and kinda fun is to get yourself into a super dark room. I go into my basement at night.

Then turn on your cell phone flashlight and stick it down and into your waders. Holes will show where light leaks out. 

10 mins ago, Joe Mairo said:

Another cool trick for finding leaks that I like because it's clean and kinda fun is to get yourself into a super dark room. I go into my basement at night.

Then turn on your cell phone flashlight and stick it down and into your waders. Holes will show where light leaks out. 

Cool idea!

I have tried the flashlight inside option, but it did not find the tiny pin hole leaks of which I had many.  With water inside the leg, you can see all the wet spots indicating tiny pin holes.