Norcalbeachbum

Bought Ultegra 5500 XTD..Did I make a mistake?

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

27 mins ago, TheNapeaguePissMan said:

20 is plenty! Seriously though, if you are fishing for bass and blues in the northeast, 20 pounds of drag is more than enough. Maybe if super heavy currents are something you fish regularly (cape cod canal)..... don’t forget, guys were landing consistently  bigger fish decades ago with reels that had 12-15 pounds of drag in the same surf we still fish today...

True. How do you like the handle in the spheros for crawling lures?

8 mins ago, jeffapeikin said:

True. How do you like the handle in the spheros for crawling lures?

No complaints about the knob from me. Maybe it isn't the prettiest thing but it's made out of a sort of soft touch/grippy plastic that fits nicely in my hand and works well when wet. There are other replacement knobs on the Bay, I see a lot from some brand called "Gomexus." Don't know about their quality but I've seen guys on here putting them on their reels.... 

The Spheros 6000 in particular has a nice slow crawl - 33 inches per crank. Oddly the 5k picks up more line. This was part of my decision making when I picked it too....

4 mins ago, TheNapeaguePissMan said:

No complaints about the knob from me. Maybe it isn't the prettiest thing but it's made out of a sort of soft touch/grippy plastic that fits nicely in my hand and works well when wet. There are other replacement knobs on the Bay, I see a lot from some brand called "Gomexus." Don't know about their quality but I've seen guys on here putting them on their reels.... 

The Spheros 6000 in particular has a nice slow crawl - 33 inches per crank. Oddly the 5k picks up more line. This was part of my decision making when I picked it too....

Thanks for the insight. Sorry to hijack. 

I own a quantum cabo 40, which is similar to a Boca. I wish I would have just purchased the 50. I put the quantum on my 9'6 tiralejo and seemed okay, but I like the ultegra more. Maybe only cause its my new reel though. Maybe others can chime in. 

9 hours ago, jeffapeikin said:

I own a quantum cabo 40, which is similar to a Boca. I wish I would have just purchased the 50. I put the quantum on my 9'6 tiralejo and seemed okay, but I like the ultegra more. Maybe only cause its my new reel though. Maybe others can chime in. 

I'm still hesitant since the ultegra is a few oz heavier then the fierce 2 4000 but sounds like It might have been too light on my daiwa coastal sp 1-4. 

On 6/13/2018 at 11:47 PM, Norcalbeachbum said:

No worries! How about the quantum boca? Or stick with shimano?

Mm difficult choice. I only tried the quantum one time on my 9’6. Probably work out fine. The reel has great gears and drag. I like the shimmy more. 

Used my Quantum Cabo 40 last night in the surf and the reel is pretty good. Had one wind knot though. Really nice reel gears and drag. 

On 6/11/2018 at 3:10 PM, Norcalbeachbum said:

Hello fellow anglers, not to beat a dead horse, but need input on my recent purchase. I decided to step up my surf reel from a fierce 2 4000 to something better. Out here on the west coast i usually throw luckycraft flash minnows 3/4 oz up to sp minnows.  After weeks of searching the forums I came to a conclusion of either a stradic, gosa, or ultegra for my new air wave elite 9'6. Besides an occasional splash I try to keep my gear dry and always rinse after, so seemed like the ultegra would be a good option. The other day my local store had a sale and purchased a ultegra 5500 xtd. Still untouched in the box and wanted to see if any one had any neg long term experiences if I should return it for something better? Will it launch my lighter 3/4 lures? Anything else around 17 oz that would mate well with my 9'6 airwave  elite? 

Thanks!!

I gave away my Fierce, bought a few cheap at Target. I have both the Ultegra 5500 XTD & CI4. Roughly the size of a 8K Shimano Spinner. Love them for distance casting! If you need a sealed Surf Caster i suggest a Twin Powers, i have my SW for years & it's still cherry for all the fishing i do with it.

Ultegras.jpg

TP 5000.jpg

Fish it up. Btw, like quantum , a little line lay issue but killer drag, good overall weight, gears are stainless .