Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fly By Nite

House siding

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Can anyone lay out siding options for a home in the North East/Mid Atlantic that is not vinyl?  Looking for a cedar clapboard style and want the look of real wood siding but the benefits of a man made material. I found a fairly new product made by Boreal but it doesn't seem too popular at this point, or some guys just don't like how it installs.  Can anyone recommend a product?  Hardi cement shingles?

I priced Jardine clapboard for my garage , it was very expensive , went with the hardie panel with board and batten . 1/2 the price of clapboard . Nice stuff though holds paint like nothing else 

Although I have a prejudice towards the cedar vertical grain clapboards, I would have to agree that Hardie siding is a viable choice. It's a slip siding in that the holding nail is above the top edge of the piece below (manufacturers recommended application guide) and comes primed from the factory. 

The rough sawn side that replicates slash sawn cedar, to me , seems to be a dirt collector....nothing a good washing won't cure. The flat side is seldom used as the finish face, in my experience. I am not impressed with the required end gap between each piece and requires caulking, leaving the seam visible. I would also recommend using a flat or matte finish on the siding to reduce glare from the textured accent face.

In a search for a minimal maintenance siding I would put Hardie siding way above vinyl siding. I would also add that cedar would give a better looking finished product but would require more maintenance

Ed

If I'm residing I'm not going with something I have to paint.  Just saying.

I don't know the name of it, but a lot of the houses around me are redone with a 'plastic' cedar shingle looking panel that comes in like 4x4 sheets.  I think it looks great, even up close.  When I get the coin.....