Alferd Packer

What did you throw today?

68 posts in this topic

Starting to get the shakes. Haven’t thrown nothing in over a week. Not sure how I could be so dumb lost my wader, lure bag and jacket. 

15 mins ago, manmadeballs said:

Starting to get the shakes. Haven’t thrown nothing in over a week. Not sure how I could be so dumb lost my wader, lure bag and jacket. 

Withdrawals are brutal. Good thing you haven’t lost your mind. 

Being stupid and tired. Think I got undressed put all my stuff in a bin on the floor and drove off. Unless somebody stole it off the back of my truck and locked the lid back. All good already reordered everything except the plug I got from you last year for the CNR. 

43 mins ago, manmadeballs said:

Being stupid and tired. Think I got undressed put all my stuff in a bin on the floor and drove off. Unless somebody stole it off the back of my truck and locked the lid back. All good already reordered everything except the plug I got from you last year for the CNR. 

You are not alone! In the last year one rod lost, one plug bag stolen off my front patio. 

Posted (edited)

I sleep with my gear and the old lady doesn’t fish.

Actually, all my gear is in the closet. I only store one pole in bed. 

Edited by telecronista
Zzz

Alfred P...… great post..... to answer your initial question... I fished an evening or 2 ago.  A bit breezy at first & an outgoing tide with a lot of sweep going right to left.  A beautiful trough dumping into a huge deep hole.  Looked like the perfect darter spot so I tossed one or about 1/2 hour with no takers.  Switched over to an assortment of large top water metal lips & let them swing with the current.... still no takers….   Tried an SP & no takers…. switched to a needlefish & no takers... Finally relented & put on a 1 1/2 oz white jetty caster bucktail with 6" curly tail trailer…..3rd cast.... landed a dink around 22". I got it far out on he end of my cast.  I immediately switched back to a darter hoping something bigger might grab it....  No takers....  Went back to the bucktail & no more takers...… Walked south for 1/2 mile..... found a  beautiful shallow sandbar with an abrupt drop off.  Worked the bucktail along the drop off edge & nothing.  Farted around there for another 1/2 hour with both wood & plastic = nothing.   Walked back to the original spot that still looked good with the outgoing tide.  Begrudgingly put the bucktail back on & 2nd cast landed another dink right in close on the inside edge of the trough..... stayed here & pounded the piss out of it for another 1/2 hour -  45 mins & nothing..... moral of the story…..not many hungry fish in that stretch of beach during my time spent there....  Typically if stripers are in the surf within casting range they have one purpose in mind...… FINDING FOOD...….& under most conditions if you present a lure to them properly... be it bucktail, SP or wood you are most likely going to get hit.  All this being said.....as much as I like throwing top water I think a bucktail will produce more fish over the course of a season.  Hopefully the above will e of some benefit to the reader.... Mike

2 hours ago, Mike Fixter said:

Alfred P...… great post..... to answer your initial question... I fished an evening or 2 ago.  A bit breezy at first & an outgoing tide with a lot of sweep going right to left.  A beautiful trough dumping into a huge deep hole.  Looked like the perfect darter spot so I tossed one or about 1/2 hour with no takers.  Switched over to an assortment of large top water metal lips & let them swing with the current.... still no takers….   Tried an SP & no takers…. switched to a needlefish & no takers... Finally relented & put on a 1 1/2 oz white jetty caster bucktail with 6" curly tail trailer…..3rd cast.... landed a dink around 22". I got it far out on he end of my cast.  I immediately switched back to a darter hoping something bigger might grab it....  No takers....  Went back to the bucktail & no more takers...… Walked south for 1/2 mile..... found a  beautiful shallow sandbar with an abrupt drop off.  Worked the bucktail along the drop off edge & nothing.  Farted around there for another 1/2 hour with both wood & plastic = nothing.   Walked back to the original spot that still looked good with the outgoing tide.  Begrudgingly put the bucktail back on & 2nd cast landed another dink right in close on the inside edge of the trough..... stayed here & pounded the piss out of it for another 1/2 hour -  45 mins & nothing..... moral of the story…..not many hungry fish in that stretch of beach during my time spent there....  Typically if stripers are in the surf within casting range they have one purpose in mind...… FINDING FOOD...….& under most conditions if you present a lure to them properly... be it bucktail, SP or wood you are most likely going to get hit.  All this being said.....as much as I like throwing top water I think a bucktail will produce more fish over the course of a season.  Hopefully the above will e of some benefit to the reader.... Mike

Mike, great post. 

Yes, it’s been pretty frustrating on the beach up here as well. Lost the chartreuse pencil I got from you last year, and got my biggest striper so far, to a snap off.

Last night fished a super strike pencil followed by a series of Sp minnows, a bit of rubber, and finally a ss popper yielding one strike for my efforts.

Need to make my way down to SC to stock back up!

3 hours ago, Mike Fixter said:

I have to say bucktails are probably the least productive lures for me, I know guys swear by them and they are proven time and time again but I have had little success with them, perhaps I'm just not that efficient at working them. Another thing that puts me off them is they cast awful compared to everything else I throw out there.

Man things just not going right. Got some cheapo waders in the mail today, totally the wrong size. Then went to test cast the new rig and it has a wobble. 

8158D2A6-3C9B-4F5D-B372-4D21226D9007.jpeg

3 hours ago, Madraz said:

I have to say bucktails are probably the least productive lures for me, I know guys swear by them and they are proven time and time again but I have had little success with them, perhaps I'm just not that efficient at working them. Another thing that puts me off them is they cast awful compared to everything else I throw out there.

Madraz,  what rod, reel & line are you using to cast buck tails?  I get quite adequate distance with  buck tails weighing 1 oz or more.   Although if the fish are in close & conditions allow I will drop down to as light as 1/2 oz. 

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, manmadeballs said:

Man things just not going right. Got some cheapo waders in the mail today, totally the wrong size. Then went to test cast the new rig and it has a wobble. 

8158D2A6-3C9B-4F5D-B372-4D21226D9007.jpeg

Watch out on that spool. You may want to strip off a bit of line.

Edited by Alferd Packer

Posted (edited)

Hi Alfred:

It's been a lot of big swell with short periods recently where I fish, so I haven't been going on top as much as I'd like to.    Basically, most days out thus far my legs and casting muscles have been getting into great shape, whereas the fish-fighting ones have atrophied a bit.   I have scared up a couple of fish using slow swimmers (pikies) in foamy water, but mostly the payoff has been using sub-surface, and a lot of times metal because of the distance required and the absolutely lousy conditions.     That being said, my best fish this year so far has come from using the venerable silver hard-plastic minnow (floating model fished fast with pauses) depicted in your photo, and that was in about 20 knots of breeze, fishing my way back to my car after the water started turning to froth..  I do OK with bucktail jigs but for some reason have never been able to like using them even a little bit - really have to force myself to clip one on.    Hoping to see low swells and a 15 second+ periods soon and get the topwater really going - maybe even get out the fly rod and use poppers/crease flies.

- Stu

Edited by Mariner
corrected "ducktail" to be "bucktail"

1 hour ago, Mariner said:

Hi Alfred:

It's been a lot of big swell with short periods recently where I fish, so I haven't been going on top as much as I'd like to.    Basically, most days out thus far my legs and casting muscles have been getting into great shape, whereas the fish-fighting ones have atrophied a bit.   I have scared up a couple of fish using slow swimmers (pikies) in foamy water, but mostly the payoff has been using sub-surface, and a lot of times metal because of the distance required and the absolutely lousy conditions.     That being said, my best fish this year so far has come from using the venerable silver hard-plastic minnow (floating model fished fast with pauses) depicted in your photo, and that was in about 20 knots of breeze, fishing my way back to my car after the water started turning to froth..  I do OK with bucktail jigs but for some reason have never been able to like using them even a little bit - really have to force myself to clip one on.    Hoping to see low swells and a 15 second+ periods soon and get the topwater really going - maybe even get out the fly rod and use poppers/crease flies.

- Stu

Stu- Great information!

I heard rumors that you live in MV. As do I, we should consider hitting the water together one of these days.