What did you throw today?

Rate this topic

Not sure what you guys think of this,  but maybe it could be useful as a thread to address the question that comes after “what rod and reel should I use?” That being “what lures should I use?”

Since I hadn’t been out in nearly a week I needed to feed the urge to get on the water, but given the tides I wasn’t expecting much. When I got out to my spot that’s generally productive on the ebb, my less than optimistic expectations were confirmed, it was windy and no one had lines in the water. 

Since there was a good breeze right down the channel, and good current, I choose to fish lures that were a bit on the heavy side. Here’s the line up, I fished these in order from left to right.

49620A6C-383B-4C6C-B98B-FFA7DA3E2E41.jpeg

First up (and not in the picture) was a super strike floating needle. Why? I’ve been reading a lot about them lately and I wanted to build up my skill. I made two casts with it. Even with thin 20 lb braid, the wind was strong enough to catch the line and send the needle planeing down the channel like Miss Budweiser! Note to self, if they don’t naturally dig in, no more top water today. I had a couple of pencils with me, but given the wind strength and direction I didn’t think I could work them very well, so they stayed in the bag. 

Next was the Pikie I got at the fling last year. Why? Why not. I was casting the plug across the current into an eddie, and let the line be sucked out with the current to create a big arc. This way I was able to get it much farther upwind than could cast, and was able to work a lot of water with it. I was able to get it in an area where I was getting strikes, and one fish lost, but I wasn’t able to close the deal,

Next was the number 17 SP Minnow in bone, I’ve had a lot of luck with it in the past and thought the wiggling action but thinner profile than the Pikie would produce.  It was about the third cast that I was able to get it back into the area where I was getting strikes and was able to set the hook & land a striper running about 25-26 inches. But I got no other hits after that and switched to the number 15 minnow. After 10 or so casts with that one, nada.

Since the current was still pretty strong I decided to bounce the 1oz jig head with chartreuse grub along the bottom. This produced strikes starting with the first cast and netted me a short on cast number three. I had a few more strikes on it but nothing landed

On a whim, I clipped on the super strike popper after 10-15 casts with no action I moved on.

In going back to working the bottom I started with a 2oz  bucktail but the current was subsiding and it was too heavy so I switched to the 1oz. It didn’t drag the bottom nearly as much, but no takers.

I went with the castmaster as a last ditch attempt to find interested fish but nada, so I called it a day.

So, who’s up next??

Edited by Alferd Packer

13 hours ago, Alferd Packer said:

Not sure what you guys think of this,  but maybe it could be useful as a thread to address the question that comes after “what rod and reel should I use?” That being “what lures should I use?”

Since I hadn’t been out in nearly a week I needed to feed the urge to get on the water, but given the tides I wasn’t expecting much. When I got out to my spot that’s generally productive on the ebb, my less than optimistic expectations were confirmed, it was windy and no one had lines in the water. 

Since there was a good breeze right down the channel, and good current, I choose to fish lures that were a bit on the heavy side. Here’s the line up, I fished these in order from left to right.

49620A6C-383B-4C6C-B98B-FFA7DA3E2E41.jpeg

First up (and not in the picture) was a super strike floating needle. Why? I’ve been reading a lot about them lately and I wanted to build up my skill. I made two casts with it. Even with thin 20 lb braid, the wind was strong enough to catch the line and send the needle planeing down the channel like Miss Budweiser! Note to self, if they don’t naturally dig in, no more top water today.

Yeah I have that happen with sinking needles and have to wait for them to sink but yeah sometimes the line basically becomes a kite and drags 'em along where the winds wants to go. I prefer to use them where I can cast straight into wind generally. 

That bone SP minnow looks brand new. Are you new to those lures. How do you like them? Same goes for that minnow you are calling number 15--I couldn't find that online. Do u like?

47 mins ago, Otshawytsha said:

Yeah I have that happen with sinking needles and have to wait for them to sink but yeah sometimes the line basically becomes a kite and drags 'em along where the winds wants to go. I prefer to use them where I can cast straight into wind generally. 

That bone SP minnow looks brand new. Are you new to those lures. How do you like them? Same goes for that minnow you are calling number 15--I couldn't find that online. Do u like?

The bone SP has plenty of miles on it, but I have changed out the hooks. Numbers 15 &17 minnows in bone are a go to lure for me. The other one I don’t have much experience with yet. I’ve also had good luck with laser minnow and chicken scratch. I always have 3 or 4 in my bag. I got these either at West Marine in Sausalito, or Bay Discount in El Cerrito.

I like this thread topic Packer. Basically take a picture of what I am washing off in my kitchen sink after fishing and post it here to be discussed. Why did you chose these? Were fish caught on any? What was the retrieve that caught, what were the retrieves that went unanswered? Will try to remember to take a pic when my plugs are on the drying rack.

20 hours ago, Alferd Packer said:

The bone SP has plenty of miles on it, but I have changed out the hooks. Numbers 15 &17 minnows in bone are a go to lure for me. The other one I don’t have much experience with yet. I’ve also had good luck with laser minnow and chicken scratch. I always have 3 or 4 in my bag. I got these either at West Marine in Sausalito, or Bay Discount in El Cerrito.

Cool. So few tackle shops Bay Area!!!

Edited by Otshawytsha

I was in there a couple of times. Pretty sad, but they didn’t have much tackle. Ken, the fishing manager in Sausalito has put in a lot of time to improve the department. 

You have Hi’s down there. They should have a good selection.

Ok, who’s up next to show us what they fished????

53 mins ago, Linesideslayer said:

I like this thread topic Packer. Basically take a picture of what I am washing off in my kitchen sink after fishing and post it here to be discussed. Why did you chose these? Were fish caught on any? What was the retrieve that caught, what were the retrieves that went unanswered? Will try to remember to take a pic when my plugs are on the drying rack.

Exactly!

4 hours ago, Otshawytsha said:

17 is the 7”,15 is the 6”, and 13 is the 5”. F for float and S for sink. 

'If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck, I'd swim to the bottom and never come up.'  Chuck Ragan