Wicked-Fly

Clear sink tip?

14 posts in this topic

Looking for a fast sinking sink tip line with a floating belly and the head is clear, anyone know a manufacturer that makes em? Searched bearsden and a couple other sites but couldn't find one. Wondering if the materials used to make em sink fast limits the ability to make em clear?

Posted (edited)

^ I also suspect the only clear sink tip lines  come with Intermediate tips since the demand is primarily for shallow water applications, I just don't think the demand is there for anything else. I believe the fast sink line are impregnated with tungsten dust so I think you hit the nail on the head as to why the don't make it in clear.

Edited by bonefishdick

Posted (edited)

What weight line are you looking for?

The Airflo Beach comes in two versions, one of which has a 33' clear head with a floating running line.

Only available up to an 8 wt / 300 gr head.

The head is a intermediate though.

Might look at Guideline Coastal as well. Not a clear head but have heard good things about it.

Can't really think of any that are clear and sink fast.

SF

Edited by Stonefish

Posted (edited)

Wulff Ambush w/clear int. head. Don't think it's possible to make a fast sink clear......at least I haven't found one yet.

Edited by Squish

thanks everyone, kinda what I figured. could be a good market opportunity there, just need to find a way to make clear tungsten powder...anyone know any scientists? :D

If you really want an clear tip in your sinking line you can of course make one yourself. Just splice/bind 10' of clear intermediate to the front part of your normal sinker. Not exactly what your looking for, but doable.  

Monic makes clear intermediate and floating lines, @Wicked-Fly I was throwing their prototype floating shooting head last time we went out. A decent line. 

There is no such thing as a fast sinking CLEAR sink tip fly line. As stated above the clear sink tips are Type 1 intermediate head / tip sections. To achieve your goal you might employ a Chico Hernandez trick / recommendation ....

With an integrated sinking head section to a floating running line (everybody makes them) ... use a long clear monofilament  / fluorocarbon leader section of 9 to 12 feet. Standard practice with sinking tip / head sections is to use a short leader & tippet section ... like 7 foot max. 

Chico would advocate for the much longer clear leader section to fool line wary fish. On the end of that long leader section a weighted fly (Clouser / Surf Candy) stays down .... instead of floating up. It's not a bad thing for the fly to float up necessarily ... see Lou Tabory and the employment of a Snake Fly.

Just my 2 cents.

Just what is the use here? Trying to understand the need for a clear tip on a fast sinking tip. Fast sinking indicates its for deeper applications where light penetration isn't the issue it is closer to the surface. Hence why clear lines are intermediates. If you are fishing deeper then a fish seeing the line shouldn't be an issue. What am I missing?