Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jalthoff

Having fun in Rhody

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Amazing few days fishing down in RI with a friend.  All I can say is that Saturday there were absolutely huge schools of bass keyed in on small (2-3") sandeels.  They were picky - you had to go with small flies to get them to bite. But once we figured it out and tied on some small flatwings and epoxy minnows it was a stellar day.  14 hours on a boat can make walking to the car a bit rough, but after landing 40+ stripers between the two of us we did not care.

Not quite as much action today, schools were more dispersed and seemed to be turned off by the shifting wind dirction.  By 9am the blues had pushed the bass of the sandeels, or were at least beating them to the flies.  After losing 5 flies I finally broke down and tied on some 60 pound tippet as a bite tippet.  Miss the old days when my father in law had a smoker - would have gone to town if I'd had that option - love smoked bluefish!

IMG_3762.jpg

IMG_3775.jpg

IMG_3757.jpg

IMG_3742.jpg

IMG_3764.jpg

IMG_3774.jpg

IMG_3773.jpg

IMG_3778.jpg

That's awesome. Just starting out on the east coast. Wondering what type of bite tippet do you guys use for the blues? Thanks