MoreLunkers

Pros/Cons of Tactical Angler Clips?

Rate this topic

90 posts in this topic

On 6/10/2018 at 8:25 PM, autonomos said:

I like the Breakaway clips better

Have you tried the Sea Striker clips ?

Unless they've changed them in the past 3 years (last pack I bought) they're almost indistinguishable from the BreakAways

7 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Unless they've changed them in the past 3 years (last pack I bought) they're almost indistinguishable from the BreakAways

Sea striker clips look similar, but quality is not the same. Some of the wire on the inside of clip are too long, making it a hassle to clip on some jig and bucktails. I repurpose the rest of the pack as weight clips for scoobydoo rig. 

42 mins ago, Steg said:

Seaspin Jack clips are good. They're similar to the Breakaway clips but have a kind of teardrop shape. They seem to be made of good stainless steel, and are made in Italy. Available in a greater range of sizes than the Breakaways.

These look very good...

All I ever use are TA Clips.  Had bad experiences with others like Breakaway etc. I change the clip and leader after a session or two.  Small price tp pay.  All my Tins have a 3"  60lb Mono leader with a swivel attached.  Easy on/off without damaging the clip.  Once again, change the leader after a few uses or after catching a number of fish on it.  It may seem like a lot of work but its a small price to pay.  Laziness gets you a lot of lost fish.

sb

I have migrated away from the clips over the past year or so. No real issue with them other than they don't work well with the rigged eels that I like to throw.

I have been using coastlocks recently. Before clips that's pretty much all that I ever used (at least for a long time). I did use duolocks for a while, stuck to rosco they are fairly reliable but sooner or later one will open up on you. 

The pic below shows a coastlock that opened up on me this past fall on a low 40" class fish, obviously still landed it. Probably the first time that has happened to me with a coastlock. That particular clip probably should have been switched out. I got a little sloppy about changing leaders this fall. 

DSCN2216xxx.jpg

3 mins ago, Drew C. said:

I have migrated away from the clips over the past year or so. No real issue with them other than they don't work well with the rigged eels that I like to throw.

I have been using coastlocks recently. Before clips that's pretty much all that I ever used (at least for a long time). I did use duolocks for a while, stuck to rosco they are fairly reliable but sooner or later one will open up on you. 

The pic below shows a coastlock that opened up on me this past fall on a low 40" class fish, obviously still landed it. Probably the first time that has happened to me with a coastlock. That particular clip probably should have been switched out. I got a little sloppy about changing leaders this fall. 

DSCN2216xxx.jpg

What size coastal locks do you use or recommend?

35 mins ago, Mark L said:

What size coastal locks do you use or recommend?

I like the rosco #34/150lb clip. I have some others as well but not sure of the brand or the size. 

I need a clip for a very specific use - it has to work with the eel squids that I fish. So there needs to be enough of a loop at the bottom to allow the squid to swing and the top part needs to be able to pass thru the eye of the eel squid as well. That's not an easy find in reality. 

Duolocks are actually perfect in size and shape but I don't trust them for this particular use. They will open up.

ps - i just checked my stash, I'm now not sure what I'm actually using with the eel squids. I went thru a couple of types to find what would work (and apparently didn't write down what the best option was). For general use, the rosco snap is great. The one that opened up in the pic, it's not a rosco. It's old stock from some purchase years ago, don't know who made 'em, not even sure where I got them at this point but they're probably 20 years old. my stash is starting to dwindle and I was trying to make them last and probably over used that particular clip. I do have newer stock that works, just haven't started using them a lot yet.

For me they were groundbreaking in simplicity and function. Nothing to open or close, and it's an instant two way 'coupling' for terminal tackle. The uniform profile reels easily through surf rod guides. This helps me because I often switch between spinner and conventional when surfcasting.

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

I like the rosco #34/150lb clip. I have some others as well but not sure of the brand or the size. 

I need a clip for a very specific use - it has to work with the eel squids that I fish. So there needs to be enough of a loop at the bottom to allow the squid to swing and the top part needs to be able to pass thru the eye of the eel squid as well. That's not an easy find in reality. 

Duolocks are actually perfect in size and shape but I don't trust them for this particular use. They will open up.

ps - i just checked my stash, I'm now not sure what I'm actually using with the eel squids. I went thru a couple of types to find what would work (and apparently didn't write down what the best option was). For general use, the rosco snap is great. The one that opened up in the pic, it's not a rosco. It's old stock from some purchase years ago, don't know who made 'em, not even sure where I got them at this point but they're probably 20 years old. my stash is starting to dwindle and I was trying to make them last and probably over used that particular clip. I do have newer stock that works, just haven't started using them a lot yet.

Thanks Drew

18 hours ago, Sudsy said:

No I haven't.  I've been happy with the breakaways so far but I'll check out the sea strikers if I ever come across them.

On 12/8/2018 at 7:42 AM, Stripedbass50lbs said:

All I ever use are TA Clips.  Had bad experiences with others like Breakaway etc. I change the clip and leader after a session or two.  Small price tp pay.  All my Tins have a 3"  60lb Mono leader with a swivel attached.  Easy on/off without damaging the clip.  Once again, change the leader after a few uses or after catching a number of fish on it.  It may seem like a lot of work but its a small price to pay.  Laziness gets you a lot of lost fish.

sb

I'm switching my mono leaders out frequently, but not fluoro.  Too expensive and it holds up better so is not needed in my opinion.  I only swap when the fluoro starts to fray or look damaged at all, and sometimes that means that the clip gets switched out ten times before my leader gets changed 

Edited by Bluetaildragger

On 12/8/2018 at 7:42 AM, Stripedbass50lbs said:

sb

SB..........how about a nice big a$$ split ring for those tins??  I have them on all my Charlie Graves, as well as, all other tins/metals.............

17 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

SB..........how about a nice big a$$ split ring for those tins??  I have them on all my Charlie Graves, as well as, all other tins/metals.............

Thanks You for responding. It seems to me that those rings must be pretty large. Don't those Large Split Rings stay open due to forcing them on a Charlie Graves?  Secondly, do they disturb the silhouette and pick up more grass than they should?  I am always looking for a better Mouse Trap so will be willing to try your suggestion. I never used a Large Split Ring on a tin but used them on some plugs.  Thanks again for responding. Have a Merry Christmas.

sb

18 hours ago, Bluetaildragger said:

I'm switching my mono leaders out frequently, but not fluoro.  Too expensive and it holds up better so is not needed in my opinion.  I only swap when the fluoro starts to fray or look damaged at all, and sometimes that means that the clip gets switched out ten times before my leader gets changed 

Thank You for responding.  I also change leaders frequently.  In fact I carry several 34" Mono Leaders with only a snap attached to one end.  This way when the current leader becomes fraid, all I have to do is cut the old leader at the bottom of the swivel and attach the new leader to the same swivel using a clinch knot. No need to re tie the swivel to the standing line (which is much harder) during the night or strong wind. When fishing a tin with a small mono leader attached I change it often as the mono can weaken from an extended use.  This is what I do as I feel good with both procedures.  One thing I have learned from over 50 yrs in the suds, we must use those things we feel most comfortable with.  Good Luck and Merry Christmas.

4 hours ago, Stripedbass50lbs said:

Thanks You for responding. It seems to me that those rings must be pretty large. Don't those Large Split Rings stay open due to forcing them on a Charlie Graves?  Secondly, do they disturb the silhouette and pick up more grass than they should?  I am always looking for a better Mouse Trap so will be willing to try your suggestion. I never used a Large Split Ring on a tin but used them on some plugs.  Thanks again for responding. Have a Merry Christmas.

sb

I don't use large rings at all.......just ones big enough that fit though the top of those CG tins, which i classify as the toughest ones to get those rings on.  Once you're able to force those rings on, yes...they may be slightly "stretched" open.  I simply get a pair of needlenose pliers and twist them over the center of the split ring inside out and leave them like that for several minutes.  After that, i'll twist them back and reshape 'em a little with the pliers and you should be good to go..........

There was a thread on this technique some time ago..........you might want to search "Split rings on tins/metals"