MoreLunkers

Pros/Cons of Tactical Angler Clips?

Rate this topic

90 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Bluetaildragger said:

Anyone have trouble with the TA clips bending at the end where you put the lure?  After a day or two of hard fishing, the clip end bends out, making it hard to put a lure on and increases the chances of it straightening out on a big fish.  Am I the only one?  Maybe I should switch to 75 lb rather than the 50 lb I use.  Smaller size is just great because it fits through guides and I'm lazy :rav:

I would think this is NOT a good idea regardless of what the size.........................No??:shrug:

27 mins ago, yogiiiboy said:

I would think this is NOT a good idea regardless of what the size.........................No??:shrug:

Let me clarify- I'm not reeling anything through my guides... not even my leader to braid knot (I use an alberto knot rather than a barrel).  But when I want to change out reels, being able to carefully thread the clip through the guides rather than cut it off is very convenient and totally fine for my rod 

The only let down I could find with them is the smallest one was a bit too big.

That changed.  They have some 25lb micros coming out in 2019.

I'm playing with em now.  They may take over my mustad fastach's especially in the colder months.

no pinching and turning with numb fingers.

6 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

The only let down I could find with them is the smallest one was a bit too big.

That changed.  They have some 25lb micros coming out in 2019.

I'm playing with em now.  They may take over my mustad fastach's especially in the colder months.

no pinching and turning with numb fingers.

Interesting, thanks for the info.  How often are you finding yourself having to replace the smallest ones available now (50s i believe)?.  Mine get bent pretty quickly.  Could be I'm too rough on them but I don't know 

28 mins ago, Bluetaildragger said:

Interesting, thanks for the info.  How often are you finding yourself having to replace the smallest ones available now (50s i believe)?.  Mine get bent pretty quickly.  Could be I'm too rough on them but I don't know 

In my experience, I damage clips mostly attaching/detaching them from lures. 

4 mins ago, rollincoal said:

I find the 50's get bent fairly easy. If you torque down a knot just a little to hard (which is to say, u do not have to pull very hard) they will bend or if you pull on a clip with a pair of pliers to cinch down a knot they will bend.  Is the 50lb, 75lb breaking strength etc measured by when they start to bend or when the completely fail?  For me if they are bent just a little - the clip is no good.

Curious to see the micro clips...I know I will like them although i'm sure they will drive me nuts.

34 mins ago, rollincoal said:

I feel the same way.  Days where I'm frequently changing to figure out what'll get them to chew leaves  me with a damaged clip.  I guess I'm not the only one, still an awesome product I couldn't imagine going back to fishing without 

Edited by Bluetaildragger
spelling

whats funny is the TA clip is a modified copy of the breakaway clip, now they (i believe Tsunami) have modified the TA style clip and improved on it and the maker of TA blasts them for copying the design

1 hour ago, JoeyZac said:

Really worth watching.

Heyyy....I know that guy....talks a bit too much for my liking though :)

1 hour ago, Cpalms said:

I find the 50's get bent fairly easy. If you torque down a knot just a little to hard (which is to say, u do not have to pull very hard) they will bend or if you pull on a clip with a pair of pliers to cinch down a knot they will bend.  Is the 50lb, 75lb breaking strength etc measured by when they start to bend or when the completely fail?  For me if they are bent just a little - the clip is no good.

Curious to see the micro clips...I know I will like them although i'm sure they will drive me nuts.

I’ve definitely bent the small clips tightening knots. 

Since ive started making my own clips out of the spring steel wire I use to wire plugs, I’d not go back to store bought. Not necessarily pretty but much better.

1 hour ago, Bluetaildragger said:

I use the 50s on some larger fw lures and I don't really swap all that much maybe rotate between 5 or 6 swimbaits per outing.

I use the 75's the most and they don't give me any problems at all.

The only clip i have an issue with regarding is oddly the size 1 fastach. Something about the wire former for that specific size in the multipe packs purchased from multiple sources at different times of year.  Don't have a long enough tag end and ya gotta fight to get it on the lure.  The smaller size doesn't have that issue nor does the larger.

But I move to TA clips as mentioned above when I go larger than a size 1 in the fastach style.

On 6/10/2018 at 2:11 AM, scoobydoo said:

For small baits and hooks go with mustad fastach clips.

Don't fish around snags, the clips unbend if you put too much force on em trying to pull a stuck plug out

I use the TA clips nearly exclusively

The only time I don't is when fishing a tin squid or rigged eel on a tin squid. The only clips that work then are duolocks or (and I'm not a fan) coastlocks

2 hours ago, Bluetaildragger said:

Let me clarify- I'm not reeling anything through my guides... not even my leader to braid knot (I use an alberto knot rather than a barrel).  But when I want to change out reels, being able to carefully thread the clip through the guides rather than cut it off is very convenient and totally fine for my rod 

Gotcha :th: