MoreLunkers

Pros/Cons of Tactical Angler Clips?

Rate this topic

90 posts in this topic

i use the 50lb clips because i use 30lb line so i figure whats the point in more hardware. biggest fish to date 48lb snook with no issue 

One thing that I have learned from 50+ years in the surf, You, I, will stay with something that we feel comfortable with.  Many on this site swear by Power Pro, Others including myself hate it.  Now getting  back  to TA Clips, that's all I use. I have had Cross Locks split down the middle, Duo Locks Open Up, and I have lost a 2  plugs while using Breakaways. I have solved the problem (at least for me) of attaching a Tin to The TA or any of the other Paper Clip Type Snaps. I tie a 4" length of Ande 60lb Mono to all my tins. I then attach a swivel to the other open end. This  makes it easier to place the tin on any type of Paper Clip Snap. Some of my buddies say that  its too much hardware that will spook the fish.  However, I have never felt it affected my catch. Consider that many fishermen will use Darters,  SP Minnows, etc with all those trebles hanging down, and they do not spook the fish.  So why will my set up do so?  As I mentioned in the beginning of my post, Its all what we feel comfortable with. Just  my .02.  Good Luck.

sb

3 hours ago, Stripedbass50lbs said:

One thing that I have learned from 50+ years in the surf, You, I, will stay with something that we feel comfortable with.  Many on this site swear by Power Pro, Others including myself hate it.  Now getting  back  to TA Clips, that's all I use. I have had Cross Locks split down the middle, Duo Locks Open Up, and I have lost a 2  plugs while using Breakaways. I have solved the problem (at least for me) of attaching a Tin to The TA or any of the other Paper Clip Type Snaps. I tie a 4" length of Ande 60lb Mono to all my tins. I then attach a swivel to the other open end. This  makes it easier to place the tin on any type of Paper Clip Snap. Some of my buddies say that  its too much hardware that will spook the fish.  However, I have never felt it affected my catch. Consider that many fishermen will use Darters,  SP Minnows, etc with all those trebles hanging down, and they do not spook the fish.  So why will my set up do so?  As I mentioned in the beginning of my post, Its all what we feel comfortable with. Just  my .02.  Good Luck.

sb

I like that hardware comparison to the treble hooks. Point taken:howdy:

Thanks for all the tips fellas

On 6/10/2018 at 1:58 AM, Fastway Fishing said:

I am thinking about buying a pack of the smallest version of these to tryout for a season in the freshwater, think it would be worth it?

I font know because they may be a little big for freshwater because 50 lb is a bit overkill

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 hours ago, Stripedbass50lbs said:

sb

was interesting that the on the water poll of their sharpies had Power pro as the first choice.

Edited by HugeDinghy

18 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

was interesting that the on the water poll of their sharpies had Power pro as the first choice.

That was my point exactly, we tend to use what we feel comfortable with. Good Luck

sb

On 6/15/2018 at 5:09 AM, Stripedbass50lbs said:

sb

You got a picture of that SB50 ?

8 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

You got a picture of that SB50 ?

No, but its nothing fancy.  Tie a clinch knot to the tin using 60Lb Mono, then tie a swivel to the open end. Make sure that the set us measures no more than 4". It now becomes a part of your leader and makes the length 4" longer. Just one note of caution. As you are finishing your retrieve be aware that the additional length may cause the Main Line to Leader (knot/swivel) to strike your rod tiptop and make adjustments accordingly. Good Luck

sb

I have used both TA and Breakaways. I had trouble with the TA's not getting the roll of the lure because, I think the angle at the end of the clip is causing the restricted moment of the lure as compared to the Breakaways because they have a rounded end, more like a split ring. What say you? 

16 hours ago, Reef said:

I have used both TA and Breakaways. I had trouble with the TA's not getting the roll of the lure because, I think the angle at the end of the clip is causing the restricted moment of the lure as compared to the Breakaways because they have a rounded end, more like a split ring. What say you? 

The TA's got rid of the pointy end (last year or two ago) and are now rounded. I hated the point and bought a bunch of Breakaways instead. Still have a decent supply, and they've never failed even in the canal current.

I might consider trying the redesigned TA's when I run low on Breakaways, but if it ain't broke . . .

On 6/13/2018 at 9:15 AM, HugeDinghy said:

the best thing about TA clips are trying to get them on or off a BD and burying the fuqn thing under your thumbnail  :th:

THIS!

Anyone have trouble with the TA clips bending at the end where you put the lure?  After a day or two of hard fishing, the clip end bends out, making it hard to put a lure on and increases the chances of it straightening out on a big fish.  Am I the only one?  Maybe I should switch to 75 lb rather than the 50 lb I use.  Smaller size is just great because it fits through guides and I'm lazy :rav:

I used the Breakaway clips last season.  For me the Pro's outweighed the Cons.  I did see a slight change in some of the lighter top water lures I use like  the Rebel Jumpin Minnow (3/8-1/2 oz).  While using the clip and using a very slow retrieve the nose would dip a bit under the surface.  Not a huge deal and very manageable. 

What is the difference between the TA and Breakaway?