MoreLunkers

Pros/Cons of Tactical Angler Clips?

Rate this topic

90 posts in this topic

In my experience, it can be an enormous PIA to attach and remove jigs (as some have mentioned above) with tactical angler clips. I just ordered some breakaways - hopefully those aren't as problematic.

The TA style clip is the easiest to use by far but I don't use them very often because I lost a fish ( not a very large one) and a plug during a late night session. I was fishing a small jetty and landing some average fish and during a quick fight, all of a sudden poof ... I figured the line parted due to a knock in the line from the rocks but when I flipped on the headlamp, I find my TA style clip still there and looking as good as new ... I quickly lost confidence in them and switched to egg style cross lock snap ... they are not easy to use but I have found the to be bulletproof and are easier to use with some metals like Hopkins. 

I got a pack of 50's and a pack of 75's and they cover everything I do. I started with the 125's but for my style of fishing they're a little big as I'm mostly using smaller plugs and swim shads and such. I imagine the 125's would be great for bigger plugs in the surf.

6 hours ago, RightHandRetrieve said:

In my experience, it can be an enormous PIA to attach and remove jigs (as some have mentioned above) with tactical angler clips. I just ordered some breakaways - hopefully those aren't as problematic.

I seem to have an easier time with the breakaways.  And the breakaway 50 lb. is definitely stronger than the TA 50 lb.  But lately I'm using the breakaway 80 lb. for everything.

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 0:23 PM, zak-striper said:

Have you compared the fastach clips to Duo Lock Snaps?

I use the Duos for freshwater and small, saltwater lures. The only problems I've had with the Duos have been user error, when I don't make sure I closed the darn things, which I do once in a blue moon because when I'm wearing my contacts during low light, sometimes it's hard to see if I closed it correctly.

I tied TA clips and just did not care for them. It's very hard for me to break away from something that has been pretty much perfect for decades. The Duolock. Specifically the Rosco brand, has been my go to for as long as I can remember. Buy straight from the company so you are sure to get the real deal. Decades of shops knowingly or unknowingly selling cheap inferior knockoffs has blemished the reliability of this snap design IMO. From the factory they are solid.

Love em.  Been using the tiny ones for FW.  I like because the profile is so small.   Go To for any surf plugging.

21 hours ago, autonomos said:

I seem to have an easier time with the breakaways.  And the breakaway 50 lb. is definitely stronger than the TA 50 lb.  But lately I'm using the breakaway 80 lb. for everything.

I like the breakaway spin links sp2 - just got some TA's try but so far the Breakaways are my favorite. 

I use the breakaway 50lb clips, never had an issue.  I wish they made a even smaller size for smaller baits, like a 25lb clip. Once in a while I use a 75lb clip but rarely.  my line will snap before a 50lb clip gives... 

Received my order from Breakaway (the real company in the UK - not the guys ripping off their brand in Texas) and fished them this morning. I will NEVER go back to Tactical Angler. The Breakaway clips are so much easier to use - attaching and removing plugs is a dream. Cutting off the TAs from all my leaders and retying with Breakaways.

the best thing about TA clips are trying to get them on or off a BD and burying the fuqn thing under your thumbnail  :th:

Other than bucktails and some metals like Kastmasters, which I now add a split ring to to ease clipping them on, I've never had an issue with TA clips.  Even with bucktails it just takes some patience but its still WAY faster than tying knots.  Use the 50's for my light tackle and the 75/125's for everything else.  In the last 6 years of using them I've had 2 deform, not fail but bend.  Both were the 50's and I'm pretty sure one was because in my haste to get back to the hot bite I accidentally grabbed the clip with my pliers to pull the bucktail out of a gators mouth.  The second was slightly opened after 100 albies.   Neither was in danger of failing but I changed them immediately for obvious reasons