MoreLunkers

Pros/Cons of Tactical Angler Clips?

Rate this topic

90 posts in this topic

This is my first season using tactical angler clips and i have found myself changing lures every 20 minutes if i don’t get any hits.. Is this normal? Do these clips effect the lure’s swimming motion? 

Changing lures is your call, TA clips just make life easier.  Any difference in clip or leader will change something a tiny bit. The "pros" all do things a little different.  Doesn't stop them from landing big fish.  Does it really matter? I don't feel it does

10 mins ago, Fastway Fishing said:

I am thinking about buying a pack of the smallest version of these to tryout for a season in the freshwater, think it would be worth it?

For small baits and hooks go with mustad fastach clips over TA clips.

For medium sized swimbaits i'll use 50lb TA clips.  (6" gantarels, spro rats and such)

I clip absolutely everything that I can.  From lucky craft little snakies to big swimbaits and saltwater plugs.

For FW i've used pretty much every clip and have settled on the fastach clips in size 0 and 1.   (i've used the normans, spros, decoys, bla bla bla etc...and while i don't like mustad for much....I really like that clip.  

And For stripers I use 75lb or 125 TA clips

2 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

For medium sized swimbaits i'll use 50lb TA clips.  (6" gantarels, spro rats and such)

I clip absolutely everything that I can.  From lucky craft little snakies to big swimbaits and saltwater plugs.

For FW i've used pretty much every clip and have settled on the fastach clips in size 0 and 1.   (i've used the normans, spros, decoys, bla bla bla etc...and while i don't like mustad for much....I really like that clip.  

And For stripers I use 75lb or 125 TA clips

Nice, thanks for the info, I am looking into the Mustard Clips now, do you think it would be a advantage to even use them when I am fishing with down lines, with a barrel swivel and a leader?  Where would be the best place on the line to use them in those situations?

7 hours ago, MoreLunkers said:

i have found myself changing lures every 20 minutes if i don’t get any hits.. Is this normal?

There is at least one school of thought that if you don't get any hits in 20 minutes- it's time to move to a different spot. I guess it depends on what you know or want to learn about the spot.

I don't think it is unusual to change lures that often. I generally work all levels of the water column when I'm in search mode, so I would change lures more often than every 20 minutes until I figured out what-if anything- was working at that spot.

I will chime in with one con .... fish can unclip your plug while hooked up ... so far in over 10 plus years using that style clip and thousands and thousands of fish on them it has happened to me twice... once a gorilla jumped and shook and watch him unclip a bucktail  in mid air ... next was a real heart break .. all alone on a jetty late night slaying fish on my mojo darter ... literally was only thing they would take ... first had  fish number like 20 that night rip the belly swivle out so I took it off went through the bag and couldnt get a sniff... said eff it and put back on and first cast hooked up and thought it broke me off ... come back with clip but no plug .. was soooooo pissed I screamed so loud on that jetty lol almost walked the 5 mile round trip at 3 am to go get another darter from the car ... with all that said I still use them out of pure laziness lolll I'd trust a good knot way more but hey the clips are easy and was only like a 2 in 10,000 chance so 

I use the medium sized TA clips (75 lbs?) They're great but I find them difficult to use with bucktails, worm /swimbait hooks, and some plugs with concave heads. The wire diameter is too large for some small lures, not sure about the smaller size.

Pro: More convenient than knots or split ringt + swivel

Con: Not as strong as knots or split ring + swivel and not that much faster

also, like others have said you might have to change out the size if you are fishing different sized lures to make them swim well

T/A......best clip I ever used(style of clip)......so easy to change out plugs,bucktails,lures whatever.......would never go back the old style Duolocks,etc........

I change frequently too if what I decide to start fishing isn't working. TAs are great 95% of the time. I mostly use the 75lb. ones, got some the next size up (125?) to deal with certain lures. The only con is sometimes you will encounter issues with some plugs and some bucktails. With certain poppers, especially smaller early-season ones, you will have a hard getting the clip to attach to the loop on the lure. Too recessed in the cup of the mouth to easily clip on. I add split rings to those very few that have this issue. With bucktails its usually the paint on the jig head will make the diameter on the loop too small to pass the clip through. For that I usually take the split ring beak thing on my pliers and crack the paint off the loop. I should be tying the bucktails direct anyway...

19 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

I will chime in with one con .... fish can unclip your plug while hooked up ... so far in over 10 plus years using that style clip and thousands and thousands of fish on them it has happened to me twice... once a gorilla jumped and shook and watch him unclip a bucktail  in mid air ... next was a real heart break .. all alone on a jetty late night slaying fish on my mojo darter ... literally was only thing they would take ... first had  fish number like 20 that night rip the belly swivle out so I took it off went through the bag and couldnt get a sniff... said eff it and put back on and first cast hooked up and thought it broke me off ... come back with clip but no plug .. was soooooo pissed I screamed so loud on that jetty lol almost walked the 5 mile round trip at 3 am to go get another darter from the car ... with all that said I still use them out of pure laziness lolll I'd trust a good knot way more but hey the clips are easy and was only like a 2 in 10,000 chance so 

lol the one that got away.....

On 6/10/2018 at 2:11 AM, scoobydoo said:

Have you compared the fastach clips to Duo Lock Snaps?

I use the Duos for freshwater and small, saltwater lures. The only problems I've had with the Duos have been user error, when I don't make sure I closed the darn things, which I do once in a blue moon because when I'm wearing my contacts during low light, sometimes it's hard to see if I closed it correctly.