NJTramcar

Mayo as a moisturizer in baking?

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, NJTramcar said:

Thanks Eric, that is good to know.  I thought all yogurt was basically the same but I see now it's not.

Not even close. It is like saying all fishing reels are the same.

Example.. Yoplait Greek is some horrible stuff where they do not authentically strain it to create that thickness. Chobani has excellent marketing but their product is so sour. Fage is good stuff.

10 hours ago, EricJ said:

Hey guys, just seeing this. I have the unique ability to weigh in heavily on this topic. My culinary agency tested 12 different yogurts in various baking recipes and they are not all the same. First, the two top benefits are that the final product will be more moist and it can also have a little but longer shelf life. Secondarily are the benefits of using something that may be a little healthier than the alternative.  

Now, to the yogurts. If you want to use Greek yogurt, the recommendation is to use Oikos Plain Greek yogurt. It stands up to heat and it is the least sour of them all which means it does not alter the taste of your recipe.  That being said, the yogurt that performed the best of ALL brands and products tested was the Dannon Traditional (non greek) plain yogurt. All yogurts are not the same. The testing was eye opening. 12 different muffins for example all made with different yogurt. Some did not even rise. Huge differences between them all.

I will be trying me hand at baking again, next time with the Oikos and not the generic stuff I bought when I was in Aldis. 

On 6/14/2018 at 11:37 AM, NJTramcar said:

Has anyone else heard of this?

Yes. The egg is supposed to make it better than just adding oil alone as the egg acts as a binder keeping the oil mixed throughout the batter. Otherwise, oils have a tendency to settle to the bottom during the baking period . Does not impact taste in any way that I have found.

GF baking it tough without the long gluten protein strands to provide texture, body and to hold in moisture. 

On 6/22/2018 at 10:18 AM, fishless said:

Just threw in my first attempt at brownies with greek yogurt into the oven. Will share the results.  

Hi fishless

How did your brownies turn out?

Cheers MickAff 

1 hour ago, MickAff said:

Hi fishless

How did your brownies turn out?

Cheers MickAff 

Sorry, forgot to report.  It came out pretty good.  The moisture was there but the flavor was just slightly different.  Nothing that would prevent me from going back for a 2nd piece but I am interested in trying this again with the yogurt EricJ recommended. 

I  mix mayo with dill and lemon juice then cover a fish fillet with it...Usually salmon..Quarter of an inch coat...Then put it in the bbq on a cedar plank, indirect heat...Yummy.

^..^

The first thing that comes to mind is parmesan encrusted chicken. Mayo and parmesan cheese mixed then lathered on pounded chicken breast and baked. Mayo does keep it moist, so yes.