NJTramcar

Mayo as a moisturizer in baking?

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

I was trying some new gluten free recipes for my son and they seem a bit dry.  Someone told me to add mayonnaise when baking and it helps keep it moist.

1. it sees that this may be true but can you do this with all baking

2. how much is enough

3. does it change the taste?

Not sure how far I’d go as to with all baking, but with crabcakes and fishcakes it does well. I think it adds a creaminess to the dish, almost like adding a small dollop of daisy to it. Just checked my crabcake recipe and it looks like it’s about 1/8th total content. Good luck with your findings and I hope to hear about your results 

If you are going to use mayo you could also add an egg and tablespoon of your choice of oil.  That is the base of mayonnaise. It is an emulsion of the two 

There is an eggplant recipe I use mayo to coat the peeled and sliced eggplant and then roll it in a combination of Panko breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. So is it a moisterizer I'd like to think so as well as a binder. 

Mayo is mostly oil so you're effectively just adding oil to the recipe

Rather than use commercial mayo with it's cheap trash oil, use a bit of good oil or butter

How much depends on what you're making, start with a teaspoon and go up from there

Mayo is fluffy oil, add body and moisture.  Tones of cake recipe out there that use mayo. Don't try too hard on gluten free imitations. Your son will learn to appreciate other tasty stuff that's naturally gluten free. Out of sight, out of mind. Does you son have problem with dairy products? If not, all those ice cream variations should cure the sweet tooth. 

This is the backbone of Nana Jeans baked haddock.

mayo, bread crumbs, thin lemon and that's it.

been feeding me that for about a month strait and

I love it.

4 hours ago, hobobob said:

Mayo is fluffy oil, add body and moisture.  Tones of cake recipe out there that use mayo. Don't try too hard on gluten free imitations. Your son will learn to appreciate other tasty stuff that's naturally gluten free. Out of sight, out of mind. Does you son have problem with dairy products? If not, all those ice cream variations should cure the sweet tooth. 

No dairy issues, just gluten issues.

Posted (edited) · Report post

21 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Mayo is mostly oil so you're effectively just adding oil to the recipe

Rather than use commercial mayo with it's cheap trash oil, use a bit of good oil or butter

I dont give a damn what they put in Dukes Mayo.

Thats what I will continue to buy and use for cooking.

Edited by DaBig2na

12 hours ago, NJTramcar said:

Desserts such as cake or cookies.

Yes, a big spoon of Mayo added to brownie batter or cake batter adds a very noticable amount of moisture to the finished product. My wife has not made a cake or Brownies in the 26 years we have been together without the spoonful of mayo.