Kenny Powers

Cunner

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Yes, they, like tautog, are wrasses and taste very much the same.  Make nice fried fillets and chowders.  I always keep ones that are "big enough" to fillet easily.

Take a sheet of parchment paper or foil, add a fillet, some fresh veggies cut thin ie:  zucchini, asparagus, shrooms, fresh spinach, grape or cherry tomatoes, basically whatever you like and is fairly mild and will cook quickly.  Add a squeeze of lemon, a little butter or olive oil, salt pepper, even a small piece of feta is nice if you are using tomatoes and spinach.  Fold your parchment or foil to seal it and throw it on the grill (foil packet) or in the oven at 350 for about 30-40 min.

Nice that sounds good! I used to catch some pretty big one in Cape E while fishing for bass. I’ve actually got one on an SP minnow believe it or not lol. Gonna have to try it. 

1 hour ago, Bmackerel said:

Nice that sounds good! I used to catch some pretty big one in Cape E while fishing for bass. I’ve actually got one on an SP minnow believe it or not lol. Gonna have to try it. 

I catch them in Maine on diamond jigs, and a buddy of mine once caught a tog on a Redfin while bass fishing!!

Ha! Ya I was amazed it got the hook on the SP considering how small their mouths are. Are cunner in shore this time of year? If my afternoon frees up I might give it a try

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, Bmackerel said:

Ha! Ya I was amazed it got the hook on the SP considering how small their mouths are. Are cunner in shore this time of year? If my afternoon frees up I might give it a try

I’ve had good luck for cunner and Harbor pollack at Two Lights this time of year, small hook tipped with clam on a high low rig, bounce around rock to rock, once ya find em ya won’t be able to stop catching them 

Edited by OOB Fisherman

P.S. Dont be afraid to vertical jig straight down at varying depths, especially for cunner as they like to hide out in cracks and crevices close to the rocks.......as soon as ya put bait in front of em they’re all over it!!!

Just curious, has anyone ever been bit by a cunner? They seem like they would bite and it wouldn't be pleasant. I got my finger in the mouth and a snapper blue the first time I've caught them and learned you really need pliers for those guys.

Mike