wtfooptimax200

Siwash vs Inline Hook

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Sorry for all of the newbie questions lately, but I'm just trying to get all of my ducks in a row.  I've purchased a couple plugs on a recent trip down to the beach and am wondering how to select tail hook replacements.  I do not want to run trebles on the tail.  My options are siwash or inline singles.

Are the siwashs only used when running on through wire lure that doesn't have a split ring attachment or am I missing another application?

Also, I hear that some of the VMCs are less than desirable.  What's your favorite siwash?

Is there a proper way to close the eye of the hook or is it just grab/close with heavy pliers?

What's your favorite dressed siwash to purchase?

Thanks!!!

Get the inline hooks, the eye on those is in the same plane as the hook, so when you attach them to the rear with a split ring, they ride vertically up and down (on most plugs). Siwash hooks usually have the plan of the eye 90 degrees tonthebplane of the hook, so that ride sideways in the rear position.

Secondly, the eyes on the in-lines are usually a little larger than a similar size siwash and don’t bind on the split ring. This has been an issue for me with Siwash hooks.

i use both owner and VMC and don’t notice a whole lot of difference in actual use. My local tackle store has the VMCs so I probably tend to use those the most.

For plugs that swim, I like in-lines. For topwater lures I stick with trebles.

2 hours ago, FatTailWagging said:

Get the inline hooks, the eye on those is in the same plane as the hook, so when you attach them to the rear with a split ring, they ride vertically up and down (on most plugs). Siwash hooks usually have the plan of the eye 90 degrees to the plane of the hook, so that ride sideways in the rear position.

Another option: It is pretty simple to twist the shaft of a Siwash to line the eye with the bend of the hook.  To avoid fatiguing the metal, make the twist over the length of the shaft and not just beneath the eye.  I use a small vise to grip the bend of the hook and parallel jaw pliers to grip the eye.  Vice grips would work as well.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Siwash all the way for me .. large .. I believe I normally run 5/0 ... specially when big blues around..  watch a lot of guys digging trebles out of big fishes gills  when they sucking them down like speggeti .. . taking a lot of time unhooking and doing much damage to fish .. with the single rear hook quick pop it out and back in the game while they still messing with thier Fish .. and when that siwash gets them  in the jaw they don’t let go .. really works well for me ..

And yea just a pair linesman pliers or even Chanel locks and just squeeze the open eye closed .. 

Edited by Wire For Fire

I replaced a bunch of tail hooks on plugs with Mustad Kaiju inline 5/0 hooks last year. They haven't given me any problems and they seem to not rust as bad as the VMC Siwash hooks. 

19 hours ago, FatTailWagging said:

Get the inline hooks, the eye on those is in the same plane as the hook, so when you attach them to the rear with a split ring, they ride vertically up and down (on most plugs). Siwash hooks usually have the plan of the eye 90 degrees tonthebplane of the hook, so that ride sideways in the rear position.

Use 2 split rings. Or twist the rear wire loop if it's a wood plug. 

On 6/8/2018 at 10:31 PM, BuckMarley said:

I replaced a bunch of tail hooks on plugs with Mustad Kaiju inline 5/0 hooks last year. They haven't given me any problems and they seem to not rust as bad as the VMC Siwash hooks. 

Same here, great hooks

Posted (edited) · Report post

For the tail hook/rear is anyone using a 5/0 inline hook facing down? Does that have any effect on hooking and landing the fish? The reason I ask is that I am concerned about the striped bass population. Any help would be appreciated as I am planning to order replacement hooks. 

Edited by MAGA

14 mins ago, MAGA said:

For the tail hook/rear is anyone using a 5/0 inline hook facing down? Does that have any effect on hooking and landing the fish? The reason I ask is that I am concerned about the striped bass population. Any help would be appreciated as I am planning on ordering replacement hooks. 

I find around 95% of striped bass I catch on plugs have the belly hook as the one that caught them. If I attached the tail hook (Siwash or inline) point down it will also be embedded into the fish 80% of the time. Sometimes it's buried, other times it's not past the barb, but usually it's sticking someplace into the fish before I start the release process.

When I attach the rear single hook with the point facing up, I've seen that it embeds into the fish much less often, especially on larger plugs.

While I am no expert and the numbers above are estimates, I do build my own plugs. So, I both think about hook arrangements and have the materials on hand to experiment more than most. The only detriment I see with the rear hook having the point facing up is that you might miss some small 'non-committing' fish.

4 hours ago, hobobob said:

You know those pesky free hook protectors that come with every new plug? Use it. 

Window screen spline works too. I’ve seen a lot of plug builders use it for hook protectors. 

I go siwash on the back. 6/0 on larger plugs, 5/0 on smaller. No split rings crimped to the wire with the eye twisted so the hook is down.

I prefer Mustads over VMC’s but that is just a personal preference. I dress my own hooks in a vice.

Most bass take the belly hook but blues like the rear. Sometimes both

76EBC33A-280B-43DA-A919-FED4E403A845.jpeg

I was thinking about this thread today driving around and was wondering if anyone has tried an inline mounted sideways? 

On a spoon or tin, I always use a siwash pointed up. But sometimes a small fish will get brained and die. If I go point down, I snag when I go slow.  So why not sideways??