North of Portland 2018

Rate this topic

4 hours ago, G1Fishg said:

Kayak fishing using T&W rig will out fish any boat with the same rig, I have proved that many times over...

Not necessarily, Before I got hooked on chasing striped bass in a kayak I caught (and released) a heck of a lot of those fish dragging tube T&W rigs behind motor boats. A large number of those motor boat / T&W caught fish came out of the skinny water I'm fishing now. It mostly involves a  somewhat different trolling technique with the T&W rigs towed a lot further behind the boat.

While the prospect of catching fish isn’t the only reason I love being on the water, it is one of the best excuses I have for continuing to go there.

I’ve got some POGY in my livewell and I’m taking my boat to some freshwater to see if I can catch a LUNKER. I want to catch a largemouth bass or a northern pike. I’ve got enough gas in my truck to get to SEBAGO but open to other ideas. 

I love Camp ellis so close to everything !!!

Where should I use pogy to catch a lunker? I will go for striper or tuna if that’s best. If you are out and want to join don’t be afraid to holler at me bros and gals !!!

9 hours ago, Mousam said:

I’ve got some POGY in my livewell and I’m taking my boat to some freshwater to see if I can catch a LUNKER. 

Mousam

Your posting is somewhat confusing.

If your thinking about using pogy as bait in Maine freshwater don't do it.

The following are the only fish species that may be used as bait (dead or alive) for fishing in inland waters of Maine:

• Common Shiner
  • Golden Shiner
  • Blacknose Dace
  • Finescale Dace
  • Northern Redbelly Dace
  • Pearl Dace
  • Creek Chub
  • Lake Chub
  • Eastern Silvery Minnow
  • Fathead Minnow
  • Fallfish
  • Smelt
  • Longnose Sucker
  • White Sucker
  • Banded Killifish
  • Mummichog
  • American Eel

The fines are pretty stiff if you use any thing else and all it would take is being caught on inland water with pogies in your live-well to get ticked.

While the prospect of catching fish isn’t the only reason I love being on the water, it is one of the best excuses I have for continuing to go there.

4 hours ago, Crozzbow said:

Mousam

Your posting is somewhat confusing.

If your thinking about using pogy as bait in Maine freshwater don't do it.

The following are the only fish species that may be used as bait (dead or alive) for fishing in inland waters of Maine:

• Common Shiner
  • Golden Shiner
  • Blacknose Dace
  • Finescale Dace
  • Northern Redbelly Dace
  • Pearl Dace
  • Creek Chub
  • Lake Chub
  • Eastern Silvery Minnow
  • Fathead Minnow
  • Fallfish
  • Smelt
  • Longnose Sucker
  • White Sucker
  • Banded Killifish
  • Mummichog
  • American Eel

The fines are pretty stiff if you use any thing else and all it would take is being caught on inland water with pogies in your live-well to get ticked.

Yeeeesh !!! Thank you I need to pick better wording !!! I meant fresh water like a new place. 

I ended up fishless. This isn’t a spot burn I went to Pine Point and all I caught was a free parking spot :own:

I did see a sturgeon jump straight out of the water. They must have some serious muscles !!!

3 hours ago, Mousam said:

I did see a sturgeon jump straight out of the water. They must have some serious muscles !!!

Yeah... The Kennebec River is loaded with sturgeon.

Every once in a while I unintentionally hook into one while fly fishing for striped bass.

When ever I hook up with a sturgeon I try my best to quickly bring them in close enough for me to unhook and release them after I;m sure they have rested long enough to remain upright when I let them go.

The largest sturgeon that I hooked up with measured couple of inches shy of three feet in length. When I hooked into that fish I was lucky enough to be using my 10 wt fly rod when it hit. I was able to muscle it in rather quickly and release unharmed.

I have hooked up with enough sturgeon over the years to know that they have plenty enough muscle to strip a lot of line off a fly reel in very short time. Those lessons were reinforced when shortly after hooking up with the quasi three footer, another monster of a sturgeon decided it liked the looks of the deceiver fly that I had been offering to the striped bass. In a matter of seconds that sturgeon sucked in the deceiver, jumped out of the water five feet in front of me, then headed for parts unknown with my two week old, 60 dollar,10 wt floating saltwater fly line. I cranked down on the fly reel drag as much as I dared and tried my best to turn the fish to the left or the right.  Unfortunately, there was no stopping that train. The pop that came when the last of my 40 lb. backing parted from the 10 wt reel sounded like a gunshot in my ears.

Now, that is some serious muscle.

Has anybody else out there in SOL land had an interesting encounter (or two) with sturgeon while fishing for striped bass ???

5 hours ago, Crozzbow said:

Yeah... The Kennebec River is loaded with sturgeon.

Every once in a while I unintentionally hook into one while fly fishing for striped bass.

When ever I hook up with a sturgeon I try my best to quickly bring them in close enough for me to unhook and release them after I;m sure they have rested long enough to remain upright when I let them go.

The largest sturgeon that I hooked up with measured couple of inches shy of three feet in length. When I hooked into that fish I was lucky enough to be using my 10 wt fly rod when it hit. I was able to muscle it in rather quickly and release unharmed.

I have hooked up with enough sturgeon over the years to know that they have plenty enough muscle to strip a lot of line off a fly reel in very short time. Those lessons were reinforced when shortly after hooking up with the quasi three footer, another monster of a sturgeon decided it liked the looks of the deceiver fly that I had been offering to the striped bass. In a matter of seconds that sturgeon sucked in the deceiver, jumped out of the water five feet in front of me, then headed for parts unknown with my two week old, 60 dollar,10 wt floating saltwater fly line. I cranked down on the fly reel drag as much as I dared and tried my best to turn the fish to the left or the right.  Unfortunately, there was no stopping that train. The pop that came when the last of my 40 lb. backing parted from the 10 wt reel sounded like a gunshot in my ears.

Now, that is some serious muscle.

Has anybody else out there in SOL land had an interesting encounter (or two) with sturgeon while fishing for striped bass ???

Crozzbow, enjoy reading your posts, your writings with the detail and descriptions almost make me think I’m trolling the T and W right along side of ya. Bet you’d be great at narrating a Nat Geo episode.

Edited by MichiMainah

1 hour ago, MichiMainah said:

Crozzbow, enjoy reading your posts, your writings with the detail and descriptions almost make me think I’m trolling the T and W right along side of ya. Bet you’d be great at narrating a Nat Geo episode.

Yes !!! 

I would read Crozzbow even if he was narrating my wedding night including the more private moments !!! 

As for sturgeon I recently saw an Atlantic Fremple jump straight out of the water JUST BEFORE seeing a sturgeon come clear out of the river. This isn’t a spot burn but part of why I love Camp Ellis !!! I still have not hooked a Fremple and I hope never to cross paths with the sturgeon we are all working so hard to protect. 

Now I wish I knew what a sturgeon mating call sounds like !!!

9 hours ago, Mousam said:

As for sturgeon I recently saw an Atlantic Fremple jump straight out of the water JUST BEFORE seeing a sturgeon come clear out of the river.

Mousam

Okay I'll bite. What the heck is an Atlantic Fremple ???:hooked:

1 hour ago, Crozzbow said:

Mousam

OY, you had to encourage him???

Shall I go to heaven or a-fishing? - H. D. Thoreau

Veni.  Vidi.  Cepi. - with apologies to Gaius Julius Caesar

2 hours ago, Crozzbow said:

Mousam

Fremple is what my grandpa taught me is the local name for brown trout where he grew up. I started throwing the “Atlantic” on there instead of saying SEARUN. As you might guess from my user handle name I have a soft spot for browns AKA Fremple. That’s not a spot burn just saying there is some prime Fremple water in the Mousam and some other waters around here. Still don’t know what gets them jumping like that !!!

1 hour ago, Mousam said:

Still don’t know what gets them jumping like that !!!

Mousam

Most likely an insect hatch.

Believe it or not the largest brown trout I ever caught in Maine was a rather fat 25 inch fish. It came out of a small pond located several miles from Portland. It took a blue and silver speedy shiner that I was trolling deep behind the first kayak I ever owned. I wanted to release it back into the pond but, the water was too warm that day causing this magnificent fish to expire as a result  of our battle. I spent almost a half hour trying to revive it with out success. However, It wasn't a total loss. We honored it at that night's supper table on a bed of steamed rice. That is just one of the many "Fremples" that I have battled with over the years.

Thanks for sharing your grampa's name for them with me and the SOL community.

Hey @Crozzbow, I'm curious - do you alter your tube and worm technique for night time fishing? I was out on July 3rd. I used the same setup at about the same stage of the tide and in the same location, but in the evening. While I still did well with about 15 fish, they weren't biting as reliably as they had been on the previous outing in the morning. I got most of them while there was still some light. I was also marking what seemed to be some good-sized fish but never had a hit when I did. I tried a Santini tube which has a built-in weight, but didn't get a single bite on it (there was a lot of shallow water so I got tired of it hitting the weeds pretty quickly).

Another strange thing I noticed - the GPS on my fishfinder was much less reliable, giving me a bunch of false readings (for example jumping from 1.5 to 6 mph in an instant), which, combined with not being able to see as well, made it hard to keep a steady speed. Not sure if that was due to it being night or something else.

15 mins ago, drmevo said:

I'm curious - do you alter your tube and worm technique for night time fishing?

drmevo

To be truthful, I haven't done a heck of a lot of night fishing out of the kayak. However, I have done a lot of early "before first light" fishing. During that time period I tend to catch more fish when I'm trolling the T&W rigs closer to the surface. They seem hit more often when I'm paying out line or when I bring the T&W jigs a little closer to the yak. It may be a case where the striped bass are looking up for their meals that move through the water rather than down. If you go out at night again give that theory a try and see if you do any better.

As far as speed changes on your GPS it is probably some kind of interference issue with the satellite. The internal antenna in your GPS points up not down.If the antenna is having any trouble seeing through anything between it and the satellite it will act up as you described.

Are you trolling a lot closer to the shore line at night versus day. If so that may be your problem.

If your GPS allows you to monitor you Lat and Long values watch the changes in those values as you moving around to see if the changes are some what smooth and not locking up or dropping out. 

45 mins ago, StriperSurg said:

Have caught, or have done battle with way too many of those Diamondbacks. I try to avoid them at all costs.

Surg.

Okay I'll bite on this one as well.

The only Diamondbacks that I know of slither around on their belly in the desert.

What Diamondbacks are you referring to and why do you want to avoid them ???