Seals...

Rate this topic

DZ

Hey hey, easy on the tree huggers. Out here on block most seal lovers hug the famed Bayberry bush, or an occasional weed plant. Was thinking those seals would probably love some antifreeze marinated bunker. Can hand feed them from the kayak. 

On 6/28/2018 at 9:57 PM, Capt.Castafly said:

There are escape in some of these laws. You have the right to protect your land, animals, and crops from damage and doing economic plight.  

AFAIK there are no "escapes" in the Federal marine mammal protection act. Congress had to pass a new law to allow some western states and indian tribes to kill sea lions that are killing endangered salmon and steelhead in the Bonneville river.

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

There had to be at least 20 seals at the point of North Light late Sunday afternoon.

There numbers seem to be increasing at that location.

IMG_6987.jpg

IMG_6979.jpg

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek

I think i seen one at Southwest Ledge area . It could have been one of the many Balloons that Block Island visitors/people release thinking they will end up on Mars and not in the ocean :mad:

Edited by whitey

Top Drawer Sport fishing " We Put Everything Into It "

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2018 at 9:23 AM, whitey said:

I think i seen one at Southwest Ledge area . It could have been one of the many Balloons that Block Island visitors/people release thinking they will end up on Mars and not in the ocean :mad:

Most of those balloons are from LI.

On 6/27/2018 at 4:50 PM, Capt.Castafly said:

Islander's should harass the seals enough to make it uncomfortable for them.

Perhaps doing it enough will make them move off the island.

Once they establish a colony there and reproduce, it will be all over.

I saw a bunch of pups in June. I think its too late...

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone who has posted above might want to google the Seal Abatement Coalition which originates from Nantucket. So much effort has been put forth from dedicated Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard and Chatham fishermen and clubs to try to remove seals from the Mammal Protection Act, because, as we all know, the seals no longer need the protection that they needed years ago and, as a result, have reproduced in great numbers (2,000 pups a year on Nantucket!), which affect not only fishing, both from shore and boats, but tourists wanting to enjoy swimming on Nantucket, MV and Chatham/Cape beaches w/o harrassment from the seals who swim within just feet of the shoreline.

The seals attract sharks and it goes on and on. Three years ago, we fished from shore on Nantucket for albies for two weeks. The seals were there at daybreak just watching for any hooked fish that they could take from our lines. So many fish were eaten by the seals. On one morning, we witnessed 20 albie hookups and 20 albies lost to seals. It's pretty depressing. 

The seals eat 40# of fish a day, haul out on our beaches and stink them up, foul them up as well as fouling the water, and, yet, nothing is done because of the islanders who think they're "Cute" and bring in money for the seal boat tours. 

The Seal Abatement Coalition is headed in the right direction, not wanting to kill or shoot the seals but just be "allowed" to discourage them by using personal contact, eye to eye contact, loud noises, etc. Read up about it. It's a wonderful effort being put forth by the SAC in Nantucket to revise the Mammal Protection Act. I'm fully behind it.

On 6/22/2018 at 7:59 AM, Capt.Castafly said:

I seen that too.

Better do something now, before it gets out of hand like the Cape.

Not only out of hand like the Cape but how about Montauk, the premium fishing spot? Seals are there, too. If they reproduce like they have on the Cape, Montauk will be Deadsville for fishing. Something needs to be done right now before Montauk and other prime locations fall to the same scene as Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard and Chatham on the Cape. 

Edited by flysully
spelling