Mlugris

How to find fish surfcasting

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

I'm all about moving, but this past Saturday is a perfect example of staying put.

2 weeks ago I was destroying at a spot, returned and nada.. walked the beach 1/2 mile to where the gathering of folks were and they just finished knocking them dead.

Worked my way back to my original spot and a new gathering had formed and they just finished knocking em dead.

Clearly schools were roving the beach and I was just missing them.

Go to You Tube. Ring up Rich Troxler and watch his videos on reading the beach. Organized, methodical and great info. He used to be a Long Island guy, now living in Virginia. Surprised no one mentioned him.

Agreed....but fishing an inlet or a back bay the Trox videos are a bit more complicated than open surf and readin wave breaks, points, bars etc.

Still the Trox videos are awesome... can't believe they were uploaded for free - that guy could have infomercialized a 3 DVD set and sold that info.  A true brother of the sport.

Keep em tight

On 6/13/2018 at 7:38 PM, JoeGBreezy said:

Go to You Tube. Ring up Rich Troxler and watch his videos on reading the beach. Organized, methodical and great info. He used to be a Long Island guy, now living in Virginia. Surprised no one mentioned him.

18 hours ago, baldadonis2002 said:

Agreed....but fishing an inlet or a back bay the Trox videos are a bit more complicated than open surf and readin wave breaks, points, bars etc.

Still the Trox videos are awesome... can't believe they were uploaded for free - that guy could have infomercialized a 3 DVD set and sold that info.  A true brother of the sport.

Keep em tight

I'm still determined to get a copy of his logs! :read:

Leather,

I'll bring the chloroform ,  you bring the rag for his mouth.

@Rich - if your reading this... don't worry, we will have you back in time for dinner!

Enjoy

Nautical chart maps with updated soundings can help you read the beach a bit. Don't be afraid to make curiosity casts in spots that look dead as Dillinger. You may find a pocket of cruising fish that are obscured by waves. 

Bird reading can help greatly. If they are circling, diving, what species of bird is on bait, gulls landing to pick up surface scraps. Even one gull can tell you if there's fish or bait off a beach lip.

Lotta great advice (and jokes) already in this thread.  Keep a log to better dial in your own spots/baits and which produce the best when.  John Skinner and others in this post have said find a few spots and fish them hard to know them really well.  This helped me find my own bigger fish over lots of fish when say another more popular spot was hot on the internet or word of mouth. 

My log helped me really hone in on my best baits and times of days to be in a certain place after just a handful of trips and have only gotten better with time.  Soaking bait will also help reveal if big fish are in your area when lures may not...

Have to admit that the past 2 years I have been military strict keeping a log ..before that ..SMH , not so much.

Patterns definitely start to jump off the page, especially if  as hairy says above you fish the same areas hard, you learn them well.

Only challenge that I think needs to be accounted for is the climate shift  ( which is real ).

Last year I was still catching fluke in the middle of October on the south shore from (shore fishing..not by boat ) because we had unseasonably warm weather hanging around - I would be foolish to put that in my log as that never happened before and likely will not happy again.

Blue's arrived late this year to the south shore ( in my opinion ) compared to last year as well despite what my logs say.

Fluke seem smaller from shore this year, though still early in the season.

I think this is all about weather.

One thing I do... especially this time of year when bass in the surf sucks... I go out, no fishing rod, and walk a few beaches during bright sun, peak low tide, when it's easy to see everything... then I GPS the exact 5ft by 5ft areas to stand that I like... deep holes, cuts in sandbars, and I mark my GPS beaches for which I feel would be better at high tide, low tide, strong wind for a east or west sweep, etc... Then when the fall rolls around, and I'm ready to take things seriously and spend my nights soaking bunker heads and whatnot, I have all my areas ready to go. This serves me very well.

Posted (edited) · Report post

The other day I walked the inlet at high and was shocked to see how many cocktail blue schools were dead up against the beach frolicking in the lip ....talking 1 foot of water in clear visibile site , until you walk up on them and they scram.

Starting tossing parallel to the beach in the lip and nada.. they were not feeding.

Not  a soul for the 2 mile stretch was catching blues.

I use the term "frolicking" because I cannot figure out what these fools were doing ???

Edited by baldadonis2002

On 6/7/2018 at 0:42 PM, Mlugris said:

Hello everyone been out fishing my ass off north and south shore still very new managed to catch small striper and robins and more robins . How do u guys find fish while on the beaches of li in short what are u guys looking for once your boots hit the ground anything would be helpful thanks guys ! 

Start learning how to use lures.

1 hour ago, FishinDVM said:

One thing I do... especially this time of year when bass in the surf sucks... I go out, no fishing rod, and walk a few beaches during bright sun, peak low tide, when it's easy to see everything... then I GPS the exact 5ft by 5ft areas to stand that I like... deep holes, cuts in sandbars, and I mark my GPS beaches for which I feel would be better at high tide, low tide, strong wind for a east or west sweep, etc... Then when the fall rolls around, and I'm ready to take things seriously and spend my nights soaking bunker heads and whatnot, I have all my areas ready to go. This serves me very well.

and then hope a Nor'easter or hurricane doesn't sweep through and delete all that prospecting

On 6/7/2018 at 11:10 PM, achase said:

My advice if you're new. Find structure as mentioned above but find it close to home or to the area most easily accessible to you. Fish it hard on both tides with the wind that seems most beneficial. Jumping around alot will not gain you much knowledge of how any spot works. If you've picked a spot that's popular then be polite, keep your distance but watch what others are doing. You'll be sure to meet some locals who you can ask for advice but be reasonable, it's rare that someone is going to spell it out completely for you. 

Buy stuff at your local tackle shop or the shop that's closest to the area you've chosen and ask for pointers. It takes time but just stick with it and success will come. 

Read Zeno Hromin's book Surfcasting with Lures, also John Skinner's book about fishing with bucktails, I forget the title.

Use NOAA charts on-line and google maps, they're helpful. Use NOAAs tide predictions for your spots. Windfinder for wind, sometimes it'll be right...

Good luck, don't lose faith. Don't drive when you're too tired, it's not worth it.

This is good advice, I like this.  I would also say that the places you will often find small fish at certain times of the tides or time of day will hold larger fish at different tides and especially at lower light or no light, so don't give up on spots that don't have big fish when you're fishing them.  

I've been fishing 'hardcore' for about 7 years and have widdled down my spots to the point where I have about 4-6 I really rely on a lot for the incoming tide locally, and maybe 4 I like on the outgoing locally close to home.  I am always trying new spots and cycling around but the point is you don't have to a lot of spots, but just some that really work well, and you have to know the scenarios when to fish them.  

Beyond that, it really comes down to finding fast moving water, and structure.  Find the spots that have that, and then it's trial and error.  Get lucky at the times when there's a lot of bait at those spots and you'll have some really good fishing.   That last part is the hardest to predict.  Also, finding fish is a lot harder than finding what they want to eat.  You don't need a ton of lures: some swimmers, topwater, and some bucktail/soft plastic combos and you're good to go.