TheRustyBandit

Boston surfcasting locations

56 posts in this topic

I was going to ask about the lagoon too.  I've seen it referred to as the sugar bowl.  I participate in another hobby which puts me right at the sugar bowl lagoon and I can't leave, but I could bring my gear and drop a line.  I was hoping that someone with experience fishing there could tell me whether I'd catch anything.  I'm hoping that there's some landlocked blues in there or something. There are two gates where the water comes and goes with the tide, but those gates always appear to be closed so that only water can go through, and maybe small fish.  I've seen schools of silversides in the sugar bowl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Boston here as well (charlestown) - It has been the summer of skunk for me, not a single catch in this state/region. Got lucky with a schoolie in maine back in May but that's the first and last I have caught. Hope to break that streak. 

Edited by maltc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2018 at 5:45 PM, gulino12 said:

Iv also wondered if people fish fort point channel, iv never seen anyone there but seems likes good area. Have a few spots id try sometime after work(closer to barking) but was just curious if anyone has had luck there before?

 

I hit castle island last week, saw a couple guys fishing inside- does anyone ever hook up inside?  That opening is tiny, i can't belive many fish go in there. I struck out at the end t unfortunately, very weedy too. 

In my experience very few people hook up inside OR outside of the bowl. But I’ve seen guys who swear that the bowl holds decent fish at times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

interesting, appreciate the info. Surprised people even think they can get fish inside. I'v seen guys hook up out side while  iwalked around 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be going this afternoon and probably tomorrow after work as well. Behind schrafts i think but i don't really like the tides. Low right before i work (5am) and right when im getting out (3pm). Wanted to go this morning till i realized it was drizzzling and low so i said screw it and went back to sleep for another hour lol, now iv got the itch

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, FishingEnthusiast said:

Anybody up to go fishing this weekend?

Went this morning before work behind schraffts. Saw some jumps, and heard a slurp or two near me but that was it. Not even a hit. Another guy there weight and bait with scallops (havnt heard of that before but he said its effective). Lots of little baits around, pogies were there last night, splashing but i didnt see them this morning idn what t say. About to give up on that spot, skunked a few times now. Tide wasn't favorable, i caught the last 2 hours of the outgoing. Maybe i'll give it another early morning shot on an incoming

 

Anybody have any luck here? Post pogiepocalypse preferably but tbh i'm curious if anyone ever hooks up there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fished Castle Island some 15-20 or so times this season, mostly at daybreak.   Caught a few schoolies on the outflow, and one schoolie on the inflow.   Very discouraging.   There's only one youtube video of a guy catching a questionably legal fish on the inside a few years ago.  Bottom line is the place is a bit too shallow for anything appreciable to be feeding there.   I wish someone could prove me wrong.  It's a beautiful place to go before the crowds, and it's convenient.   But it's all throwbacks.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do they still throw everybody out of Pleasure Bay/sugar bowl at night? That place used to be pretty good after dark, then a few years back, you'd get rousted, and I stopped going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2018 at 10:17 PM, EchoSierra said:

I'm free to go next Friday (8/31) if anyone wants to set something up.

I might go later today/tonight. Send me an email if you are still planning to go, assuming you didn't go already:

bostonshore@discardmail.de

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Just moved to the Boston area (Medford) from the south coast.  Used to fishing the canal and surrounding beaches on the cape but have never fished around Boston.  Fishing has dried up around the south coast for a few weeks outside of some mackerel and baby bonito recently.

 

Anyone had any luck around the Boston area?  I know specific locations are discouraged but I'm looking for some help/tips without having any knowledge of the fishing spots around Boston. 

 

If anyone has any tackle recommendations, those are very appreciated as well.  I've got a bunch of tackle that is geared for the canal (Magic Swimmers, Savages, Stick Shads, etc.), but I'm always looking for new toys if they're working for other spots.  Thanks in advance for the insight!

Edited by BirdsAreWorking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, BirdsAreWorking said:

Just moved to the Boston area (Medford) from the south coast.  Used to fishing the canal and surrounding beaches on the cape but have never fished around Boston.  Fishing has dried up around the south coast for a few weeks outside of some mackerel and baby bonito recently.

 

Anyone had any luck around the Boston area?  I know specific locations are discouraged but I'm looking for some help/tips without having any knowledge of the fishing spots around Boston. 

 

If anyone has any tackle recommendations, those are very appreciated as well.  I've got a bunch of tackle that is geared for the canal (Magic Swimmers, Savages, Stick Shads, etc.), but I'm always looking for new toys if they're working for other spots.  Thanks in advance for the insight!

PM me when you get privileges 

 

In the mean time, check out the assembly area on google maps. Youll find some spots

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

21 hours ago, gulino12 said:

PM me when you get privileges 

 

In the mean time, check out the assembly area on google maps. Youll find some spots

Thank you @guilino12!  I live right across the bridge from Assembly in Medford.  Seen some guys in small boats in the Mystic River fishing but never seen any birds or action.  I'll definitely keep an eye out. Bought a 10'6" St. Croix Mojo with a Daiwa BG 5000 so I'm looking to bust it out and start breaking her in.  A friend of mine said Boston harbor is loaded with Pogies, I'm still looking for a good place to set up on shore.

 

If anyone happens to live around the south coast, there are massive amounts of peanut bunker and small baitfish loading up estuaries near Wareham.  Heard a report of a big school of schoolies coming in yesterday morning and tore the bait up for a few hours. 

 

Excited to see the first signs of the fall run!

Edited by BirdsAreWorking
Poor grammar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BirdsAreWorking said:

Thank you @guilino12!  I live right across the bridge from Assembly in Medford.  Seen some guys in small boats in the Mystic River fishing but never seen any birds or action.  I'll definitely keep an eye out. Bought a 10'6" St. Croix Mojo with a Daiwa BG 5000 so I'm looking to bust it out and start breaking her in.  A friend of mine said Boston harbor is loaded with Pogies, I'm still looking for a good place to set up on shore.

 

If anyone happens to live around the south coast, there are massive amounts of peanut bunker and small baitfish loading up estuaries near Wareham.  Heard a report of a big school of schoolies coming in yesterday morning and tore the bait up for a few hours. 

 

Excited to see the first signs of the fall run!

As do i actually, over on rivers edge dr

 

Take a drive around the back of assembly, go past the yacht club and find the dam. A few parking spots, and some good shoreline to fish. Lots of pogies there, dig back in the thread to find out about the kill off here a few months back-thousands. Lately iv been seeing smaller silver baits and possibly herring-hard to tell. Lots more in the harbor- see my previous report from 2 weeks back. I may investigate deer island this weekend, possibly castle island tonight as well 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.