Help me decide: Guy Cotten Surf Top vs. Level Six Chilko

Rate this topic

ThirstyOwl III

I know I definitely want a hood.

I was leaning towards the Grundens Sund but have decided I want tight waist that will help keep water out from below.

‘I have narrowed it down it down to the Chilko and the GC.

Anyone have the Chilko?  

If if I go Guy Cotten should I get the latex wrists? 

Thanks in advance.

(*member formerly known as 'ER31400')

Go to the big texas kayak site and get a kayak top from their sale and discontinued section. save money and get a better top

If you aren't fishing on the edge, you are probably blocking the channel.

Latex wrist cuff over neoprene anytime. Talking strictly the guy cotten 1200.  Durability goes, it's has heavier fabric, so it "appeared" to be more heavy duty in the long run. As design and feature goes, level six is light years ahead.  x2 on looking for a kayak paddle top / dry top that's on sale or clearance. I got the older level six superior touring for $150. Best money I ever spent.  My more expensive heavier guy cotten is on back up duty now.

I have a Level six/Baron semi-dry.  Great top.

Tip:  sign up for the email list.  They have a great sale twice a year I think where everything gets discounted across the board...and then you have the "Canadian discount" due to conversion, and shipping is free.  Hard to beat.

The Great Big Jig in the Sky...Shine on you crazy diamond jig.

rsz_2aa17withhook.jpg

I have the Cotten Montauk and the Sund.  If you don't want water coming up the bottom obviously the Sund is out even with a tight belt.  I like the Sund but if the bottom gets in the water at all it starts wicking water up the liner inside.  You aren't getting wet over/through your waders but it is mighty damp inside all those wet layers.

The Montauk is nice for what it is... a light, inexpensive surf top.  Neoprene wrists will never keep you 100% dry.  Not even with the added velcro on the Montauk, not with rubberbands so tight your wrists are numb, nada.  Close enough but your sleeves are getting at least a little wet.  The next gasket isn't as good as the heavier Cotten tops but it is good enough.  I've gone completely under and only got a bit wet through the next.  It was sealed enough to keep me afloat at least for a few seconds.

Another note on the Montauk is the mesh liner.  It wicks water (like the Sund) and even though you keep the water from rushing under/into your waders with the neoprene and a belt you are still borderline wet all the time.  I've spent a few hours straight in a Montauk tits deep in waves and while I didn't have any of the waves soak me the water wicking up the inside and eventually wetting our the jack made my layers underneath as damp as you can be without being "wet"...

8 hours ago, ShoreThingNJ said:

I have the Cotten Montauk and the Sund.  If you don't want water coming up the bottom obviously the Sund is out even with a tight belt.  I like the Sund but if the bottom gets in the water at all it starts wicking water up the liner inside.  You aren't getting wet over/through your waders but it is mighty damp inside all those wet layers.

The Montauk is nice for what it is... a light, inexpensive surf top.  Neoprene wrists will never keep you 100% dry.  Not even with the added velcro on the Montauk, not with rubberbands so tight your wrists are numb, nada.  Close enough but your sleeves are getting at least a little wet.  The next gasket isn't as good as the heavier Cotten tops but it is good enough.  I've gone completely under and only got a bit wet through the next.  It was sealed enough to keep me afloat at least for a few seconds.

Another note on the Montauk is the mesh liner.  It wicks water (like the Sund) and even though you keep the water from rushing under/into your waders with the neoprene and a belt you are still borderline wet all the time.  I've spent a few hours straight in a Montauk tits deep in waves and while I didn't have any of the waves soak me the water wicking up the inside and eventually wetting our the jack made my layers underneath as damp as you can be without being "wet"...

Thanks for the detailed response.  Waist and hood are biggest concern. Do you know of any tops that are fully sealed at the waist?  Would a proper dry top do the trick?

I am wondering if there is a hack like using latex tape on the inside of a jacket that works.  Maybe the latex would cling to waders.  Just thinking out loud.

Edited by ThirstyOwl III

(*member formerly known as 'ER31400')