rxx2

Surf reel recs

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Hello,

New guy here and new to surf fishing.

Enjoying it a lot! Love to get out and walk the beach.

Started last year with a Battle 3000 and an X-11 that I had laying around.

Never dropped the reel but it's got a grainy feel, guides on the X-11 are corroded.

Got a Fuego 4000LT from a buddy. He says the magseal should keep out the water and sand.

Have people found that is the case?

Thinking down the line for that next reel should this one lock up, any recs.

TIA,

Ben

Depends what you want the real to do...occasional splash and spray....or a good dunking in the salt. Look at Penn and Shimano, also Van Staal and Zeebaas for fully sealed, dunkable reels. Penn does make some reels that are dunkable as long as you pack them full of grease the 706Z and 704Z. Lots of options out there, you will have to do some research to see what fits your needs.

How about some recs for a disposable reel? Anyone use a cheap reel until you can't stand the grinding any longer and just toss it?

If you don't already do so you should consider spraying off your gear with water after fishing the salt.  I do the same for the Bay. You don't want to douse the reel, just tighten down the drag, mist, and dry.  Pop the spool and air dry.  Add a few drops of oil here and there to the reel.  If you take care of your gear it should generally last for quite some time,with normal wear and tear  - unless you're dunking a reel not designed to be dunked.  The Daiwa BG is relatively inexpensive, and is looked favorably upon by many SOLers.   Old Penn greenies, or the newer black and gold, are solid workhorses.  Keep quality reels out of the salt water, and off the sand, and you should be good to go. 

Thank you for your thoughts tascaso and Paladin.

It'll just get occasional splash and spray.

I do spray off the rod and reel after a trip. I don't pop the spool or dry it off, just let it air dry.

The thing that concerns me is that I've never dropped the reel in the sand and am careful not to set it down in the sand and yet after less than 15 outings, it has started to feel a little rough when reeling in, like there is some sand in there somewhere. I haven't opened it up to see what the problem may be and likely won't.

I've tried to do as much searching as I can here on SOL before I joined. I've gotten to the point where down the road, do I plan on getting a sealed reel like Van Staal, ZeeBass, Stella SW or Penn Torque. Are these really sealed and can I just rinse them and know I'll be good to go? Or am I spending big money and it' still a crap shoot whether sand is going to get in?

A buddy told me the sand around here is just too fine and will ruin any reel and to get something disposable that you'll plan on tossing and getting a new one when it takes a dump.

I guess there is a lot of middle ground. I'm one who will do little of my own maintenance, just don't have the know how or time.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I tell everyone to start with a Penn 706 spooled with 20# original Fireline on a medium action 10' (+/-) rod rated 1 to 4 oz --- the 10' 6" St Croix Mojo or the Lami XS101MS would be very good choices 

Get the rod and reel used in good shape if possible, the BST forum here is the perfect place for that.

Very very dependable, repairable, and very fishable - It's a setup that will do just about anything from NJ beaches to swimming to rocks in Montauk.

Someday down the line you may really get into it and start upgrading to the premier gear, the VS reels, ZeeBaas, Penn Torque, ........ Century Rods, Loomis rods, Fiberstar rods (there are lots of rods to choose from)..... but you'll always be happy with, and be able to count on that first setup as a backup.

Edited by Sudsy

And even the most mechanically inept fisherman can maintain and repair a 706

Fine sand, no issue, You've packed the reel with grease so the sand can't get inside, you'll just get some under the rotor now and again. Just stick the reel under the water and crank the sand out. 

That's one of the reasons for having the reel machined to look like a VS, allows the sand to get out (do a site search for VanPenn

Good suggestions by Sudsy and Paladin. The 704 and 706 Penns are big reels however. While there are a number of guys using these, I would say that I see more reels in the 4500 to 5500 range on the beach.

I use a SSV 4500 on my 9’ rod and have used it in a pinch on my 10’6” rod.   My usual set up on that one is a Shimano Ultegra 5500.  I may get a more sealed reel for this rod and my choice would either be a Saragossa in either 6000 or 8000 or a 5500 Penn Slammer.

There is a pinned thread in this forum about rod & reel set ups, it’s full of great information.

I am talking east coast - where a 4500 or 5500 size will get you beat by a big fish

Don't know about the left side

4 hours ago, rxx2 said:

Thanks Sudsy!

I never figured it could just be sand under the rotor.

Sweet learning something new! Thanks!

I didn't quite phrase that right, "in the rotor, under the spool"

12 hours ago, Sudsy said:

I am talking east coast - where a 4500 or 5500 size will get you beat by a big fish

Don't know about the left side

Yeah, haven’t fished the right coast, so I can’t speak from personal experience, but I think we’re generally fishing smaller fish. I’m also fishing north of the golden gate where I think they’re a bit smaller than SF or San Mateo county.

On the other hand, I’ve only been able to put the time in for the last couple of years. I’ll let others chime in.

I'd say max would be $750 but only if I knew I would have no problems with little maintenance or stellar service if there was a problem.

So far it's only been surfperch. Thinking about stripers.

$750 opens the door for a lot of options.  For here on the west coast, a Van Staal VR50-VR150 paired with a 9' ODM Genesis would be quite a versatile setup for the beach, and can double for both perch and striped bass.  The VR150 can be converted from bailed to bailless if you so choose, and can withstand most external elements if not abused.  

Another (less expensive) reel to consider would be the Penn Slammer III. 

If you plan on swimming with the reel, you may want to beef up to a VS150 or VS150XP, but those situations are rare for the average surf fishermen out in these parts.  With proper maintenance any of these reels will last you many many seasons.