KnewBee

June Fishing Reports

130 posts in this topic

Early morning trip to get ahead of the oppressive heat.   They were only interested in plastics (swim senko) and first trip in a while where I didn't catch any dinks!   1-9, 1-13, 3-1 and a favorite bowfin.   Very happy to be back on the water.

three one.jpg

bow.jpg

Knewbee, I am so jealous of those bowfins you post.  It’s a fish that attained evolutionary perfection 300+ million years ago and hasn’t changed since.  It watched the dinosaurs come and go.  300 million years is a good biological run.  Wish they were more common here in NJ.  Some young kid broke the state record last year for bowfin.

31 mins ago, pat the nat said:

Knewbee, I am so jealous of those bowfins you post.  It’s a fish that attained evolutionary perfection 300+ million years ago and hasn’t changed since.  It watched the dinosaurs come and go.  300 million years is a good biological run.  Wish they were more common here in NJ.  Some young kid broke the state record last year for bowfin.

They range all up and down the east coast, even into Canada.   I guess I am lucky there are plenty around these parts.   My best luck of finding them is in low O2 swampy areas as they can breath air, they like those conditions.   I rarely target them, usually by catch when targeting other species.   One favorite spot of mine, used to catch em every trip, but haven't in over a year, weird?

What I really want is a Snake head, but that would require about a three hour drive up to near Quantico.   They are supposed to be very tasty and even better fight than bowfin!

Did some fishing last night so i can beat the 105 degree heat index of today. I got one bullhead catfish it was around 2 - 3 lbs put up a nice fight to. I really enjoyed having the whole place to myself for a Sat night. Staying indoors today with AC blasting :) 

fished a shallow lake today early. There was action on the frog... pickerel and bass. By 8;30am it shut off.

Had a great outing Friday afternoon. Hot out but some decent wind. Big smallies were up shallow. If I could spot them and drop the ned rig near them, they were all taking it on the drop. finished with 9 fish with 3 over 3lbs, best at 3.7, long fish at 19". Fish were hungry

Sunday afternoon, insane heat + humidity and no wind made for a much tougher bite. Fish were easily spooked and not interested in my offerings but I stuck it out and landed 2 lmb's at the end of the outing, with one of those being around 3lbs. Clear water and no wind made the fish i caught really fun to watch. Also had a few swipes at topwater but no hookups.

28284387497_a8804c200d_z.jpg

28284387257_f2e31e33f2_z.jpg

28284387187_210caa0d0f_z.jpg

4 hours ago, tcal4404 said:

Had a great outing Friday afternoon. Hot out but some decent wind. Big smallies were up shallow. If I could spot them and drop the ned rig near them, they were all taking it on the drop. finished with 9 fish with 3 over 3lbs, best at 3.7, long fish at 19". Fish were hungry

Sunday afternoon, insane heat + humidity and no wind made for a much tougher bite. Fish were easily spooked and not interested in my offerings but I stuck it out and landed 2 lmb's at the end of the outing, with one of those being around 3lbs. Clear water and no wind made the fish i caught really fun to watch. Also had a few swipes at topwater but no hookups.

28284387497_a8804c200d_z.jpg

28284387257_f2e31e33f2_z.jpg

28284387187_210caa0d0f_z.jpg

niceeeeee :hooked:

On 6/30/2018 at 9:33 PM, pat the nat said:

I agree! Pretty darn cool fish... I’d love to catch one as well, extremely rare here in central PA however.

1 hour ago, TJones said:

I agree! Pretty darn cool fish... I’d love to catch one as well, extremely rare here in central PA however.

First time I ever targeted bowfins here in NJ (tipped off to a reliable spot by a friend) I put out two lines.  Both got hit at the same time.  Never caught one before and here I am with two on the bank.  Got the wobbly knees on that catch.  Couldn’t believe it.

7 hours ago, pat the nat said:

First time I ever targeted bowfins here in NJ (tipped off to a reliable spot by a friend) I put out two lines.  Both got hit at the same time.  Never caught one before and here I am with two on the bank.  Got the wobbly knees on that catch.  Couldn’t believe it.

Ha ha wow, Pat,  that’s awesome! I know I would get worked up over that catch as well.

I think they are more common out western PA and especially Erie... may have to make that happen!