jeffory

avet trx 80w or penn senator 12/0 or 14/0 for shark

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Thinking of the avet trx 80w or the penn senator 12/0 or 14/0.  I plan to use either of these on a Barrett stand up shark rod.  Just wondering what everyone thinks?  Obviously there is a huge price difference.  I'm trying to justify if it's worth spending the bigger money on the avet.  Even spending the bigger money on the Barrett rod makes me wonder if there's a better choice or less expensive choice that will do the job just fine.

Thanks

That's all very heavy duty shark gear. In which way will you be targeting them??? Most guys use smaller reels 50's being the biggest. These days it's compact reels with lots of braid and a mono top shot.

This might be the first mention of the Avet TRX reels I have ever seen here.  

The OP's discussing very, very, very heavyweight tackle, far heavier then anything I've seen discussed here.  Jeffory, whatever you do, please do report on how your chosen tackle works out.

You'll need sharks of 600+ and up to make such tackle appropriate, good luck finding them. 

Get a regular 80w, senators will smoke, nothing like holding a 12/0 that's burning up. The TRX drag is unfishable to a degree, I've pulled 60 in a harness and that's no fun at all.

54 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Unless you want or need to fish monofilament, is there even a point to 80 or 80W or bigger reels anymore?  

Sounds like it would suck to hold an 80W on a stand up out fit.

With modern braided lines, I think you have a point though. Take a look at what zcoker has been able to do with his Penn SSV10500's and Slammer 10500's spooled up with just 65lb braid.

The Slammer 10500 I have took a whopping 900yds of 65lb Spiderwire blue camo before I had to cut it inorder to have 600yds left for my Slammer 8500. I honestly could have dropped another 100yds of 65lb braid onto that Slammer 10500 without issue, but at least I have room for some serious top shot.

Lines like Berkley Pro Spec have some very very high breaking strengths for their diameter.

Aquaholik has test the 80lb Berkley Pro Spec to 117lbs abs, the abs of the FG knot I think was around 80lbs. I have an Avet HXW Raptor that was able to take about 900yds of the 80lb Berkley Pro Spec. The set-up has been enjoyable to use so far as well due to its compact size.

Ummm.  Well.  

I wish you, and everyone else who seeks big fish on spinning tackle, the best of luck. Personally, I'll take a modern conventional. The line will go out of the reel, and come back in, without the right-angle turn around the bail; the mechanical engineering is cleaner. A dual drag design, like Accurate pioneered, is great if I really need that much drag. If I'm hauled into a collision with a boat rail, the conventional is less susceptible to damage then the bail on a spinner, and I can cheat by leaning the outfit on the rail if I must. If the situation is one that needs casting, I can do that with a star drag adequately well.   

5 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Ummm.  Well.  

I wish you, and everyone else who seeks big fish on spinning tackle, the best of luck. Personally, I'll take a modern conventional. The line will go out of the reel, and come back in, without the right-angle turn around the bail; the mechanical engineering is cleaner. A dual drag design, like Accurate pioneered, is great if I really need that much drag. If I'm hauled into a collision with a boat rail, the conventional is less susceptible to damage then the bail on a spinner, and I can cheat by leaning the outfit on the rail if I must. If the situation is one that needs casting, I can do that with a star drag adequately well.   

The Drag systems of modern spinners are nothing to sleep on, trust me.:)

6 hours ago, peanutbunkerandjelly said:

That's all very heavy duty shark gear. In which way will you be targeting them??? Most guys use smaller reels 50's being the biggest. These days it's compact reels with lots of braid and a mono top shot.

Peanut,

The plan is to fish from the beach in Florida as I won't always have a boat to fish from.  I would kayak the bait out and drop it.  If I go with a 12' spinning surf rod I could cast 8 n bait.  I realize this may sound like overkill, but I guess I was thinking of having that one setup that can handle big fish, along with targeting goliath grouper.

5 hours ago, BrianBM said:

This might be the first mention of the Avet TRX reels I have ever seen here.  

The OP's discussing very, very, very heavyweight tackle, far heavier then anything I've seen discussed here.  Jeffory, whatever you do, please do report on how your chosen tackle works out.

You'll need sharks of 600+ and up to make such tackle appropriate, good luck finding them. 

Brian,

I do hope to be able to report back on how chosen tackle works out.  Another reason for choosing the tackle is everything I've read is, get the fish in as fast as possible vs a 1-2 hour long fight and then have the fish die of exhausting.  Maybe the Avet TRX 50W would be a better choice......

But that's why I came to this forum, to ask you guys, the experienced ones, the ones with the knowledge, to see what you guys think....... and hope to come away with a well rounded and informed decision.

4 hours ago, Grayson said:

Get a regular 80w, senators will smoke, nothing like holding a 12/0 that's burning up. The TRX drag is unfishable to a degree, I've pulled 60 in a harness and that's no fun at all.

Grayson,

When you say the TRX is unfishable to a degree.....do you mean because you had the drag set to 60??  Couldn't you have lowered the drag??

1 hour ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Sounds like it would suck to hold an 80W on a stand up out fit.

With modern braided lines, I think you have a point though. Take a look at what zcoker has been able to do with his Penn SSV10500's and Slammer 10500's spooled up with just 65lb braid.

The Slammer 10500 I have took a whopping 900yds of 65lb Spiderwire blue camo before I had to cut it inorder to have 600yds left for my Slammer 8500. I honestly could have dropped another 100yds of 65lb braid onto that Slammer 10500 without issue, but at least I have room for some serious top shot.

Beast,

I will take a look at these reels too.  Would they be better matched up with a 12' surf rod 3-8oz.?

As far as braid goes on the 80W, most of what I have read says it's better to go with 130-200lb mono, especially if you're going to be in structure, less chance of losing the fish due to being cut off with braid.