jwhalen

would a battle ii 4000 be a bit heavy for freshwater bass fishing?

25 posts in this topic

I think my above title sort of explains it.I dont use baitcasting gear for bass fishing.I would like to pair my battle ii 4000 with a medium heavy spinning rod so I could throw bigger lures for bass fishing thanks for any input.

I mean its doable, especially if you are targeting larger bass, might not be the most practical reel to use, but it would deff get the job done

I have used my Battle II 2500 fluke reel for bass with 10Lb PP braid... worked fine for me I see no reason the 4k wouldnt get the job done

A  bit much, yes. But, it would sure have the torque needed if you're pulling 'em out of weeds. If you're boat/kayak fishing, most people use a couple rods, anyhow. A person could have a finesse rod and a heavy duty rod (I do this when yakking bass)

My son uses a 2500 for damned near everything.   Its his main bass reel and doubles nicely for light back bay 

The 4000 wouldnt be what someone would suggest to you, but of course it'll work, sure.   "balance" on the rod will be the main issue, which is mostly personal preference anyway.

It sounds like you are trying to make use of a reel you have, instead of buying another one.  In that case, go for it, and then later on...

Posted (edited) · Report post

I believe SOLer, Bennie? uses a Torque for catfishing and smallies. I asked him about it and he said something like ''You never know what you'll get into''

Edited by richie c

I recently bought a Shimano Sahara 2500 spooled with 8 braid on the BST and paired it to an Ugly Stick 6'6'' intercoastal and its fine for my FW needs.

If you are buying a new reel I would get a 3000 sized reel. Same as a 2500 but with a little more line capacity. 4000 size is way overkill.

Do any of you using 2500 size reels for all your freshwater use flip heavy cover? or frog in thick mats? or throw big swimbaits over 2-3 ounces? 8-10lb line just doesn't cut it.  A baitcaster is better imo (more power), but a 4000 spinner with should work decent for heavy line bass tactics.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I fluke with a Penn conflict 2000 spooled w/ 6# braid paired w/an inshore 7' avid in the surf , it would probably be perfect for LMB 

Edited by nchit

17 mins ago, nchit said:

I fluke with a Penn conflict 2000 spooled w/ 6# braid paired w/an inshore 7' avid in the surf , it would probably be perfect for LMB 

Perfect for anything with light wire hooks, op was asking about big baits if I read it right.

44 mins ago, nateD said:

Perfect for anything with light wire hooks, op was asking about big baits if I read it right.

My fault I missed that