donttreadonmear15

Opinions/Reviews on Quantum's saltwater spinning reals

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I'm in the market for a 5000 size spinning reel. I love Quantum's baitcasting reels but never owned one of there spinning reels. I would be using the reel as dual purpose reel for casting lures in the surf and for inshore use on a boat or maybe kayak. I'm looking at the Cabo 50, Boca 50, and Iron 50pt. The reasons I'm considering Quantum is because they seem like a lot of reel for the money, they are incredibly light, and have a lot of drag. Also, they an aluminum 1 piece construction and what ever they call salt resistant coating (i know they are not sealed and don't have the money for a truly sealed reel (aka VS or ZB)). What problems have you guys had with these reels and what do you like and dislike about them. Also, the price difference is that much between the three reels Cabo $200, Boca $150, and Iron $130 which makes my decision a little harder. 

I've had a cabo 50 for several years.. it doesn't get much use anymore but it's a great reel and I still keep it around as a loner.. the drag on the cabo reels was very impressive. Probably one of the smoothest drags I've ever used.. I would not however, consider the reel light weight, at least not when compared to several other reels I own in a similar size like the ballistic..

I'm not gonna knock the quantum cabo, as it served me very well and has never given me a single issue. I wish they would put in some r&d time and come out with an upgraded model.. I am going to point out that while they were very well made reels and probably one of my top picks in that price range several years ago, they have not been updated in many years while other manufacturers are advancing by leaps and bounds past them..  in those years the tech used in reels has come down in price so much that your now getting tech from $500-$900 reels being used in $100-$250 reels.. if you can take advantage of those tech upgrades at the same cost, why not?

DAIWA is making some pretty amazing reels in the same price range that do offer some sealing.. The ballistic LT 5000 is Mag sealed and about HALF the weight of the cabo 50. It doesn't offer quite as much drag (26.4lbs vs 35lbs) but IMHO it's not likely you'll ever need 35lbs of drag in a 5000 sized reel targeting inshore and surf species..

The saragosa is another fantastic option, and probably one of my favorite 5000 sized reels.. offers some well placed seals and shimanos "core protect" coating as well.

For your stated intended use, some surf, inshore and kayak, I personally would prefer a reel with some seals.. I use my reels in the surf and sand/water intrusion is not a concern with some well placed seals.. I also use my reels for kayak fishing and, IMHO, seals on the kayak are even more important. My kayak reels are always getting soaked... 

In the end, I like the cabo, and if your heart is set on a quantum then the cabo is far and away the best choice of the 3 reels you listed.. but before pulling the trigger on the purchase please go handle a daiwa ballistic or other similar reel and see how you feel about it. You may find that some seals will greatly extend the functional life of your new purchase. 

I have 3 Boca's and have liked them alot. I think the drags are very smooth for reels in that price range. Have had no problems with any of them.

I think the Boca 50 is one the best value spinners out there. Especially the size 50. The weight and capacity make this reel very ideal for a beach or inshore fisherman and it has become one of my favorites reels. I have 3 and all have been fine and one has been punished to no end. Make sure to seek out the ptsE models. The ptsD  is slightly older. The handle was redesigned in the E model Boca. $100-$150 is what I care to spend on reels. 

I have both of these Cabo 50 the top one is heavy but a couple years old no problems still in the rotation when chunking. The bottom was is light and has been very good to me still use it in the early spring. The only problem I had was the sealed anti reverse went after a year or two can’t remember but they sent me a new one or refurbished but I haven’t had any problem since. Also have the smoke 40 the only thing I didn’t like about that was the knob was to small so I upgraded that. I also took the bail trip out of the smoke and newer Cabo. 

82AE43EF-23E9-4DC7-B8AB-906E3B08FB6F.jpeg

D3A03DC4-3B84-4164-B9B8-243D71F41013.jpeg

I Have a smoke inshore 40 and a cabo 50. Absolutely love them both. While they aren't sealed they can still take quite a beating and continue pulling in fish. I've dropped mine in the sand, gone under when I feel off a sod bank, dunked them, and they never skipped a beat. I wouldn't recommend reeling under water, but short of that they can't be destroyed.

I have a Cabo 40 that has been my primary reel for a decade. The ceramic drag is unkillable. All it gets is a little hose rinse after use.

Imhavent even lubed it in all the time I have owned it......

Strange. I had the opposite experience with a Cabo 60, it would freeze up at the sight of salt water. Hated it. The smokes look promising, almost bought one but I have had good luck with shimano and went with a spheros.

As good as they are.....nothing they offer makes them equal or better than the spheros or saragosa sw reels for surf and inshore.

Those 2 shimanos reels and the slammer are the only reels in the price range that really matter 

I had a Cabo 40 the first or second year they were produced.  It lasted about 6 months before the gears failed even though it was rinsed in fresh water after every use.  Maybe the original problems have been fixed, but I'll stay with my Penn Slammers.  That said, I just picked up a Daiwa BG 3000 for my light surf 8' rod; we'll see what I got for $90.  Looks and feels good out of the box though.