Fastway Fishing

Freshwater Striped bass plugs/lures

22 posts in this topic

54 mins ago, Fastway Fishing said:

Awesome thank you for the advice, when you are determining where to fish as far as which points or creek beds, do you rely on sonar more or just use the contours to figure out where the fish should be instead of where you see them? I got the Simrad GO7 XSE a couple months ago and haven't figured it out completely yet, but I really like it. 

The theory I came up with and stick to is = if the striper is in 20ft of water or less, then he's there looking for shad and or herring. I keep my boat out over 25ft of water and begin to work the bank, don't worry about casting so close to the bank since even the bigger stripers can be in 2 ft of water. I generally don't worry to much about what I mark on my sonar when doing this. If I see some scattered bait on my graph cool but even if I don't I'm still gonna fish it. The name of the game with this fishing is running and gunning and then doubling back an hour or more later and hitting the productive areas wherever you had action earlier in the evening. My main purpose for my sonar at night is depth, water temp and lake map.

Dont get caught up in the moment and let a couple bites give you tunnel vision. Don't camp on a spot for more than 30 minutes or until they stopen biting whichever comes first. The fish won't necessarily leave right away but they will wise up pretty quick and snub your jerkbait. Leaving like this gives them time to loosen up and get comformable by the time you loop back around. 

To clarify my opening line, when I find stripers at night deeper than 25ft and usually out vover open water I just skip right on by taking maybe one or two casts. If they are in 20ft or less they are eating, if they are deeper and out over open water they are usually neutral or completely shut down. 

3 hours ago, jerseycat9 said:

To clarify my opening line, when I find stripers at night deeper than 25ft and usually out vover open water I just skip right on by taking maybe one or two casts. If they are in 20ft or less they are eating, if they are deeper and out over open water they are usually neutral or completely shut down. 

Interesting, so it sounds like you just try to cover as much ground as possible, and hit familiar spots that have worked in the past, instead of using sonar to locate where fish could be.  It will take me a good while before I am very familiar with either lake that I fish, but I love fishing more than anything in the world, and will put whatever time I need to put in to make it happen.

3 hours ago, Fastway Fishing said:

Interesting, so it sounds like you just try to cover as much ground as possible, and hit familiar spots that have worked in the past, instead of using sonar to locate where fish could be.  It will take me a good while before I am very familiar with either lake that I fish, but I love fishing more than anything in the world, and will put whatever time I need to put in to make it happen.

It's not as overwhelming as I made it sound. I should have detailed the tactic a bit more. 

In the early to mid fall start on the southern half of your lake closed to the dam. The fish won't spread all the way back up the lake again until mid to late December usually cept for a few fish coming back down out of the river that held over during the summer.

Pick a medium to large creek arm and start at the mouth nearest the main river channel and start working your way back paying attention to where you had action and whereally it died off. Once you work the whole creek arm over from front to back you should have a pretty good idea of where to target specifically in the next creek arm.

Say you had good action from the mouth to about midway back, you would start at the mouth and work your way about halfway back and then hop on to the next creek. And as the night roll's on you might find yourself getting bites further and further back into the creek arm. 

Pretty much just gotta stay alert and pay attention to what the lake is trying to tell ya. What I have come to find out is if one school of striper's are feeding at a certain depth on a certain bait in particular chances are the stripers in the next creek over are probably on a similar pattern.

Wow really great tips and advice, I will deff put them to use for sure.  I have been studying maps of the lakes in my free time and have pretty much mapped out a good plan I think for the cold weather times.  Then when I have success somewhere, I can mark the waypoint on my chart plotter so its easy to find in the future, and go back to it.  Its just going to take some time put in, I feel like I have really good instincts about finding fish and fish patterns.

I use bucktails and various topwater plugs to fish for them in the lakes and rivers in South Carolina. If you can find them, sebille magic swimmer natural shiner 1st generation works the best for me though.