June 2018 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

8 hours ago, MC55 said:

So the switch in wind to the NE this morning made it interesting.  Found 5 and no little guys.  All nice size fish with lots of spunk.  Got the first one about a 1/2 hour before sun up using the white swimmer.  Hit the tape at 27 inches.  Then it stayed quiet until 7:30 or so when i finally had some water movement and fished the bugs.  From there pulled out a 26", 29", 30" and 31".  Also had a couple of other pickups and drops.  Was nice to break the self release uncoupling streak I was on.  Will be heading back to that same area in the morning to see if they stick around.  Also had a chance to pass along some knowledge to a young man just starting to get the surf fishing itch.

June 26, 2018  30 inches.JPG

June 26, 2018 30 inches.JPG

June 26, 2018.jpeg

That's beatiful man...

There's a youngin that fishes in my area. My friend dubbed him "The River Kid." He usually emulated the bait guys who use surf tackle to catch 10inch (max) white perch. After he saw me pull in keeper-sized stripers, he always has a paddle tail fluke in his arsenal

19 hours ago, MC55 said:

So the switch in wind to the NE this morning made it interesting.  Found 5 and no little guys.  All nice size fish with lots of spunk.  Got the first one about a 1/2 hour before sun up using the white swimmer.  Hit the tape at 27 inches.  Then it stayed quiet until 7:30 or so when i finally had some water movement and fished the bugs.  From there pulled out a 26", 29", 30" and 31".  Also had a couple of other pickups and drops.  Was nice to break the self release uncoupling streak I was on.  Will be heading back to that same area in the morning to see if they stick around.  Also had a chance to pass along some knowledge to a young man just starting to get the surf fishing itch.

Nice fishing MC. Won't be long until you're the only person on the NJ forum posting pics of bass instead of flounder through the summer :th:

16 hours ago, MCNJFisher said:

Had a buddy come home to visit from Florida so we decided to soak some clams out front while we caught up.  Got out there from 6-9.  Felt the first tap after about a half hour and set the hook on decent sized bass, I didn't get a measurement on her but she was in the 29-33 inch range.  No action for around an hour then pulled in a nice 34" 15# bass.  Unfortunately she was gut hooked so she came home for dinner.  No more bites in the last hour an a half.  I cut the stomach open when I got home and it was filled with small crabs.  

IMG_1874.JPEG

IMG_1877.JPEG

Nice going kiddo!!

Have you seen your Alaskan friends latest King quests!   He's sending some fillets home so will make sure I get you a couple.  

"Starving dogs begging for scraps. The big picture is not important as long as we can get our scraps."

20 hours ago, MC55 said:

June 26, 2018  30 inches.JPG

June 26, 2018 30 inches.JPG

June 26, 2018.jpeg

Awesome MC,

Once again proving that you’re not only an excellent surf fisher (and lure designer), but a true quality individual. 

The world needs more peeps like you. You make surf fisherman look good, which is very important in this day & age of challanging access, imbalanced & unwarrenetd regulation, and a few less than steller surf fishers out there making us look bad.

Plus, many of us might not be enjoying this amazing and many facitited sport today if it wasn’t for someone like you pointing us in the right direction.

Major cudos & keep it up brother!

JD

Appreciate the comments from my post yesterday.  We need to keep encouraging the kids to get out there whenever we can.

Not as productive today with a steady south wind pushing a south to north current along the sand.  Water was still clean and clear, but slightly cooler then yesterday.  Picked up 3 in the 22 inch range, all on the white swimmer.  Tried to get the bugs out there, but wind and current just wasn't having it.  Not looking good for morning with T-Storms forecast and the south to SE wind continuing.  Looks like Friday will be the next shot.

3 hours ago, adams54 said:

Good morning, I need a little help with my technique for drifting the sand bugs. How far should i be casting these little guys? Also..what part of the water column should i be targeting? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's my two cents.  I don't worry about how far to cast.  Throw it far enough to get into some moving water and let the natural flow take over.  Now that's if you use my method of a circle hook and a split shot.  I have caught fish at the lip as well as out past the ends of the rocks using this technique.  Hope this is helpful.

52 mins ago, MC55 said:

Here's my two cents.  I don't worry about how far to cast.  Throw it far enough to get into some moving water and let the natural flow take over.  Now that's if you use my method of a circle hook and a split shot.  I have caught fish at the lip as well as out past the ends of the rocks using this technique.  Hope this is helpful.

Extremely helpful..thanks for the advice. As everyone else has stated you are a wealthof information and a great guy to boot. Maybe one day our paths will cross on the beaches of moco..would love to meet the legend!

5 hours ago, cartopper said:

Nice going kiddo!!

Have you seen your Alaskan friends latest King quests!   He's sending some fillets home so will make sure I get you a couple.  

I have! Steve has been sending me pics and I've been oozing with jealousy! 

outback moco last night from 9-10:30. fished the start of the outgoing.  Pulled in 5 bass ranging from 10"-17" and two short fluke using the gulp shaky shads with a light jig head.  Was about to call it quits until I saw a school of bunker swim within casting range and I switched up to a mini danny that I 3d printed and pulled in one more striper about 15".  The last bass wasn't any bigger than the rest but she really attacked that danny.   

34 mins ago, MCNJFisher said:

I switched up to a mini danny that I 3d printed 

I believe that's the first time that's ever been said in this forum

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

• Sudsy locked this topic