Delmarva Fishin' Reports - June 2018

Rate this topic

luckyOC

21 hours ago, DennisBKLYN215 said:

Was it Randazzo's?

No, I forget the name now, But I worked the store in years 1962 to 1965, Summer vacation,Easter, any time I was off from school a week or more. My Fathers cousin Vinny was a partner in the store. I remember getting up about 1: a.m. or 2:am to go fishing in Cony Island at the fishing pier for Whiting, we would catch a few bushel's and sell them in the store. It was great crowing up then. I do know there was a A.& P market  on the same street, A Salamada across the street and an Italian club next store. I would deliver fish and Eels for them to cook. They would make me play Bochi ball, and drink wine with them. Not bad for a 13 year old.

Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.

If I'm not mistaken , I think Ray's piss through there skin like some sharks do. I heard it makes for an ammonia taste in the meat. Maybe Skates are different. Brooklyn. your right on quick judging something, But were all human. I think the op understood and didn't think much about it. Tight lines.

Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.

23 hours ago, Titanty said:

Do they taste like shark at all?  I was just thinking they might since rays and skates are "closely related" to sharks.

No,  they don't taste like shark. The texture is soft,  but the meat stays together very well.  Very similar to scallops.  Sweet in taste and they can "take-on" different sauces very well.  YouTube has a ton of videos.  

Bad weather Sunday and dirty water Monday kept me from having much of a window the past weekend.  Found a few shorts, blues and shad in the usual spots on Saturday... at least I got out there. 

Attended a memorial service on Plum Island for a long-time friend who lost his battle with depression/addiction. Excellent fisherman, great family and just 34 years old. His young daughter and girlfriend as well as many others missing him very much right now. It's not easy to understand how this happens, but you hope you did everything you could when you had the chance. 

But not for the grace of God there goes I. 

Not in this area but a 58lb striper was caught in the Hudson river last weekend, out of a boat, under the Beacon bridge.

My thought was, isn't it kind of late in the season for a striper of that size to be that far north in the river? Maybe late spawning, maybe a good food source, maybe some just hang around? Don't know, maybe it's common, never fished the Hudson.

Another thought, are all the large stripers (cows = 40#+) out of the Chesapeake by early June, or do some stay in the bay? 

I live in the Upper Delaware River area, we have sea run stripers up to about 36" make there appearance about May and gobble trout all summer long. Some are believed to be residential. Never heard of a cow this far north though.

ASSUME NOTHING