Wild mushrooms

Rate this topic

On 7/30/2018 at 6:12 PM, forester said:

Bicolor and king boletes.    Porcini mushrooms.    I wait all year for these flushes.    

61410271-759C-485B-8A15-114B2FCB7C2B.jpeg

Been seeing these in the yard for a month.   Pretty sure these are king boletes but nobody will eat them unless a certified opinion is obtained so they just rot.  

6C6CB53C-E4A8-43EC-B980-F3D7241DE295.jpeg

BD30B6AB-44E9-461D-8426-2354A53D1E69.jpeg

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

4 mins ago, derangler said:

A rainy July and the Pennsylvania woods are loaded with chanterelles.  I found six different patches just driving the back roads around my parents' house.

chanterelles.jpg

Do you pick every mushroom, or leave some to reproduce for next season?

The mushroom that you see is just the fruiting body.  So I cut them rather than ripping them out, so as to not disturb the mycelium.  Chanterelles are one species that will pop up in the same spots every year when the conditions are right.

In this case, I was a few days late.  So only maybe 10% of what I found was still worth taking. 

Fish the edges.

50 mins ago, derangler said:

The mushroom that you see is just the fruiting body.  So I cut them rather than ripping them out, so as to not disturb the mycelium.  Chanterelles are one species that will pop up in the same spots every year when the conditions are right.

In this case, I was a few days late.  So only maybe 10% of what I found was still worth taking. 

Cool, thanks for the explanation

On 8/8/2018 at 0:03 PM, jkrock said:

I know nothing about mushrooms.  These are 8-10 feet up on a large  live beech tree. Mushroom is about 18 inches by a foot.  There are two smaller clusters of the same up a little higher you can see in the first picture.  Is this chicken of the woods?

769EE034-C05C-47A3-8513-C376D78295C3.jpeg

19D71623-CF5A-4A64-A763-B8D41D5056F2.jpeg

On 8/8/2018 at 11:50 PM, JaseB said:

That shape and texture looks right, buy I've never seen them white like that.  Usually they are orange fading to an electric yellowish.

I found a bag of chanterelles the other day.  That's some good eats.

On 8/9/2018 at 5:08 AM, jkrock said:

Thanks.  I was curious but not curious enough to eat it, even if someone on the internet confirms it’s identity.

its on a tree in a cemetery, which I took as an omen. :rav:

21 hours ago, JaseB said:

Yeah, I know what it looks like and do eat it, and I wouldn't try that. 

I had a long night by myself in our hunting cabin with too much Jim Beam, 3 mushroom books and a bunch or Coral Mushroom that 2 out of 3 books mostly looked like it was the "safe" kind to eat.    I still can't believe I survived my early 20's. 

21 hours ago, jkrock said:

I'm a chicken when it comes to mushrooms.  I was hunting in washington state one day and the gravel roads I was on were full of morels.  A guy I met was picking them and filling his hat.  I took a pass, even though they looked great.

17 hours ago, JimW said:

Coral mushroom?

94991698-9DFB-4D42-8703-740CE08A88A0.jpeg

17 hours ago, JaseB said:

One of the many types.  Don't ask me if that's the good one or the one that makes your stomach turn itself inside out and makes your head start throbbing.

15 hours ago, JimW said:

Didn’t tempt me.   The king and bicolor boletes do.  Also have an amanita that I think will really have you tripping after the puking.  Even found one morel. 

15 hours ago, Lou T said:

I'm no expert, but I remember seeing a film on harvesting them. They where found on oak, not on white birch...:wag:, and although similar in appearance not really. So I looked it up and this is what I found.

Laetiporus cincinnatus (right) - Also found in Eastern North America, although this species is often more reddish. Laetiporus conifericola - A yellowish species found in Western North America that often fruits on conifers. Laetiporus gilbertsonii - The West Coast version that's found on oaks and eucalyptus trees.

Related image

Related image

Related image

I believe they are harvested in the fall. Being a chicken just might of saved your butt..;)  

14 hours ago, ted527 said:

What are these?

0239F90E-3673-4C0B-BE6B-81176645FD8D.jpeg